Pancreatitis and food

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The vet originally was trying to sell me an 8pound bag for 70 bucks. I told her that I couldn't afford that. I have a type 1 diabetic son and that is a heck of expensive disease...can't afford to buy that expensive food for my cat. So I am wondering what is good low fat food for a cat that has pancreatitis that isnt going to break the bank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again. This is what B babiesmom5 offered in a previous thread regarding pancreatitis in general, and foods she used to battle it with her cats. (To display her full post, hit the "Click to expand" notation.)

Having been down the rocky road of Pancreatitis with four cats, as well as having lost one beloved cat to this dreadful disease, I remain on "red alert" to it with my present two cats as well as to cats here.

As I have said repeatedly on this site, Pancreatitis does not happen in a vacuum. It is a symptom of a chronic underlying illness centered in or around the gastrointestinal area. In my case, it was diabetes once and IBD in the other cases.

Pancreatitis is often chronic, as it appears to be in your case. It can remain asymptomatic for a long time, like a smouldering ember, but then suddenly, for unexplained reasons, suddenly erupts into a wildfire which often can be fatal. Believe me, I know!

As @daftcat75 recommended above, I strongly suggest a GI ultrasound to see what is causing the Pancreatitis.
I agree that the longer this inflammation is allowed to continue, it can result in scarring and compromised function of the pancreas leading to diabetes.

The only treatment strategies proven effective for pancreatitis are fluid therapy, pain management and nutritional support. The cat has to eat...but no dry food. The more moisture in the diet the better.

I have one cat now who has IBD and who developed very symptomatic Pancreatitis last summer. After three days in the ER, I have her now on strictly a high moisture content diet. She was on canned food before but after that bout, I switched her to all natural, grain, gluten free food in pouches. She gets Wellness Morsels, Weruva, Soulistic, BFF or Tiki Cat. The theory is to keep the pancreas bathed in fluids thus reducing inflammation.

So far, so good. No reoccurance of the Pancreatitis and her pancreatic levels are normal.

In addition to getting an ultrasound, I would also get a second opinion, preferably from an Internal Medicine Vet who is more knowledgeable and experienced in this area. Do not wait until a Pancreatitis flare!
Hope to hear an update soon on your other thread about the vet visit!!