Pallina, The Cat Who Went To Belgium

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today marks a month since I lost my Pallina.

It was a freezing morning in early January 2002 when I saw a new cat in my colony at my workplace.
From a long distance I thought it was Lola's father, who had been missing for a few weeks, but when I got closer I saw it was a blow-in, a cat not belonging to the colony.
This meant that Lola's father wasn't coming back, he had disappeared for good...

This new cat was much younger, a girl, a nice girl with an attitude. She was trying to draw other people's attention on her, but it was me who got close to her and she responded with purrs and headbutts.
I started feeding her, separately from the rest of the colony because it seemed she wasn't welcome.
The weather was deteriorating and every day it was colder than the day before, to the point that the wet food would freeze in the dishes long before any cat could eat it.

On a very cold day, January 18, I picked her up, put her into a carrier and brought her home.
I told my wife it was just to give this lovely girl the chance to stay warm until we could be able to find her real family. I was sure that she was lost, she was too friendly to be a feral. So we started looking for posters in the area where my colony is.
After a long Sunday of searching, we were tired and were going back home, when we saw a kitten, similar to the one I had found, jumping over a fence, into a property. The property was abandoned, and more cats were into that property, some of them were alike to mine. We saw some disposable dishes around, so someone was taking care of these cats.
I went back to that spot on the next day and saw a man who was feeding those cats. I asked him if he was missing a cat in his colony, he said "Yes". I told him I had found one, he said "Well, just keep her, if you don't mind. I'm happy she has a home now".

So we kept her, but were determined to find her a new home. Lola wasn't so happy to have a stranger in her house, so they would live in two separate rooms.
This lovely kitten understood she wasn't going anywhere and decided it was time to show her real attitude. A small lion, that didn't want to be cuddled, touched, or even stared at. She was very aggressive and could easily scratch and bite.
It took months to me to tame her, and over a year to have her on my lap. The lovely girl had been looking for a dumb who could take her home, and she had found him.

We named her Pallina, a funny and silly name, but very common over here. She was about 8-9 months old when I took her to the vet for a first check-up, so we counted backwards and picked May 3, 2001, as her birth date. She was very cute, I was sure several people would have liked to adopt her...
Well, nobody wanted to adopt her, so it ended up that she stayed with us as a second cat. Romeo, Lola's brother had died less than a year before, we thought that Lola and Pallina could have grown up together.

Pallina and Lola never got along, they never played together, never slept less than 1 meter apart, never ate one in sight of the other one. For years they lived as two strangers in the same house, and I think it was a real stress for both of them.

We had always wondered why Pallina left her original birthplace to settle in my colony, that is 1 km away from where we saw other cats like her.
Well, we found that out on the first New Year's Day she spent at home with us, 11 months and 2 weeks after I rescued her.
She was frightened by fireworks.
Her original colony was near to a place where, on the last day of the year, people would celebrate with fireworks.
She was likely the more fearful kitten of the litter and at the first firework she ran away, until she felt safe, at my colony.
As a matter of fact I first saw her on January 2, 2002, the first working day after those fireworks.

Pallina was a solitary cat, she would rarely join us during the daytime activities. She'd rather stay in the other room, alone, listening to us from a distance, watching the world from the window in the other room, or sleeping. We would call her to have her with us, and when she felt like joining us, she would just show on the door of the other room, look at us as she had decided to come on her own, and was happy to see that she was still part of the family, though we never kept her out.
Her only moments of reunion with us were the meal times, when she would lay on the table, just watching us eating.
On rare occasions she would curl next to us when we were watching the TV at night.
She was independent, though still needing attentions.

Fast forward to the summer 2016.
Lola was going through hell with her rare disease. Before a diagnosis was made, we were in a rollercoaster of feelings. Pallina was a very emotional cat and would pick any change in our mood and act accordingly.
During that period Pallina started eating less and was more lethargic. I felt sad for her, because I was making her live in a stressed out environment.
But when Lola had her heavy surgery and everything was back to normal, Pallina didn't resume her appetite, so I thought that something was wrong with her too.

She was visited and the diagnosis was of hyperthyroidism.
Pallina had never suffered from anything in her life, she always had a strong health and her yearly check-ups were nearly to perfect, apart from slightly high liver levels, which the vet ascribed to a birth condition, since no supplement would help her.
Also, a few months after the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, she started suffering from a supposed IBD.
My vets wanted to follow the route of the methimazole, I was against it from day one, but they said it was necessary to start a cure as soon as possible, and discuss about the I-131 treatment at a later time.
But this wasn't true, and after some months of methimazole, it was clear that I had to take control over this issue and do everything on my own.
Radio-iodine on pets isn't performed in Italy, this therapy is very little known, if not completely unknown, to pet owners over here, and even the veterinarians do not know much about it. The evidence of what I am saying is that my vets would ask me what this treatment was and how it works.

While I was arguing with my vets about the I-131 treatment for Pallina, Lola was diagnosed with an oral SCC, and I had to focus on both cats. I think it was the darkest period of my life. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, I wasn't living.
That long term of hospicing took its toll on me, I lost lots of weight and I aged faster than my age.

Then, sadly, Lola died.

I was able to devote myself entirely to Pallina and her needs, and managed to set up an appointment at a clinic abroad for the I-131 treatment, without any help from my vets.
This clinic was in Belgium, about 685 miles from home.

Ironically, when Lola had been sick with her rare disease, and I had to have her operated at a very expensive clinic, I told Pallina not to be jealous for Lola. The fact that I had spent thousands for Lola wasn't meaning that I was loving Lola more than I was loving her, and I told Pallina that, if necessary, I would have done the same for her, no matter where I had to take her to.
The famous last words...

Pallina, who had never travelled farther than her vet, found herself involved in a very long journey, a 12-hour drive, across two international borders.
She had to receive a rabies vaccine, to be microchipped and have a European Pet Passport issued in order to travel abroad.
We were doing something unusual, but we were so proud!

The I-131 treatment was successful, Pallina got back home a few days later, she was totally healed. I had spent lots of money, but it was well worth it.
The news spread among several vets, who told me that I was probably the first person in this country to have treated a cat this way, and I was so proud of what I did that I told several persons that Pallina had been definitely cured for her hyperthyroidism.
Soon Pallina was known and referred to as "the cat who went to Belgium".

A few months later, though, something was wrong, and Pallina started eating less and less, again, and throwing up more and more often.
More visits, more tests, more expenses. All clues were leading to a liver disease, but no treatment seemed really effective, and we kept doing blood works and ultrasound scans in the attempt to see something.

When the spring 2018 came she was feeling much better, and we thought that the worst was behind us.
I and my wife were able to leave Pallina home during our holidays in June. The two cat-sitters were trained enough to deal with an elder cat and her medicines. They knew her very well.
The news we were receiving twice daily during our holidays was good. Pallina was fine, she was eating a lot, everything was perfect.

On the night we came back home from our holidays, we found Pallina at her dish, she was eating when we opened the door, I felt guilty for interrupting her meal. When she saw us she ran to us bursting with joy. She stopped eating that night.
Well, from that night on, she never ate her daily amount again, and four days later I took her to the same Veterinary University professor who had been visiting her in the last months. He didn't see anything weird, and told me to keep giving her her medicines as prescribed.

But things went downhill quick.
In the following two weeks Pallina was hospitalized three times, and every time she was discharged without a clear diagnosis. She was receiving IV fluids and meds at the clinic, and she was fine and eating, but as soon as she was home, without IV's, she was sick and not eating.

My last resort was to hospitalize her at the Veterinary University Hospital, where she stayed for nearly a week, until a doctor said it was time to take her home and wait for the end, because Pallina wouldn't ever recover from her condition, her days were numbered.

I felt like I was dying myself.
I went home with Pallina, and on the next day I told everything to a person at work and she said that there was clinic nearby, a clinic I never heard about before.
I called them and took Pallina in, they ran an ultrasound and saw something that others hadn't seen, a deformity in her bile duct that was preventing the bile from flowing freely towards her intestine. This bile building up was damaging her liver, hence the disease.
Why didn't other vets see that?
Was it a birth condition, as my first vet speculated, hence the slightly high liver levels she had always had?
Or was it an acquired condition due to her age or other physical issues?
A dangerous (and very costly) surgery was necessary to correct that deformity, Pallina was very sick and debilitated, the surgery was highly risky. They told me I should have taken her in at least 3 months earlier, but I told them I hadn't wasted her time, because I had her checked several times in the last months.
These vets didn't want to listen my excuses, I was wrong, I had wasted a chance!

The surgery went well, Pallina survived and three days later she was able to come home. I was giving the doctors my last savings to pay for the bill.
But things weren't going as expected, and I had to take her back.
The doctors said that Pallina was needing a blood transfusion to save her life. For the transfusion I needed a donor.
I have two semi-feral cats in my yard, one of them was a good candidate, according to these vets.
The cost of the transfusion was equal to what I still had in my wallet, and after that, I would have been penniless!

I went back home with Pallina and told her to be strong, because on the next day one of her "friends from outside" would have given her a hand.
I went to bed around midnight. I woke up 50 minutes later and went to check on her, she was breathing bad, I just cuddled her and went back to bed.
Two hours later I woke up again, went to her... she was gone!

I wished it was a nightmare, but the adrenaline shock I had should have woken me up. I was awake already, and Pallina was dead!
I called my wife, I told her what had just happened. I still remember my words, but I still can't believe those words came out from my mouth.
I will never forget the feelings in those moments. It was August 8, full summer, but suddenly the house turned cold, as cold as Pallina was...

I wrapped her in two puppy pads I had at hand, and stayed with her for a couple of hours.

I went back to bed when it was nearly dawn, but I didn't sleep, I just cried.
I had failed Pallina, I had let her die alone, without me beside her, she didn't deserve this. I can't imagine how scared she was in those moments, and I wasn't there to comfort her.
I think I will never forgive myself for this.

Early in the morning I called the clinic and cancelled the appointment for the transfusion. The next call was for the crematorium, where I took Pallina in the afternoon.

They prepared my beloved Pallina for the cremation, I and my wife had the time to say good-bye to her, then she was put in that oven and, for a split second, it seemed to me that Pallina looked at me and raised her paw to say "See you!"

An hour later we were back home with a little urn. The house was so silent, cold, quiet. It was all unreal.
Ironically, again, Pallina left this world on the day of the first anniversary of her radio-iodine treatment, that was on August 8, 2017.

My life has no meaning anymore now. The last piece of my heart has gone into that oven, with her, and I have no reason to live for, I feel that all that happens around me doesn't bother me at all.
I'm switching between a few days, or just a single day, of relatively happy mood, and long terms of sadness and depression.

I have updated my signature. It took a lot of strength and courage to do it.
And now, every time I see my signature and read the last name in it, I still can't believe what happened, it's like a stab every time.

Pallina, I loved you, even if you thought I didn't. I loved you very much, and I will love you forever. I will miss you and your love bites, and the way you didn't want to curl next to me at night. I will miss everything of you.
Forgive me for not being able to understand your needs, for not being able to give you a longer life. Forgive me for failing you. Forgive me for letting you alone on the last moment!

I will be with you and Lola one day, and I will never leave you both again.
RIP my beloved White Furball.

Last edited:

Specialcrayon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heart aches for you, as I know exactly how you felt. Rest assured knowing that you did everything you could have possibly done for that sweet girl. She knew you loved her. Perhaps she chose to leave this world without you there because she knew how distraught you would be seeing her leave. She had a long and wonderful life with someone who loved her very much, whom she loved very much.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Antonio, you have MUCH to live for, your life has MUCH meaning, you have gone above and beyond 6,000 times what most people would do and there are millions of cats in this world who wish that they could have you as an owner, you are such a wonderful soul and pour all your love into them that of course when they pass it feels like you are empty inside, but it is the grief that has a stranglehold on you right now and will play mind games and physical games, the only thing that helps is time and maybe try Holy Basil, it helped me when I was so distraught over Sebastian dying in my arms 3 years ago. But you did a WONDERFUL thing for them both, and I have a feeling that maybe on the other side at the Rainbow Bridge they DO get along now and are friends, and they both say "what a WONDERFUL daddy and life we had on Earth", and they thank you for all that you did and when you see them again it will be a joyous reunion.

Stay strong friend, cry and let it all out, and little by little you will feel better and life will return to your heart again.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals more each day my friend, we are here to help you, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Antonio, I can feel your anguish. At times like these mere words are never enough. I wish I could take all this pain away, I wish all of our little ones could live forever and die of old age, in bed, at home with good health to the end. But it rarely happens that way and we are left behind to suffer. The grief you are going through is equal to your love, so no greater grief has come to your life. I think after trying so hard, after depleting your savings and trying every treatment you can come up with, your energy, your very soul, is at the lowest it can be. I know one thing for certain though, you failed at nothing.....you did so much more than most, you truly tried, everything you did, you did out of love. There will ALWAYS be things we perceive as mistakes, we see as failures. because none of us are perfect, we are all human. doctors make mistakes, so do vets. And once the end has come, when our brains are able to function again, when we go over and over every step, every move, of course there will be things we wish we could have done different....there always will be. Please try to remember that when our time has come, whether human or cat, heroic, expensive treatments can be tried, and once in a while they work. But the majority only buy time, in most cases they cannot stop the inevitable. Death comes for us all. Not one person here could ever say you didn't try, you came to a place there was nothing more to do....
The roller coaster of emotions you experienced, you are still having, are taking a toll on your body and your spirit. Do not try to sort your mind out right now, don't try to analyze every step you took, it changes nothing and only brings heartache. Just grieve, let it be purged out of your body with your tears. You need to grieve because you have suffered a loss, and that is impossible to accept right now. You are empty. But I know one thing for sure, your precious Pallina would never want to be the cause for all your pain, she loves you as much as you loved her, and I know for certain you would never want to cause her so much pain if you were the first to go. Because that is what love is, and she wants no less. For her, the pain, the endless tests are over, she is in a place where nothing can hurt her now. She is safe, she is at peace because she was so loved, so precious in your life, and she will carry that for eternity. she was in your life for a while, she brought you so much joy and happiness. Let THAT be your memories, they are so much more important, so much more precious than the horrible memories of her end which are ruling your life right now. Death will suck the joy from life, it wants ALL life, not just the one it took away. Don't let it win. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love will be with you forever, her love will be with you always.
You are such a loving person, a giver, with a heart that opens time and time again. Try to focus on sending her loving thoughts, thoughts of the thankfulness you have for having her in your life, for having the opportunity to love her and have her love you back. She needs to know you are alright, that you have accepted her legacy and will nurture it, pass it on and allow it to spread and grow. Not keep it hidden under the blackness of grief. You have been blessed.
My heart goes out to you, you know I'll pray for you to find peace, for God to watch over you all and to help you get through this. Never over it, I know that never happens, but to learn a new life order, to learn to live again and find joy in life because life is so precious. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, so right now, take one day at a time, and let time help to heal that broken heart. We are here for you, please come and talk to us, let us be there and help you because we understand the pain of loss. Let us share that pain and make it easier to bear.....Take care my friend.....Beautiful, precious, Pallina. What a warrior, what a fighter to the end! Your poor little body gave up the fight, but your love will carry on for eternity, your spirit will live on in loving hearts forevermore. May our loving Father accept you into his arms, may you be watched over and kept safe until taht glorious day when you once again meet those you love so much. Goodnight, sleep tight, precious little girl!

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a touchingly heartfelt and very moving story about Pallina who we have come to know and love through your eyes Antonio. This undoubtedly took much strength to write on this very unwelcome "anniversary month".

I echo the words of all here who offer their personal experiences, comforting thoughts, sympathy and deep understanding of the trauma of losing a beloved cat.

Those of us who have loved, and been loved by a very special cat have been blessed with the greatest gift on this earth. May this love, this strong bond which can never be broken or taken away, comfort and sustain until the day we are once again reunited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dear friends, I wish to thank you for the wonderful and warm replies and comments to my post.
Tears are running now.

Though I'm trying hard, I just can't get rid of the pain of the last weeks, the pain I felt while I couldn't help my soft White Furball.
This is the other name Pallina had, "Palla di pelo bianco", White Furball, a name that was more apt when her weight was, well, her weight. She had always been around 5.5 kg (about 12 lbs), and being her so small sized, she looked like a ball. Her name was fitting her body shape.
But when she got sick, her weight dropped down to 3 kg (6.6 lbs), and in her last days my beloved Furball was just 2.7 kg (about 6 lbs).

Yes, probably I did the most I could do for her, but how can I prove it?

Her things are still where she left them, I didn't move a thing, like I was waiting for her return.
She would wait for me in the window, she would stay in the window all day. She was so fond of that window that one day, in February or March 2011, she was caught by the Goggle Street View car :)

Pallina Google Street View.jpg

My beloved White Furball could be seen by the whole world :)

When I would go back home, I used to look at the window to see if she was there. Usually she was there, then she would jump down and wait for me at the door. A couple of days ago I was approaching home, and turned my head to the window, and for a moment I asked myself why she wasn't on the window sill... Then the rational part of me told me that she couldn't wait for me anymore.

I hope that the Rainbow Bridge has a nice window, so that she can look outside, as she liked to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is enjoying her windowsill still, watching the entire world now too, as the heavens rejoice at having one such as her in their presence!
The pure light that is her (white of course),will find and comfort you Antonio. Let that light brighten your life, as she thanks and blesses you for such a wonderful life. All she ever needed was your love and she felt that every minute of her life..... as you were blessed to have known her and receive her love in return.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my friend, I truly feel your anguish, heartache. Yes, I know the absence.. the expectations of seeing our little ones, in their favorite spots.. the automatic memories of coming home, to their waiting eyes,... I get it..

I thought about that last night, when I came home... yes, it was dark.. I always had Artie greeting me at the door, worried about me being out at night.. in the dark... but last night-- no one was there, waiting for me... or yelling at me....

Yes, it is horrible...

But, again, please do not feel you are alone in this. You are not. We are all here for you..

The love you have for Pallina and Lola, is undeniable.. and beyond any human expectations. You went all over the world, trying to help them..

They are part of your soul, and will always be part of you..

I know, Pallina and Lola are not happy seeing you so sad, feeling so alone.. they are with you.. they are. While not the same as being in the physical world, their spirits, their love, their presence will always be with you.. they are a part of you..

You gave them love.. in return, they gave you unconditional love.. true love..this is so rare..
Please know you have been blessed with experiencing it not once, but twice in your life.. this is so rare.. Try to concentrate on this... You were blessed, with a rare gift.. remember that..

In return for this gift, you did all you could do; physically, financially, emotionally, to ensure that both Pallina and Lola had the best veterinary care around. Yes, You did.. You even challenged Vets... not an easy feat to do..

You made Pallina famous--The Cat Who traveled Europe... no one will forget her.. or you...

Please do not beat yourself up~~~ so easy to do.. but not helping you heal.. yes, you must heal..

You do not know what the future has in store for you.. You are an exceptionally, kind, caring person.. You have so much love to give.. you just need an outlet for that.. and you need to get that love returned..

Only by allowing yourself to let out your love, all of your emotions; will you be able to heal..

Healing is not forgetting Lola Or Pallina.. it is a sort of "Honoring" their memory. Their memory of love.. It is not forgetting them.. it is remembering them during the best times of the day.. yes, tears will come.. feelings of loss, the huge hurt of absence... but that is the result of giving ourselves to someone with all our heart. We allow them to dig a hole in our hearts, fill it up with their essence. When they are gone from this world, we have to dig deep into that heart-hole, to find their essence.It may be buried for a while, but it is always there with us.

It hurts, it hurts like heck.. but it is the result of being a loving human being.

My friend, we are all here for you....

love,
me...and my Angel Artie....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friends, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

My Dear Friend, you have seen me say this so many times before, but this is the deepest Truth I know, so I will say it again, and again, and again. Love does not die. Not ever. It changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and neither Lola nor Pallina have truly left you. They are right there with you, although it is only human to miss those sweet physical forms so badly! Pallina does NOT feel you failed her! I can promise you this. You were with her, loving her on her terms, all the days of her life. And now she, like Lola, has put off that heavy coat of flesh and fur, and dances free on moonlight. In a place that abounds with love, and where time has no meaning, she waits for you to put off your own coat of flesh in the fullness of time and join her in that Dance. Do not be surprised if one fine day, Pallinas and Lola guide some sweet lost soul to your door, knowing your heart's huge capacity for Love.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio,
Your account was riveting to read; I have never heard of a cat parent going to such extremes to look after their cats, you truly moved a mountain for them and Pallina and Lola lived to a ripe old age. To hear that you failed her is so unfair to yourself! I hope that this feeling and your anguish can pass soon, you don't deserve to punish yourself so. Of course it's normal to be drained after giving so much for so long. I hope that you're able to have a break for yourself to restore your energy, and that the good days will soon outnumber the bad.

Sometimes it takes time for those other things to become apparent, but you have much else to live for.

Thinking of you in Canada

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After being so involved with the care of those we love, the worry, the constant emotional involvement, the vet visits, the treatments, the horrific costs, and then the pain of losing them anyway, no wonder it is just too much for ANYONE to handle. You invested your all, and all was still not enough.......
Do not ever feel you failed, horrible things happen to good people, there is never a explanation, a reason, it just happens. You did nothing wrong, and everything you did you did out of love. You have too big a heart to go through life without love in it, and that love is equal to the pain when they leave us, so very soul crushing indeed.
Pallina is starting a new journey, but she will always carry you in her heart, she will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. All she asks is to be remembered for the love she brought into your life, for the happiness she brought you. Not the sad end, not the heartache, just like you she would never want remembering her to bring you pain. She lives on through you now, make it full of joy for knowing her, full of thankfulness.
I know it does not seem like it now, but one day you will begin to heal. With the help of friends and the grace of God, you WILL get through this. One day at a time.......
PS I think of you often, I pray for you every day. May God grant you peace, may He soothe your aching heart and bless you for hurting so bad from loving so much.....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS I think of you often, I pray for you every day. May God grant you peace, may He soothe your aching heart and bless you for hurting so bad from loving so much.....
Thanks di and bob di and bob , I burst in tears when I read these words :bawling:
You're a wonderful person, may God keep and protect you in His hands!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pallina, two months ago I woke up in the middle of the night and you were gone.
You left me while I was selfishly sleeping in my bed, I wasn't there when you needed me the most.
I hope you will forgive me for this one day, because I still can't forgive myself.

I love you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pallina_400_text.jpg

Happy Birthday my beloved Pallina!
Know that you're always in my heart, in my thoughts, in my life. You made me happy more than you'll ever imagine, and my life isn't a life anymore without you!
I love you, Pallina, I will always love you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy, happy birthday sweet girl! Though your time in eternity is going by so fast, it is not the same here for the one who misses you so very much. You will never be forgotten, such an honor for the legacy of love you left behind. Please send what comfort you can, and let him know he will never be alone......

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All here will be celebrating this sweet girl's life and the joy she brought to all who knew her...especially you Antonio.