Palatable alternative to egg yolk

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the nutritional alternative to egg yolk? Choline, lecithin, and what else? Probably other B-vitamins.

It also has to be palatable. B-vitamin supplement smells like feet probably because it comes from brewer's yeast. Can I source it from nutritional yeast instead? Although she does like s. boulardii which has more of a bready smell than a feet or cheese smell. Maybe it wasn't the B-vitamins that turned her off the first and only time I included them in the recipe.

What is the dose (of B-vitamins or yeast) for 1 lbs of meat? I'm not yet ready to make full batches until Krista is good with the recipe.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s mainly the B vitamins you’d need to replace. There are other nutrients in it too but I can’t think of anything that is substantial enough that your kitty would miss out on. Possibly choline levels would be too low?

Unfortunatley B-50 complex smells very awful. I think for 1 pound of meat you could be fine with one or even half of one B-50 complex. Maybe try half and see if she notices the smell. I’m not sure about using yeast...

I use B-50 in addition to egg yolk anyway because egg yolk doesn’t have nutrients like thiamin and biotin.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s mainly the B vitamins you’d need to replace. There are other nutrients in it too but I can’t think of anything that is substantial enough that your kitty would miss out on. Possibly choline levels would be too low?

Unfortunatley B-50 complex smells very awful. I think for 1 pound of meat you could be fine with one or even half of one B-50 complex. Maybe try half and see if she notices the smell. I’m not sure about using yeast...

I use B-50 in addition to egg yolk anyway because egg yolk doesn’t have nutrients like thiamin and biotin.
Egg yolks definitely have biotin. I can feel the difference in Krista's coat. It does appear to be a good source of thiamine too.

I'll try half a B-complex.

At this point, I can't tell if the food coma after eating is how much her teeth hurts or how much her gut might be hurting. Maybe taking the egg out will get us over the half ounce portion hump she's stuck on right now.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I was going by a nutrient analysis of my recipe that mschauer mschauer did for me. It states that the percentage of biotin and thiamin in my recipe contributed from the egg yolk is nill. Maybe it’s just a very small amount that it doesn’t show up on my analysis? Not sure.

Maybe what I should say is that egg yolk alone doesn’t have *enough* of all nutrients to meet AAFCO minimums?

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I was going by a nutrient analysis of my recipe that mschauer mschauer did for me. It states that the percentage of biotin and thiamin in my recipe contributed from the egg yolk is nill.
Two things:
- Sufficient biotin for cats is produced by bacteria in the intestinal tract. As per AAFCO recommendations: "Biotin does not need to be added unless diet contains antimicrobial or antivitamin compounds."
- The USDA database (which is what I use in my analyses) does not include data for biotin so the actual amount may be higher than what the analysis shows.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Two things:
- Sufficient biotin for cats is produced by bacteria in the intestinal tract. As per AAFCO recommendations: "Biotin does not need to be added unless diet contains antimicrobial or antivitamin compounds."
- The USDA database (which is what I use in my analyses) does not include data for biotin so the actual amount may be higher than what the analysis shows.
Thanks for the clarification. What about thiamin?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The USDA database does include data for thiamin and it does need to be supplemented if not present in at least the minimum recommended quantity assuming the AAFCO recommendations are being utilized.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been making raw but thinking about making cooked food due to "seasonal raw eater" syndrome (?? one of my cat start vomiting raw few weeks ago, that happened last winter and ended in spring). I tried cooked recipe in the past, but my cats seems to have issue with egg. If I omit egg from recipe - should I add or double B vitamin?

I also made cooked with Alnutrin, but since I already have all the vitamins I'd rather go with dyi route.

Thanks!

dhruska211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is there an alternative to bone? I can't find on here nor the cat food raw recipe but I have a hard copy. I wanted to make beef raw cat food but need the correct ratio and an alternative for the calcium

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
is there an alternative to bone? I can't find on here nor the cat food raw recipe but I have a hard copy. I wanted to make beef raw cat food but need the correct ratio and an alternative for the calcium
Yes, you can use eggshell powder. I would recommend reading this page - they explain how to replace bone with eggshell: StackPath

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I missed this thread.
What about brewer's yeast as egg yolk replacement?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turns out it wasn't the B-vitamins but the meat that I was using that was causing Krista to turn up her nose. Krista doesn't like the grinds from Hare Today. When I started buying fresh or frozen legs (turkey or rabbit) and grinding them myself, I can add a half B-50 to a 1 lbs batch and still please my tough customer.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TBH I have tasted a B-50 cap diluted into water and besides some mild chemical odor it is mostly bitter, which does not usually bother cats. Sticking to b-complex for supplementation.

dhruska211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you can use eggshell powder. I would recommend reading this page - they explain how to replace bone with eggshell: StackPath
Thank you - I bought the egg shell replacement. I made the raw food but for some reason mine is sticky? not like the raw I purchased at the pet store. I have 5 cats and now 4 out of the five want the raw......

So now my question is does anyone else have the stickiness problem?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I bought the egg shell replacement. I made the raw food but for some reason mine is sticky? not like the raw I purchased at the pet store. I have 5 cats and now 4 out of the five want the raw......

What do you mean by sticky? If you grind raw meat and then mix it together it will become denser and “stickier” as you mix. The smaller you grind it the more dense and “sticky” it might become. Chicken might especially give that “sticky” feeling when it’s ground. Homemade raw food is usually not the same quality as store bought since it doesn’t go through as much processing (it’s usually better quality).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Of course it's sticky. It's a meat sludge lol. I like my meat to be sticky so I can add some warm water during serving.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are people talking about increasing vitamin B to replace egg yolk? It provides a significant amount of vitamin D and choline but a trace amount of everything else. Vitamin B complex supplement has way more than your cat needs actually.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to replace it with brewer's yeast but I decided against.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are people talking about increasing vitamin B to replace egg yolk? It provides a significant amount of vitamin D and choline but a trace amount of everything else. Vitamin B complex supplement has way more than your cat needs actually.
What do you suggest in place of egg yolk?