Paint tinting?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a lot of stuff from local online auction sites and there have been several auction lots for gallons of paint. I'd like to buy these but I don't know if I'd be able to get it tinted anywhere. Does anyone know if that is something I can do? Like, can I bring a gallon of paint to a Home Depot and say, I want this color? Do I actually have to buy the paint from that store? Paint is just so expensive, but I'd also really like to redecorate my house in the colors I want.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably charge. Why don't you call the store ask if they do it? If the paint not a base color and is already tinted, I don't think they would be able to do it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the store manager's policy. Some will do it because they hope that you will buy other things that you need. Is it a Home Depot brand? If you have a small, local hardware shop sells paint, you can ask them as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that some stores will re-tint paint you already own, presumably without proof of purchase (because not many people keep that) so I'm sure you can find one somewhere. All you can do is ask.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You have no idea how old that paint is, it could be thick and gloppy, or what would happen to the color when additional tint is added. It just seems like too big of a risk. Much better to save it need be and paint a room at a time with nice fresh paint of the exact color you choose.