Painkillers after dental

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So Sparkle had a dental with a couple extractions today, and the vet's office gave me 6 to 8 syringes of painkillers that I'm supposed to give her twice a day starting tonight (squeezing it into her cheek pouch). She's honestly seemed fine since coming home and eating, but I attempted to give her one tonight anyway. She was very squirmy and fought it and I'm honestly not sure how much medicine she got, though I'm pretty sure she got at least a little based on how she was moving her mouth.

With painkillers, are you supposed to give the whole set no matter what, or can you watch and base it on how the cat is acting (though I know cats are very good at masking pain)? If I need to, I certainly will attempt this medicine giving twice a day, but if it's not exactly necessary, I'm not sure about continuing to put her through it. Thoughts?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she seems ok, and is eating fine I see no reason to administer pain killers. The vet probably gave them to you "just in case". Our vet administers a long acting pain killer after dentals so we don't have to deal with dosing them. All the cats I've had that needed dentals did fine afterwards, certainly by the next day were much improved.

Of course, I'd call the vet to doublecheck on the instructions but I bet they will also say if the cat seems ok, no need.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I received painkillers too after my Casper had a broken tooth extracted, but he started eating the minute we got home and went to sleep, never did show any signs of pain. Cats can endure a lot of pain, better then we can, but shouldn't have to. Watch carefully for hiding, pawing at the mouth and drooling, all signs of possible pain. Offer water several times a day to get them to rinse. As long as the cat is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox everything should be OK.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got three days of pain killers after a canine tooth extraction for our boy. I think the broken tooth bothered him more than the pain after surgery and so he was actually more playful and ate better from the second we got home, but less pain than before doesn't mean no pain...so he got them...just on case. He's such a good cat that I'm noticing we have to be really eagle eyed to notice changes in him. He's definitely the cat that will hide any ailment until it's too late.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet tech called this morning to check on her and said definitely give her all of them since she had such a big tooth removed. I'm not really good at scruffing and not sure it's getting in the cheek pouch instead of elsewhere in her mouth because she shakes her head so much.

She is currently rolling all over the floor. Two down, five to go.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet always sent me home with a few of those syringes and I used them. Do the best you can with administering them. I found just giving a little at a time helped. My vet would give them a shot of the same painkiller before waking him up so it takes a while for that to wear off. It's hard to tell about pain level until that shot wears off.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets don't send pain killers home because cats usually do so well after extractions. I have had three teeth removed myself before implants and only used a little Tylonal a few times. One tooth I only used it once. Its a pain that is noticed but bearable.
PS for liquid pain meds get some treats called Hartz Delectable Lickables in stew. Cats absolutely love them and don't even notice the meds in them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the vet's office gave me 6 to 8 syringes of painkillers that I'm supposed to give her twice a day starting tonight (squeezing it into her cheek pouch).

Buprenex, right? Vets almost always send pre-filled syringes of that home after dental procedure that involves teeth extraction. Buprenex is an opioid so there's a high potential of a pet owner abusing it for themselves. That's why vets give pre-filled syringes with just enough medicine to have an effect on a pet. Just slip the tip of a syringe just past the lips and aim towards the gum line. Maybe one of the kids or DH can hold the cat or distract while you quickly squirt the medicine in. Try smearing the tip of the syringe with something yummy: tuna juice, canned food gravy, etc .

Cats are very good at hiding pain so even if a cat "seems" fine after tooth extractions, there may still be pain.

for liquid pain meds get some treats called Hartz Delectable Lickables in stew. Cats absolutely love them and don't even notice the meds in them.
That won't work with buprenex as it's not meant to be ingested. Buprenex works best if absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth. It has little to no effect on pain if ingested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buprenex, right? Vets almost always send pre-filled syringes of that home after dental procedure that involves teeth extraction. Buprenex is an opioid so there's a high potential of a pet owner abusing it for themselves. That's why vets give pre-filled syringes with just enough medicine to have an effect on a pet. Just slip the tip of a syringe just past the lips and aim towards the gum line. Maybe one of the kids or DH can hold the cat or distract while you quickly squirt the medicine in. Try smearing the tip of the syringe with something yummy: tuna juice, canned food gravy, etc .

Cats are very good at hiding pain so even if a cat "seems" fine after tooth extractions, there may still be pain.

That won't work with buprenex as it's not meant to be ingested. Buprenex works best if absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth. It has little to no effect on pain if ingested.
Ooh, I might try putting something on the tip of the syringe.

It might work with the galbetrin(?) they want me to give her before a follow up to check her mouth. They said I could mix that one in with food.