Pain + Urinating everywhere + Bloody Urine + Vets don't know what's going on

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat - Bikini, 10yrs old - has been having bladder issues for a couple of years now, ever since our first cat Oscar died. I noticed she would literally pee everywhere, including in her litter box. She also has these pains she gets when she’s having a bad pee kind of a day. On some days, its so painful that she won't let any of us touch her, and she'll be going pee every 5 minutes. I've taken her to the vet a couple of times now about this issue but honestly... I dont think anyone knows what's going on anymore. originally we suspected a urinary tract infection. made sense because of the pain and constantly peeing. She got some antibiotics and also a pain killer to help calm her down. Everything was great for those 2 weeks she was on it and she even stopped peeing on the floors/corners/beds. After she finished it, the whole thing came back a week later. I took her back but they couldn't figure it out. they just told me maybe she needs a new litter box, or some special food. we did all of that. I even put out multiple boxes around the house, tried different types of litter, gave her the special food, etc. the only way I can keep her peeing in a literal box is if I literally have one in every since room and corner in my house and that’s just not normal. she's always been trained to pee in a litter box and we never had this issue until Oscar died. I also noticed, in some of her pee spots, there'd be some blood stains in it.

I really need a solution on what I can do now. Every time I've gone to the clinic I never get an answer, and ive even tried a couple different ones. Theres no point for me to keep bringing her to these clinics, paying over $150 each time just to be told she’s fine or maybe I should get her another litter box. I just want the pain to stop. She's getting old and she's already got enough stress from our newest kitten which we got last summer.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find D-Mannose and Cornsilk work well for my cat who has stress related UTI. Could it be the stress of losing Oscar that started this issue. Has your vet done a scan of her bladder, it is worth having it done and maybe an analysis of her urine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like it could be a form of cystitis, which is thought to be brought on mostly by stress. With cystitis, there is usually inflammation that can cause blood in the urine and painful urination. And, it can also lead to UTIs, but not necessarily always. What tests have these clinics ran so far?

You need to find a new vet that will pay better attention to what is going on. Friends/family/neighbors/co-workers who could give you recommendations for a trustworthy vet?

As mentioned above, an ultrasound of her bladder should pick up on inflammation which can be treated with anti-inflammatories. If there have been any other tests run by these clinics, you can get copies for free from them and share with a new vet to help reduce redundant costs.

Take a look at these articles to see if that might help you any in understanding this condition.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find D-Mannose and Cornsilk work well for my cat who has stress related UTI. Could it be the stress of losing Oscar that started this issue. Has your vet done a scan of her bladder, it is worth having it done and maybe an analysis of her urine.
Bikini has already had a bladder scan and a urine analysis done, as well as some blood work done. The only time we found something was the first time and that was the UTI. Other than that nothing else was really found. I'll take a look into the D-Mannose and Cornsilk and see how she reacts to it. I do feel like losing Oscar definitely triggered this problem, but it's also been 5+ years since we lost him. I was hoping with a new kitten around she'd have a friend again, but they're still not on the best terms, but their friendship has gotten a lot better now than how it was the first couple of months when he was first introduced.

I'm also not too sure what triggers the UTI/pain anymore. It can randomly happen at any time during the day and it will last for hours - a week. im considering getting pretty litter for the fact that I can see the pH balance of her urine in the crystals. im not too sure yet on it tho... its a subscription plan and it does cost a lot more than other brands..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like it could be a form of cystitis, which is thought to be brought on mostly by stress. With cystitis, there is usually inflammation that can cause blood in the urine and painful urination. And, it can also lead to UTIs, but not necessarily always. What tests have these clinics ran so far?

You need to find a new vet that will pay better attention to what is going on. Friends/family/neighbors/co-workers who could give you recommendations for a trustworthy vet?

As mentioned above, an ultrasound of her bladder would most certainly pick up on inflammation which can be treated with anti-inflammatories. If there have been any other tests run by these clinics, you can get copies for free from them and share with a new vet to help reduce redundant costs.

Take a look at these articles to see if that might help you any in understanding this condition.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)
Thank you!! At one point she had a very good vet who actually started this entire research into what it could be but she switched clinics and the clinic never gave me any information on what clinic she may have switched to. I'll be scouting for her new clinic this week. From what the vet told me, I know they ran a urine analysis, bloodwork, and bladder scan. they considered an x-ray but said it could kind of be pointless and costly so we decided not to.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might be able to locate the previous vet through the state licensing board. Most clinics don't want you to follow your old vet. I did one time, but it was because the vet called me and asked me to.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is she currently being fed and how many times a day? Is she overweight?