Pain management - post surgery

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My cat had surgery yesterday and I was sent home with Onsior. I was told I could crush it and add to her food but now i found out online that I shouldnt do that. So I am feeling confused. I thought this medicine was for pain control but I read online that its not. Should I go back to my vet for pain medication? She seems okay today and is eating and using her box normally.

She had a tooth extraction and a small mass removed from her neck. I am scared of her being in pain. They mentioned they could give me some liquid that could cause sedation, should i go back for that?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Onsior is an NSAID that is used frequently for post operative pain. For a lot of vets, it is the first line pain management med. Did your cat receive an injection of any kind for pain while at the vet's? There are other pain relievers including all the opioids, along with meds like gabapentin and buprenorphine. This last med could be the one that they have offered in liquid form which is highly sedative. We can't tell you specifically what we think that your cat should be given, but you are well within your rights to call the vet and voice your concerns. Your cat had a major procedure yesterday, and you paid for the procedure which entitles you to follow up conversations, at the least.

It is good news that behavior and eating is normal and that might be why the vet started with an NSAID before going to more potent pain killers.

Elanco does say that the tablets should not be crushed or split as this affects absorption, so ask your vet about that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you called your vet yet? They would be best to advise. I know that sounds like a simple answer but honestly the right first move. There are off label ways to use various meds, I would think they would know best.

Most likely though, by today she's a lot better especially is eating and behaving normally.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi terestrife terestrife

On Thursday, before the surgery, you said "She'll be getting an antibiotic shot to protect against infection..." [here]

IF she were given "an antibiotic shot", that might have been a drug called "Convenia".

If she received Convenia, she should definitely NOT get Onsior. The two should not be given together.

You said you were offered a pain med that could cause sedation......that sounds like an opioid, which would not conflict with Convenia.

Best advice: find out whether/not she had Convenia.....and, meantime, hold off using the Onsior.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask for buprenex. Better for pain short term and easier to give. Onsior is an NSAID. One of the ones approved for cats. It still has the risks Metacam does. I think the buprenex is better and safer in my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Onsior is an NSAID that is used frequently for post operative pain. For a lot of vets, it is the first line pain management med. Did your cat receive an injection of any kind for pain while at the vet's? There are other pain relievers including all the opioids, along with meds like gabapentin and buprenorphine. This last med could be the one that they have offered in liquid form which is highly sedative. We can't tell you specifically what we think that your cat should be given, but you are well within your rights to call the vet and voice your concerns. Your cat had a major procedure yesterday, and you paid for the procedure which entitles you to follow up conversations, at the least.

It is good news that behavior and eating is normal and that might be why the vet started with an NSAID before going to more potent pain killers.

Elanco does say that the tablets should not be crushed or split as this affects absorption, so ask your vet about that.
I gave her the onsior yesterday. She doesnt seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. She is eating and playing normally.

Have you called your vet yet? They would be best to advise. I know that sounds like a simple answer but honestly the right first move. There are off label ways to use various meds, I would think they would know best.

Most likely though, by today she's a lot better especially is eating and behaving normally.
i did call yesterday, they said to give her the onsior and that if shes acting normally she wont need the stronger pain medication. Shes been doing well. Eating and playing normally. I gave her the onsior yesterday by sneaking it into some tuna. Shes missing most of her teeth so she just licked it up. LOL

Hi terestrife terestrife

On Thursday, before the surgery, you said "She'll be getting an antibiotic shot to protect against infection..." [here]

IF she were given "an antibiotic shot", that might have been a drug called "Convenia".

If she received Convenia, she should definitely NOT get Onsior. The two should not be given together.

You said you were offered a pain med that could cause sedation......that sounds like an opioid, which would not conflict with Convenia.

Best advice: find out whether/not she had Convenia.....and, meantime, hold off using the Onsior.
I apologize for not clarifying myself, been stressed since I got home from the vet. My vet had told me we would give her an antibiotic to be on the safe side and I even reminded the surgical tech that checked me in. I asked the surgical tech when i picked her up to verify if they gave her antibiotics and she said the vet felt it wasnt necessary based on what he saw when she was in surgery. But that we can start her on the antibiotics based on how she is healing. when I picked her up I only got to speak to the vet for a moment so I couldnt get into all the questions i had. I am going to see him tomorrow, he wants to be the one to change her bandages so I am taking her in. I prefer to do it this way so he can visually see how the wound is healing and I can ask any questions that i need to.

I did end up giving her the onsior yesterday and will give it today. I will let the vet know shes taking it, should he decide to give her antibiotics.

thank you for the detailed response and I apologize for not clarifying myself.

Ask for buprenex. Better for pain short term and easier to give. Onsior is an NSAID. One of the ones approved for cats. It still has the risks Metacam does. I think the buprenex is better and safer in my experience.
I wouldnt have had time, I managed to speak to someone before they closed at 1:00 pm. So i gave her the onsior yesterday. Shes doing really great so far.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the clarification, and (sort of) sorry for forcing the issue, especially while knowing that you've been super-stressed over all this. Yet, it's best to be 'straight up' about this stuff rather than dodging it, turning away and just hoping that all will turn out well. I'm glad she appears happy and seems to be returning to her usual self!

I'm relieved that she didn't get the antibiotic 'shot' in any case. Your Vet's displayed some uncommon wisdom there by not 'automatically' throwing in a perhaps unnecessary antibiotic {with its own unique risks] and instead taking measures to keep the wound sterile until it can be reexamined tomorrow. A 'quality Vet' for sure!

Keep on keeping us in the loop! (and, of course, pictures will never be rejected!:lol:)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the clarification, and (sort of) sorry for forcing the issue, especially while knowing that you've been super-stressed over all this. Yet, it's best to be 'straight up' about this stuff rather than dodging it, turning away and just hoping that all will turn out well. I'm glad she appears happy and seems to be returning to her usual self!

I'm relieved that she didn't get the antibiotic 'shot' in any case. Your Vet's displayed some uncommon wisdom there by not 'automatically' throwing in a perhaps unnecessary antibiotic {with its own unique risks] and instead taking measures to keep the wound sterile until it can be reexamined tomorrow. A 'quality Vet' for sure!

Keep on keeping us in the loop! (and, of course, pictures will never be rejected!:lol:)
I prefer when people are up front, I want to be able to know what might happen and be more informed in situations like this. So I appreciated your post. Doctors arent perfect and things can slip their minds, so I like to be informed whenever possible.

The reason I really wanted an antibiotic shot is that she has really low white blood cells, I am just worried she won't have enough strength to fight off an infection/ heal properly. We don't really know why she has low WBC my vet says he has seen it before that animals are perfectly healthy, but for some reason have that one thing wrong in their blood test. But I did appreciate that he wanted to handle dealing with the bandage himself. I would have felt awful if I did something wrong when checking the wound.

VideoCapture_20221218-111311.jpg VideoCapture_20221218-111357.jpg

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Elsa might be in a bit of pain tonight. She was shaking her head and scratching at the bandage earlier.

I looked closely and I think I can see her stitches at the edge which is making me panicky. I cant tell if she dug at them. She keeps moving around as i try to record her and I dont want to hurt her. I ended up putting a sock to layer up the back of the bandage to keep it down. She wouldnt wear the cone i got so i trimmed it in half to see if she'll keep it on and keep her away from the stitches.

I cant wait for this to be over. I am tearing up thinking of her hurting herself or being in pain. I really feel like a crappy pet mom today.

VideoCapture_20221218-210719.jpg VideoCapture_20221218-205837.jpg VideoCapture_20221218-205852.jpg

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello,

My cat had surgery yesterday and I was sent home with Onsior. I was told I could crush it and add to her food but now i found out online that I shouldnt do that. So I am feeling confused. I thought this medicine was for pain control but I read online that its not. Should I go back to my vet for pain medication? She seems okay today and is eating and using her box normally.

She had a tooth extraction and a small mass removed from her neck. I am scared of her being in pain. They mentioned they could give me some liquid that could cause sedation, should i go back for that?
I did crush my cat's onsior as it was the only way I would get it in to him. It was also after a tooth extraction at age 14.

They give onsior because it is strong..they don't want swelling to pull any stitches and cause lack of eating or anything. It's important for her to rest and to eat to heal quickly and not get an infection in her mouth.

Keep in mind that those who don't get side effects from a medication aren't likely to be out there posting about it. They may not even remember the name. It's usually those with problems that post, which does skew our view of these things.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ant swelling to pull any stitches and cause lack of eating or anything. It's important for her to rest and to eat to heal quickly and not get an infection in her mouth.

Keep in mind that those who don't get side ef
I do understand that. That is why I try to weigh things in my mind with the info from my vet and some common sense. Ive had surgery before and needed pain meds. Most of them had risks of side effects. Even simple pain meds that we take can have serious side effects. But I cant let my cat feel pain just because of that.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do understand that. That is why I try to weigh things in my mind with the info from my vet and some common sense. Ive had surgery before and needed pain meds. Most of them had risks of side effects. Even simple pain meds that we take can have serious side effects. But I cant let my cat feel pain just because of that.
You're doing your best! You just want what's best for her. We all understand that. Sorry I didn't see the second page before I responded.

I did confirm with my wife that we did give our other cat crushed onsior with no issues too.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing your best! You just want what's best for her. We all understand that. Sorry I didn't see the second page before I responded.

I did confirm with my wife that we did give our other cat crushed onsior with no issues too.
Thankfully (not that its a good thing lol) but my cat doesnt have teeth so she just licked up the pill LOL. Gave her the last dose yesterday. I am hoping she wont have any more pain issues.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, she needs pain meds. Glad you could get them into her.
The vetwrap on her bandage has done what vet wrap does and rolled up or under on itself. Make sure you can get a finger under it. It doesn't look like it is to tight from the picture. Those are the sutures exposed. Make sure the e-collar isn't rubbing on it. The sock is a good Idea. You just have to make sure things don't rub or constrict. There is a stockinette that most vets have that is woven and cotton. Much like the top of the sock, but it is wider. I have used it to make cats a kind of 70s style half shirt with little leg holes for the front legs and then the front of the stockinette comes up over the bandage. But if your cat got E-collar paralysis, would probably get stockinette paralysis as well.
Very cute cat!!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Yes, she needs pain meds. Glad you could get them into her.
The vetwrap on her bandage has done what vet wrap does and rolled up or under on itself. Make sure you can get a finger under it. It doesn't look like it is to tight from the picture. Those are the sutures exposed. Make sure the e-collar isn't rubbing on it. The sock is a good Idea. You just have to make sure things don't rub or constrict. There is a stockinette that most vets have that is woven and cotton. Much like the top of the sock, but it is wider. I have used it to make cats a kind of 70s style half shirt with little leg holes for the front legs and then the front of the stockinette comes up over the bandage. But if your cat got E-collar paralysis, would probably get stockinette paralysis as well.
Very cute cat!!
No worries, I have the e-collar below the bandage, well away from the stitches. I could only use a chopped-up e-collar it was the only way to avoid her freezing in place. Her sutures are healing well, we went for a checkup yesterday and the vet is happy with the progress. They bandaged her up again, and I will have to remove the bandages Thursday. I will look into the material you mentioned, thank you! They told me I could just use a sock and the e-collar. I also bought a recovery suit. I will decide Thursday what to do. Sutures will be removed on Dec 29th.

VideoCapture_20221219-092400.jpg VideoCapture_20221218-210719.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is a big incision. Poor kitty. Glad she is doing well. I wouldn't bother with the stockinette like I mentioned. It seems like everything is going well.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a big incision. Poor kitty. Glad she is doing well. I wouldn't bother with the stockinette like I mentioned. It seems like everything is going well.
I know, but it was for the best. He got rid of all the skin with huge pores and bumps. The skin actually looks better now even with the sutures. Thankfully the skin under her neck healed so he didnt have to go all the way around. She had a horrible reaction to a collar.