Pain after subq fluids

Celiabodelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just gave my cat fluids, like I do everyday, and now he’s clearly in a lot pain around the injection site and where the little bulb of fluids is. He’s not panting or throwing up or anything, but he is in visible discomfort and hissed at me when I touched the area. Has anyone ever had this happen? I’ve been giving him fluids for almost a year now and this is a first. Bruising? Maybe some air? Trying to figure out if I should take him to the emergency vet or if it’s ok give it until morning to see how he’s feeling. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Celiabodelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Note that I did call my vet as well!

hopscotch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume you’re not putting the needle in the same place all the time, as that would cause sensitivity. The needle is supposed to go in below the skin but not touch anything else. Maybe it touched the muscle or something and hurt it a bit? That has occasionally happened for me, even when I’ve been very careful. When you do something a large number of times sometimes something weird or different can happen. See if it resolves. Contacting the vet for advice is always a good idea.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C Celiabodelia , what ended up happening? Is he better today? One time I think we accidentally hit a nerve when giving fluids. Sometimes things just don't go quite right :frown: But definitely move the placement of the needle, if you aren't already doing that.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also make sure to draw back on the needle before injecting, there should never be any blood and only a little air if any. If there is blood, retract the needle and try again. And yes, rotate where you inject.