Pad Issues?

Eandring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I am hoping someone has seen this before and can give me some insight.

To start, my cat is declawed... he is a rescue and was declawed prior to coming to me.

My cat's paws seem to have weird spots/growths on them and I am not sure what they are or how they came to be. I had an appointment with my vet a couple of weeks ago because I was afraid the claws were growing back under the pads but he said it wasnt that but didnt give me any clue as to what it could be. Have any of you ever seen this or have any insight? He doesnt like me touching his paws much but he doesnt limp on them, they dont appear to bother him much, and they dont appear inflamed.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eandring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, my cat is 9 years old. Not a kitten as listed above. Sorry for the confusion!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am not sure from the pics, but it almost looks like callouses? Or, is it more like peeling skin? Does your cat go outside?

If not, it could also be from contact with other rough surfaces like high dust producing litters, and sometimes even heavily perfumed litters. Perhaps, you've made a change in litter in the recent past?

Btw, the 'kitten' status you are referring to is YOUR status (as an new member), not your cat's status!! This link will help to explain the varying status' and related posting options.
Promotions and Benefits

Edit: It might of benefit to ask your vet if they should take another look at the paws. Not to alarm you, but I have heard it can also be associated with auto-immune issues. I think they would have to take a skin scraping to test for various conditions.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We know for certain it isn't the claw. When a cat is declawed, they amputate up to the first knuckle. It should really be called deknuckling and not declawing.
It does appear to me to be a sore or callous. Maybe the litter is too rough on her pads. You could try using a soft fluffy kind of litter for a few months and see if it doesn't clear up.
Cats walk on their toes and all the pressure is on the front pads. This is why cats that have been declawed have problems later in life. Especially with litter. I know you didn't declaw her, but since she is, you are going to have to accommodate her with softer areas for her comfort.
The vet had no idea? You may want to try a different vet. Maybe one who specialized in cats.
I sure hope these heal. You're a good person to adopt a cat that may have issues. Good luck in finding the problem.