p.pro plan vs f feast

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
purina pro plan v.s fancy feast is there a diff in ingredients? cuz there is deff a price difference

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I buy both - among other brands - for Feeby, just because she is so picky with her eating. There are just too many different options/offerings with both Purina and Fancy Feast that it is hard to say that one is better than the other in terms of the entire 'brand'. Some of the ones I buy for Feeby are relatively close in terms of ingredients, but I only buy pate because that is all she will eat in terms of texture.

I would suggest you pick one or two of each that you are interested in and look them up on the internet - Chewy, PetSmart, etc. will show you the ingredients on most any of the foods they sell, and you can make a comparison for yourself.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want to compare, there are a couple websites that have unbiased reviews of brands, they don't have all the flavors for every food brand but gives you an idea of each brand.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet prefers ProPlan. Many of the recipes really seem similar to Fancy Feast (especially the medleys). Delilah will occasionally eat ProPlan then goes on hunger strike until I give her Fancy Feast. So I generally stick with Fancy Feast. I wish Fancy Feast had a rabbit variety I could give to my other cat, who is on a rabbit only diet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on the version of each. Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus is the clear winner to me. But the basic line of Fancy Feast is also good and my boys also enjoy it (I mix it). I would stick away from any of their stuff with cheese etc.

I have been feeding a few things with similar ingredients and my vet says that's good as they will be used to different things as there are shortages and such everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on the version of each. Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus is the clear winner to me. But the basic line of Fancy Feast is also good and my boys also enjoy it (I mix it). I would stick away from any of their stuff with cheese etc.

I have been feeding a few things with similar ingredients and my vet says that's good as they will be used to different things as there are shortages and such everywhere.
alldara, thanks , unfortunately the prime plus is for cats 7+ years. fancy feast is ok, but most are high in phosphorus

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
alldara, thanks , unfortunately the prime plus is for cats 7+ years. fancy feast is ok, but most are high in phosphorus
There's nothing in the Prime Plus to make it specifically a senior cat food. It was just tested on older adult cats. You'll find many reviews, including my own where people have very young cats eating it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's nothing in the Prime Plus to make it specifically a senior cat food. It was just tested on older adult cats. You'll find many reviews, including my own where people have very young cats eating it.
ok great, cuz it says right on the can adult+7,, thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These sorts of things, the age in the label, or a food that's for a Maine Coon, are mostly marketing ploys.

If you take the time to look at the ingredients and the nutritional makeup (as much as you can anyway, I don't recall how transparent beyond the carbohydrate levels they've gone yet--hop onto their website), you'll not only see that the ingredients compared to another Purina pro plan food are very similar, plus you may lean about and find a food you'd prefer your cat to eat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina denotes the 7+ version with the wording "Propriety blend also contains improved microflora for a balanced digestive system" - whatever that means.

But here is a comparison of the 7+ version vs. the 'adult' version.
7+: Ocean Whitefish, Liver, Water, Meat By-Products, Salmon, Soybean Oil, Chicory Root, Artificial And Natural Flavors, MINERALS [Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Salt, Guar Gum, Taurine, Fish Oil, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Tricalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Beta-Carotene. C475020.

Adult: Ocean Whitefish, Meat By-Products, Fish, Water, Tuna, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, MINERALS [Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Tricalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Salt, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement]. A470119

You can also compare the 'Guaranteed Analysis' of each as well when, as mentioned above, going onto any of the pet sites that offer these foods. The 7+ is actually lower in protein but higher in fat and calories. It is assumed that combo is better for older cats, whether or not that is true depends on who you talk to and what studies you read. Personally speaking, all in all, not a concerning difference unless for some reason your cat would have an issue with one of the specific 'additional' ingredients that is contained in one and not the other.

I have a cat that is 18+ yo and I feed her all different kinds of food, some label for seniors, others not - I have eaten fed her kitten food too!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a cat that is 18+ yo and I feed her all different kinds of food, some label for seniors, others not - I have eaten fed her kitten food too!
:yeah: Similar to feebysowner, I've fed my elderly boy many types of food including food labeled as kitten food :)

But I'm starting to wonder, are we really getting to the root of your initial question?