Ox stopped eating wet food

oxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Over the course of the past few months, Ox has become increasingly picky about the wet food he eats (burns out on it quickly, then just stops eating it all together). Of late, he barely touches the wet food and has been primarily eating just dry. Grateful he's still eating, but would much rather he eat wet food with dry as an occasional treat

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions on how to reinvigorate his appetite for wet food?

In the past, he was eating:
- My Little Lion Beef Pate (has since been discontinued)
- Rawz Beef and Liver Pate

His dry food is Forza10 Urinary.

We assumed a while back that he had a chicken allergy from simple deduction and a series of terrible ear infections. He did love chicken when we first brought him home -- can't even tempt him with that now. He won't touch it.

He doesn't like tuna or sardines, so the regular route of something stinky to entice doesn't really work, either.

To note: he did recently have an ear infection (unrelated to chicken since he'd been completely off it -- go figure), and the subsequent trips to the vet aggravated his feline herpes from the stress, so he was a tiny bit under the weather.

He's eating and playing normally -- still waking us up at 3:30am onward for food -- just not eating it when we put it down (till we cave and give him dry food).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

There might be something here, also there's a new fancy feast product that's pate with a gravy center you could try. It's called savory centers.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A trick I use is to mix a small amount of dry food into the wet. Mine eats the wet to get at the dry and by the end the bowl is mostly clean.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Ox? Just curious, as Feeby has done something similar in recent months - and, I am thinking it might just be health/age related changes in her due to her age (15+ yo). In addition to trying some dry food mixed with the wet, as suggested by V verna davies , you can also try mixing some baby food meats (in the article from Furballsmom Furballsmom ), or even some beef or turkey bone broth for a different flavor. There are commercial bone broths you can find at some of the pet stores/web sites that are probably better for Ox than the human kind. For example,

Only Natural Pet Free-Range Turkey Bone Broth for Dogs & Cats, 17-oz box - Chewy.com

There are also freeze dried food raw cat food that can be re-hydrated by adding water, which might work to help Ox get back in to being interested in wet. Such as,

Stella & Chewy's Tummy Ticklin' Turkey Dinner Morsels Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Food, 8-oz bag - Chewy.com

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats get bored, that's why it's important to have many different brands and flavors on hand and change it daily or every 2 days. I mean you'd get bored too if you ate the same thing for months.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats get bored, that's why it's important to have many different brands and flavors on hand and change it daily or every 2 days. I mean you'd get bored too if you ate the same thing for months.
That may be true for some cats, but Feeby ate the same thing for 10 years and had no problem with it. I think a better indicator is whether a change in food preference is a life long issue with a cat, or a new event.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby ate the same thing for 10 years and had no problem with it.
My big Poppycat is another kitty who has been stuck with his fancy feast for his life. Sometimes Friskies, and sometimes other foods I'm happier with LOL but nearly always fancy feast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm noticing that this food has steamed bone meal fairly high on the ingredient list. That may be something to be aware of.
Thanks, Furballsmom Furballsmom , I would have *never* noticed that. Is that an undesirable ingredient?

I went out today and bought a whole slew of food. Picked up Stella and Chewy's Freeze Dried Chicken and mixed up about a 1/4 cup for him -- he ate it up immediately. Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ! We actually don't know how old Ox is -- he was a shelter kitty and they said 2-4 years, but the vet said he may be older (teeth and slightly elevated SDMA) but that it's really hard to tell. If I had to guess I'd say probably 7 or 8?