Owning A Male Or Female Cat - Which Do You Prefer?

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's honestly going to be months till I can get a new furry companion, since my cat died, but I've been pondering if I should get a male kitten instead of a female kitten this time. I had male cats before, and they all were fantastic cats, but my family overall dislikes male cats (and male animals), with their main reason why is because they "spray everywhere". Despite spraying never being a problem here, it is my main concern, so what are the odds of neutered male kittens spraying? What are the pros and cons of owning a male cat compared to a female cat to you? From experience, my male cats were a lot more easy-going, quiet and loving whereas my female cats were a lot more independent, shy and skittish, and sometimes snotty :p Is it better to own a male cat or a female cat, or is it equally as so?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Female cats mark too. Sometimes worse than the males.
I would think a lone neutered male might not spray at all. I have a male who lived by with only one other cat for nearly two years before being neutered and he hasn't ever sprayed.
I don't have a preference though because I just go by personality. Male or female doesn't matter.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a girl and "know" several male and female cats. Based on my own experience, boys tend to be easy going while girls may have attitude (especially, mine :p ).
We chose to have a girl vs. boy is mainly for the health concern. Boys seem more easily getting blockage if not hydrated or under stress. I do feed wet though.
A typical conversation between Vega and I is:
"Good girl...good girl...NO!":frustrated:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, my male cats have been much more friendly and cuddle-y than my female cats. My first cat when I was a child was a female Calico/Torti, I can't remember if she was cuddle-y or not, but I remember she was friendly and always came when I called her. My male cats have never sprayed except for Demi when he had a UTI.