Overwhelmed with cat food

FinleyLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone please help recommend a good guilty wet cat food. I have one cat that’s fat and likes just about everything, he’s doing well on dr elseys but this is out of stock now where I buy locally due to covid. The other cat is very picky and a few months ago had a blockage and was hooked up to a catheter. He has had no issues, he doesn’t like shreds only pates, but again very picky. I am very concerned about what I feed them both now in terms of guiltily and ingredients. I have looked at some options on cat food db and some seem good but have a higher amount of calories from fat than protein, I thought it should be high protein, moderate fat and low carbs. I just would please like some suggestions, I am stressed about the food, my picky cat is stressed and currently eating dry food but not much of it. I am also in Canada so some options limited. Any suggestions thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats are picky it is more trying to get them to eat at all rather than stress about their diet. Was the blockage intestinal or kidney-related? If kidney-related there are many supplements you could give, they have them on Amazon and pet med sites. It wouldn't hurt. Kidney problems usually require less protein, sodium, and phosphorous in the diet and EVERY supplier sells kidney care food, Wellness, Purina, Science diet, etc. you just have to try them and see which ones they prefer. If they prefer dry food, find a good quality dry food for kidney care weight maintenance. I feed dry Purina Pro Plan in weight maintenance. They are out there. If they do prefer dry just try to encourage lots of water, fountains (takes them a while, but they DO drink more) set many little bowls of water around so they check them out, then they drink. It's like they need several bowls everywhere to remind them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FinleyLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When cats are picky it is more trying to get them to eat at all rather than stress about their diet. Was the blockage intestinal or kidney-related? If kidney-related there are many supplements you could give, they have them on Amazon and pet med sites. It wouldn't hurt. Kidney problems usually require less protein, sodium, and phosphorous in the diet and EVERY supplier sells kidney care food, Wellness, Purina, Science diet, etc. you just have to try them and see which ones they prefer. If they prefer dry food, find a good quality dry food for kidney care weight maintenance. I feed dry Purina Pro Plan in weight maintenance. They are out there. If they do prefer dry just try to encourage lots of water, fountains (takes them a while, but they DO drink more) set many little bowls of water around so they check them out, then they drink. It's like they need several bowls everywhere to remind them.
It was a urinary blockage. We got the cats a water fountain and now they have huge pees. I’d rather not feed him dry food and get him on wet food, I just want something not crappy to get him onto. I also don’t have anything in rotation so it has to be affordable to feed exclusively.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I feed Feeby Fancy Feast pates - I think they are a reasonably good food and do not contain any grains/fillers. At least take a look at them to see what you think. I also feed her Sheba & Nutro perfect portions which come in pate too, and are pretty much the same as Fancy Feast in terms of ingredients.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found these ones that appear to be higher in calories from protein and lower in fat. It's not a significant amount, but it's something.

FirstMate Limited Ingredient Cage Free Chicken Formula Cat Food Review
ZiwiPeak Venison Recipe Cat Food Review
ZiwiPeak Rabbit & Lamb Recipe Cat Food Review

Edit:

This one appears significant. About 67% protein and 22% fat (from calories).
Not sure if it comes in pate though, sadly.
Boreal Red Tuna With Gravy Cat Food Review
Boreal Red Tuna With Whitefish In Gravy Cat Food Review

I'm not in Canada but I googled these brands and I'm pretty sure they're Canadian brands. I also don't know much about Canadian prices, so hopefully they are not out of your range. :(

Edit #2:

Okay, last edit, but I also found this brand that looks pretty good for what you're looking for. It also may not come in a pate though, you'll have to see.

Canidae Adore Cat Wet Food With Tuna, Chicken And Mackerel In Broth Cat Food Review

Last edited: