Overnight Guests Who Don't Like Cats: What To Do?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others that her own room is the best solution when you aren't home. This situation would never fly in my house, but I understand that you are dealing with a different cultural norm. My husband wouldn't put up with it. I remember once we had the pastor and deacon visit. I had just served everyone a glass of lemonade when one of the cats decided to jump up beside the deacon. He promptly pushed the cat off and muttered something about disliking cats. My husband then reached over, picked up the still full glasses of lemonade and thanked them for stopping by and assured them we didn't want to keep them.

Good for your DH. I'm just stunned that anyone could NOT fall in love with your cats. They are all so gorgeous.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for your DH. I'm just stunned that anyone could NOT fall in love with your cats. They are all so gorgeous.
Thank you. The cat who did this wasn't a Persian - this was before I got into pedigreed cats. He was a lovely black and white rescue from the local shelter, who was named CB (short for Cuddlebug).

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will stress your cat, but I think it might be wise to hoard her with your cat sitter. That way, the chance of anything unfortunate happening is greatly reduced. No cat escaping or a potential of your FIL doing something unfortunate to the cat.

Some cultures don't tolerate cats or dogs very well.

Keep us updated, please.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with a safe room, but I definitely wouldn't lock her in. I would just let FIL know that if he wishes to stay at your home, there is a cat here. You will do your best to keep her away but this is her home too. He definitely is not to ever kick her. If he is not ok with this, then he needs to stay at a hotel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gigi6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the others that her own room is the best solution when you aren't home. This situation would never fly in my house, but I understand that you are dealing with a different cultural norm. My husband wouldn't put up with it. I remember once we had the pastor and deacon visit. I had just served everyone a glass of lemonade when one of the cats decided to jump up beside the deacon. He promptly pushed the cat off and muttered something about disliking cats. My husband then reached over, picked up the still full glasses of lemonade and thanked them for stopping by and assured them we didn't want to keep them.
Good for you husband! Unfortunately in my case, things are trickier because we’re dealing with a close relative, and more so like you said because he’s from a different culture. My husband and I have made it clear it to him last time he came that we love the cat, and despite whatever his opinion is, she’s a family member and we treat her as such. He will respect our rules when we are around, and we can always intervene if Coco somehow comes into his “personal space”. I also know that he wouldn’t set out to harm or scare my cat on purpose. My concern is how he would behave if both my husband and I are not around. He wouldn’t go looking for the cat, but if she somehow ends up close to him or goes to touch his stuff out of curiousity, I’m not 100% sure he will always be gentle and out of fear he may react inappropriately. Also as I’ve mentioned before he’s a bit of a busybody and he may be in and out of the backyard without always making sure to close the door, giving Coco a chance to get out of the house. I don’t want her to be exposed to any of that, so all you guys gave me great solutions & suggestions, which is to keep her in a designated comfortable room where she can be fully safe. It’s a short-term compromise.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he may be in and out of the backyard without always making sure to close the door, giving Coco a chance to get out of the house.
That's why I wish all houses and apartments were built with a little hallway with 2 doors instead of the one door opening straight to the great outdoors. It would prevent cats from escaping.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's why I wish all houses and apartments were built with a little hallway with 2 doors instead of the one door opening straight to the great outdoors. It would prevent cats from escaping.
I am grateful for mine everyday. I can't imagine what it would be like if our home didn't have a small walk in area before completely entering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gigi6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It will stress your cat, but I think it might be wise to hoard her with your cat sitter. That way, the chance of anything unfortunate happening is greatly reduced. No cat escaping or a potential of your FIL doing something unfortunate to the cat.

Some cultures don't tolerate cats or dogs very well.

Keep us updated, please.
Thank you! I will keep you updated for sure :) Our sitter unfortunately doesn’t board pets. I have a comfortable room in the basement with that can be locked. I will temporarily “board” her there, as others in this wonderful online community have suggested, with everything she needs when we’re not around so she doesn’t have to be there alone with my FIL. The room also has a street-level window where she likes to sit and watch squirrels and birds. When my husband or myself are around, we would let her out again.

Yes it’s very unfortunate that some cultures are not very tolerant of pets. The younger generation of his country though now love and have pets, and even the more open-minded people of his age now are accepting pets and appreciating their companionship. He’s very old school and closed-minded though, and doesn’t accept change. He doesn’t believe that cats and dogs belong in our houses, and possibly has the perception that they are “dirty” and can spread diseases, which is an incredibly outdated way of thinking. He didn’t say all of these things out loud, but I’m positive that’s how he thinks and that’s why he’s afraid of any animal touching him. My husband told him that we take our cat to the vet for annual visits where she’s checked and vaccinated, and in the warmer months we give her topical flea medication to prevent her from getting fleas. He probably thinks it’s all a waste of money haha. If only he could open his mind and see how rewarding it is to have a companion pet!!

At the end of the day, he’s only staying for a short while and not coming back soon. If he does for longer than 2 weeks, we rent out an apartment or airbnb for him. So what he thinks doesn’t really matter and won’t change anything.

Sorry for the long rant!! My FIL obviously gets on my nerves haha

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, my dad was a self-proclaimed cat hater. But one day when he saw Roger warming Sweet Thing's ears he went nuclear: "Are you pinching that cat's ears?! Why on earth would you do such a thing?!" Roger had to very patiently and calmly explain what he was doing and why, because this man who "hated" cats actually hated animal abuse.

Margret