Overly Needy New Cat

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’ve just adopted a 4 month old kitten, and as soon as we brought her home, she’s been our shadow. She is constantly rubbing on our legs (even as we walk), following us as soon as walk anywhere (to the point where we’ve almost tripped on her many times), kneading as soon as we pick her up or put her on our laps, purring incessantly, meowing when we go to the bathroom, rolling on our laptops, etc. It’s not so cute anymore because it’s getting in the way of our daily routines. I also want her to become okay with being alone as my roommate and I will head back to work next week and I’m afraid she’s going to freak. Any ideas on how to help this cat feel more comfortable and independent in our place? I’ve never experienced this kind of clingy behavior from a cat before. Any advice is welcome, because she is driving us slightly mad :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to indulge her right now. Imagine how scary it is for her, being taken from all she knows. She will grow out of it, but just like a human baby needs attention, a kitten does too. It is part of the job when you get a kitten. It will be worth the effort to give your baby the love it deserves. You will receive it back many times over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you need to indulge her right now. Imagine how scary it is for her, being taken from all she knows. She will grow out of it, but just like a human baby needs attention, a kitten does too. It is part of the job when you get a kitten. It will be worth the effort to give your baby the love it deserves. You will receive it back many times over.
Yes, I think you're right. I do cuddle with her lots and show her lots of love but sometimes I just need to do my chores without fearing I'm going to trip over her! Haha. After some more indulgence, do you think she'll start to feel comfortable enough to be more independent, or will she get used to/expect constant attention?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will become more independent, but it will take some time. Every cat has a different personality, but it seems like she will be a very affectionate kitty as she grows up. I know it is annoying when you are busy, but the more attention you give her, the more secure she will feel. If you ignore her, that just makes her feel more insecure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she will become more independent, but it will take some time. Every cat has a different personality, but it seems like she will be a very affectionate kitty as she grows up. I know it is annoying when you are busy, but the more attention you give her, the more secure she will feel. If you ignore her, that just makes her feel more insecure.
Okay, thank you so much for the advice. I will try to dote on her a little more today!