Overdone Songs

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What song back in the day has been played so often infinitum that you hope you'll never hear it again?

For me, it has to be Sweet Caroline. WSB in Atlanta played it every morning at the same time that our alarm went off, so we woke up to that horn blast "Bah! Bah! Bah!" If I do hear it now, I get the heeby-jeebies. I can definitely do without it.

What about you?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a while, the radio station we listen to at work was playing Africa by Toto at least 5 times a morning. I like that song, so I won't complain, but it became a joke in the office. I don't know why they were doing that, if it was on purpose or not, but it was a couple months at least, and now they've stopped. We still make jokes when that song comes on though.

The other morning the radio station played Bicycle Race by Queen ("I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike", etc.), and after a while one of my co-workers says "I think we've heard enough about his stupid bicycle, I'm about ready to throw the radio across the room". It went on entirely too long and was exceptionally annoying! I was surprised when I looked it up and saw it was a Queen song.

I think it's funny when politicians and patriotic commercials use Born in the USA as their song. Um, maybe read the lyrics guys. You keep using that song; I do not think it means what you think it means.

Other that that I can't think of any that are too overdone. The radio station I listen to is pretty good about not overusing songs most of the time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I listen to a radio station whose motto is "We play any thing". They cater to lovers of 80s songs but have recently been playing more 90s and later stuff. You can call and if they have it they'll play it. The song I am sooo over is Rio, Duran-Duran.
They must play it at least 5 times a day. I love the station because they have no DJs, I hate the 2 or 3 DJ thing with the fake laughing and the almost sexual references.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the station because they have no DJs, I hate the 2 or 3 DJ thing with the fake laughing and the almost sexual references.
There was one station I tried, I liked the songs the played most of the day. But their morning show DJs were awful. They made NSFW jokes and the rest of the time they just giggled like they were drunk. Maybe they were. . .I don't know how they maintained the giggliness every single day, ugh.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anything by the cars or Bob Marley. My first few semesters in college were in dorms and oh my some die-hard fan played Marley every day all day into the night for months.

Before that I liked Bob Marley but that inoculated me and while I have respect for the artist (R.I.P) I never ever want to hear him again. I don't even want to hear a cover song of one of his songs. Yeah I know all the words. Even thinking of three little birds or could you be loved right now is making me cringe.

The cars were just massively overplayed in the 80's and early 90's. I never liked them.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Knew someone with a neighbor who constantly played Hot Blooded by Foreigner. I can't say I hate that song, I just don't want to ever hear it again. :p

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much any new song that comes out and becomes popular simply because it's a popular artist (and I use the term "artist" very loosely). So many new songs coming out aren't that good, so why are they so popular? And I'm not some old crochety geezer who simply hates "teens and their music ". There is really nothing special or cool or unique or catchy about lots (not all) of music today.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The radio station near me has to have some sort of contract with Post Malone/his producers because every other freaking song they play is something by him. His music is ok (definitely could be worse) but good grief. If I hear Sunflower twice in a 30 minute commute, there's an issue.

My husband's answer to this question would be the "Why Men Great Til They Gotta Be Great" song by Lizzo. He likes everything else by her, but the minute that comes on the radio, he turns the station.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that 'Wanted, Dead or Alive' by Bon Jovi is in a lot of movies. I don't mind though, because I love JBJ.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though I love Aerosmith, "I don't wanna miss a thing" was played every 3rd song when it came out. I can't say I hate the song but if you don't want to miss anything, maybe quit singing about it and pay attention ;)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I listen to oldies stations a lot and two I hear often is Margueritaville and Maggie May. I like both songs, but I've heard them more than enough over the years that I don't really care to hear them again for a while.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've mentioned the radio station I listen to, We Play Anything. Well, I used to love this song but if I never hear it again, I'll be very pleased; Hotel California.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
"Don't stop believing"-Journey
"Bennie and the jets"-Elton John
"Takin' care of business"-BTO
"My life"-Billy Joel
"Blinded by the light"-Manfred Mann
"All right now"-Free

Some people would say "Born to be wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride" but I think I could listen to that looped 24 hours a day and never tire of it lol!!!