Overcome With Grief

trom77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago I had to put my almost 10 year old cat, an orange cat named Bailey, to sleep. We rescued him when he was 1. This guy was practically my best friend and the connection we had was unreal. He followed me everywhere in the house. He slept with me, sat on my lap all the time, sprawled out on my keyboard when I was working, waited outside the shower for me to finish, and was always there waiting for me when I came home. Whenever I was sad or had a bad day, he somehow seemed to know and was even closer to me. Everyone that walked into my house fell in love with this guy immediately. He was hands down the coolest, friendliest, most unique, fun and affectionate cat I've ever known.

This past Saturday, I noticed he had a weird limp and labored breathing. He's always been an indoor cat and I didn't hear him fall or anything. I did some research online and wasn't able to figure out any reason for it. Within a couple hours, he was getting better. He still had a slight limp and was kinda standoffish but by that evening the limp was gone and he was back to his normal self.

Fast forward a few days, I went to bed shortly after watching Bailey running around, playing, having a great time. I fall asleep, then am awoken at around 4am by the sound of him struggling to get up on my bed. He finally got up and lied down near my feet. I called his name and he kinda crawled/slid up to my side. Now I could hear that he was breathing very fast and heavily. I touched him, hoping to calm him down, and he cried out. He then pulled himself off the bed and in the darkness I could tell he wasn't using his back legs. I saw him crawl out of my room and then he went down two flights of stairs to the basement. I went down to check on him. I could hear him breathing before I even got halfway there. It sounded like he was hyperventilating. By this time, I was starting to freak out. I quickly got dressed and put him in his carrier to take him to the animal hospital. It was a short ride, but he was crying out the whole time.

I waited while the vet checked him out. She came out to tell me that she had given him pain meds to calm him down. Then she delivered the devastating news: he had thrown a blood clot which had lodged in his lower body and had cut off circulation to his back legs. His body temperature was very low and his hind legs were cold.

She said that it was likely caused by heart disease and that there weren't many options. The only procedure they could do was very invasive and had less than a 30% survival rate. There was no guarantee that he would regain use of his back legs and there was a very high probability of reoccurrence.

I couldn't put him through all that, just for my own selfish reasons. I called my ex-girlfriend, who was there when we rescued him and was there for the first 8 years of our time with him, but had just recently moved out.

She was there quickly and we spent some time talking to and petting Bailey, knowing the whole time what we beeded to do. It was, by far, the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I didn't think I'd want to be in the room for the final moments. She convinced me otherwise, saying that this cat and I were so close that, not only would I regret not being there, but that Bailey might find some comfort in having me there. So I held him and watched the vet put the fluids into his IV. Within a couple minutes, he was gone. I was a wreck. It felt like the whole ordeal had taken an eternity, but it had only been 2 hours since I had woken up.

I've had cats pass away before, but this one is different. I've been really struggling with it. I have two other cats, but this one was my guy, my shadow. I see him everywhere I look in the house - in all his normal, favorite spots. My house feels so empty now that his powerful, unique personality is gone. He was friends with everyone. But the other two cats don't particularly get along with each other, but that's a story for another day.

All this is compounded by the fact that my girlfriend, who had lived with me for the last 10 years, had recently moved out. Bailey had helped me cope with this breakup and now they're both gone. Now I'm here in a quiet and relatively empty house, with two cats that don't like each other, trying to go to sleep in a bed that my favorite pet ever basically had a stroke in, and with an all-too-clear memory of watching him struggle and suffer through his final, painful moments. This has easily been the hardest 4-5 day period of my life and I am at a loss. This has been absolutely devastating and it seems to only be getting harder every day. I'm just aimlessly wandering around my house trying to pick up all the pieces of my broken heart.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that is still reading after so many words. I'm really glad I found this forum, if for no other reason than it makes me realize that I'm not crazy for feeling this way. I hope that telling my story will help me cope with this devastating loss.

_20180404_135830.JPG

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. What a devastating thing you went through. Losing a beloved cat companion is always so hard and when it happens like this it is heartbreaking to see them struggle. You did the right thing for Bailey, and as hard as it was for you, you made the best decision for him. You were with him in the end and I'm sure he knows how much you love him. You cared for him for many years and he will always be with you. I know the pain is unbearable right now. I've lost several cats over the years and I know how much it hurts. Your pain will ease with time and you will have wonderful memories of you and Bailey to reflect on. I'm glad you found this site. It is full of wonderful, compassionate people who understand what you are going through and can help you deal with your loss. Come here often and share you pain with us. It truly will help. :alright:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that this happened to your best friend, and I can understand how devastated you are as I too have been there, they work their way so deep into our hearts we love them to pieces, and when they go it hurts so badly and it feels like we too will die and don't care if we do, but somehow we do carry on and life does get better albeit very slowly. You did all that you could, sadly his quality of life was very bad and the proper thing to do was to help him out of his pain ridden body and you did that final act of love for him although it killed you to do so, but you eased his pain it is you now who is hurting but that is what we are here for, we all understand, many have lost cats in sudden and catastrophic ways and have huge scars on our hearts to prove it, but we are all still here, we survived and you will too. But it hurts, oh how it hurts.....

However you feel feel, sad, upset, okay, whatever you feel just feel it, don't try to hold it in as it only makes things worse and delays the healing process, just deal with it head on and with time it will lose some of it's "sting".

I am sorry your friend has moved on from you.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you feel empty and lost, a part of you went with him when he left. But he left a part of his heart with you also to bring comfort to your aching heart, it takes a long time to heal the hole his passing leaves behind. Time is the only thing that helps to soften the sharp edges of grief. The only thing to do is to hold onto the happy memories, to remember and celebrate the joy and companionship that sweet boy brought to your life. Do not dwell on the end, it brings nothing but pain and you have enough of that. He needed you and you were there, it is as simple as that. It destroyed you to do so, but somehow you found the strength to end his pain. There was little chance for recovery, the pain far outweighed any joy in living. You did what you had to do to spare him a future full of pain, and he thanks you for that.
You gave him the only thing he ever wanted, your love, and he repaid you a thousand times over. Don't let the pain and the death be more important than the lifetime of joy and happiness he gave you. Don't let pain overwhelm the feelings you had for him as he shared your life's journey for a while. He loves you, and that means he wants the best for you, only happiness and sunshine, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go.
That love is spiritual, so eternal, it can never be taken from you. The bond you formed with his soul over the years will tie you together for eternity. Use that bond to comfort your broken heart, that and your precious memories to keep him alive in your heart.
My heart goes out to you, I know the pain so well. but as the years go by, the pain fades if you let it. And you are left with the joy of knowing and loving this beautiful boy and letting it grow in the sunshine of your memories. Not keeping it hidden in a cold, dark place where it continues to haunt you and turns into continuing pain and tears. That he would never want for the one he loves so much. Take care...... RIP precious Bailey. You will never be forgotten, you will forever hold a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Heebeeweebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for your loss. I completely understand that having your long-time girlfriend move out, and losing essentially your best friend all at once must feel completely devastating. You did the right thing by easing Bailey's suffering, and I'm struck by your kindness in calling your ex-girlfriend for his last moments, even though it must have been hard.

All I can say is, please please take some time to care for yourself. When people are overwhelmed they can forget basic things that help them feel okay - sleep, water, fruits/vegetables. I know that you probably feel like things will not get better. I assure you, 100%, they will. Even if you don't believe it right now, just take it literally 1 day at a time. And let yourself feel upset right now, don't beat yourself up for feeling sad, angry, guilty, etc. You are going through a lot.

We are all here for you. :grouphug:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so very sorry to read about Bailey. The decision to free our beloved pets from their pain is one of the toughest ones we ever have to make. I’m sorry you’re going through this, and my thoughts are with you. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trom77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate all your thoughtful replies, they're extremely helpful! Thank you all! I'm doing a bit better, just taking it day-by-day, as I guess we all are. I work from home, here's what I missed out on today
media-1522895259266.jpg

_20180408_121028.JPG

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of Bailey. Beautiful Tiger boy! They are family, we love them and grieve for them when they pass. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Bailey, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. He was one of "those" cats, wasn't he? One of those who walk, purring, into our souls, filling a space that we never realized was empty...This is what I can tell you. He is with you still. Only his physical form is not there. He has left behind a poor, worn body that could no longer support his gentle spirit and loving heart. Shrugged of that scrap of flesh and fur like a heavy, tattered coat. And now he dances on the air, still loving you, still close, waiting for you, in the fullness of time, to join him in that dance. Be very quiet and still, and you will surely feel his love around you, for that, my friend, never dies. It abides.

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I had to put my almost 10 year old cat, an orange cat named Bailey, to sleep. We rescued him when he was 1. This guy was practically my best friend and the connection we had was unreal. He followed me everywhere in the house. He slept with me, sat on my lap all the time, sprawled out on my keyboard when I was working, waited outside the shower for me to finish, and was always there waiting for me when I came home. Whenever I was sad or had a bad day, he somehow seemed to know and was even closer to me. Everyone that walked into my house fell in love with this guy immediately. He was hands down the coolest, friendliest, most unique, fun and affectionate cat I've ever known.

This past Saturday, I noticed he had a weird limp and labored breathing. He's always been an indoor cat and I didn't hear him fall or anything. I did some research online and wasn't able to figure out any reason for it. Within a couple hours, he was getting better. He still had a slight limp and was kinda standoffish but by that evening the limp was gone and he was back to his normal self.

Fast forward a few days, I went to bed shortly after watching Bailey running around, playing, having a great time. I fall asleep, then am awoken at around 4am by the sound of him struggling to get up on my bed. He finally got up and lied down near my feet. I called his name and he kinda crawled/slid up to my side. Now I could hear that he was breathing very fast and heavily. I touched him, hoping to calm him down, and he cried out. He then pulled himself off the bed and in the darkness I could tell he wasn't using his back legs. I saw him crawl out of my room and then he went down two flights of stairs to the basement. I went down to check on him. I could hear him breathing before I even got halfway there. It sounded like he was hyperventilating. By this time, I was starting to freak out. I quickly got dressed and put him in his carrier to take him to the animal hospital. It was a short ride, but he was crying out the whole time.

I waited while the vet checked him out. She came out to tell me that she had given him pain meds to calm him down. Then she delivered the devastating news: he had thrown a blood clot which had lodged in his lower body and had cut off circulation to his back legs. His body temperature was very low and his hind legs were cold.

She said that it was likely caused by heart disease and that there weren't many options. The only procedure they could do was very invasive and had less than a 30% survival rate. There was no guarantee that he would regain use of his back legs and there was a very high probability of reoccurrence.

I couldn't put him through all that, just for my own selfish reasons. I called my ex-girlfriend, who was there when we rescued him and was there for the first 8 years of our time with him, but had just recently moved out.

She was there quickly and we spent some time talking to and petting Bailey, knowing the whole time what we beeded to do. It was, by far, the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I didn't think I'd want to be in the room for the final moments. She convinced me otherwise, saying that this cat and I were so close that, not only would I regret not being there, but that Bailey might find some comfort in having me there. So I held him and watched the vet put the fluids into his IV. Within a couple minutes, he was gone. I was a wreck. It felt like the whole ordeal had taken an eternity, but it had only been 2 hours since I had woken up.

I've had cats pass away before, but this one is different. I've been really struggling with it. I have two other cats, but this one was my guy, my shadow. I see him everywhere I look in the house - in all his normal, favorite spots. My house feels so empty now that his powerful, unique personality is gone. He was friends with everyone. But the other two cats don't particularly get along with each other, but that's a story for another day.

All this is compounded by the fact that my girlfriend, who had lived with me for the last 10 years, had recently moved out. Bailey had helped me cope with this breakup and now they're both gone. Now I'm here in a quiet and relatively empty house, with two cats that don't like each other, trying to go to sleep in a bed that my favorite pet ever basically had a stroke in, and with an all-too-clear memory of watching him struggle and suffer through his final, painful moments. This has easily been the hardest 4-5 day period of my life and I am at a loss. This has been absolutely devastating and it seems to only be getting harder every day. I'm just aimlessly wandering around my house trying to pick up all the pieces of my broken heart.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that is still reading after so many words. I'm really glad I found this forum, if for no other reason than it makes me realize that I'm not crazy for feeling this way. I hope that telling my story will help me cope with this devastating loss.

View attachment 226167
I am so sorry to hear about Bailey, he sounds and looks like he was an amazing character and fantastic company.

I totally believe you made the best decision for him with the information you were given. It is one of the hardest decisions to ever make and I too was faced with this situation last month when I said goodbye to my 8 and a half year old silver tabby Whiskas.

They leave such a big hole in our lives and it feels like it is impossible to continue as normal without them. I still cry everyday because I miss him so much. You are definitely not crazy, it is clear that you and Bailey were so very close and shared a special bond. It is going to be painful right now, and it still is for me, but I hope you will find peace knowing that the decision you made was with Bailey’s welfare and best interest at heart. Try and concentrate on remembering how he was in his prime and remember the joy and comfort you both brought each other.

I have begun writing in a little note book. Every time a fond memory of Whiskas pops into my head, I write it in the note book. I placed the note book on a window ledge the other day and realised that Whiskas’ paw prints were on the ledge. I don’t ever want to clean it!

I hope with time that our hearts will mend and we will feel less pain. Thinking of you x

RIP Bailey

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Bailey looks like such a wonderful, beautiful boy. It's not crazy to miss him so much, but from the pictures and your story it sounds like you gave him as much love, devotion and snuggles as he gave you. So sorry for your loss.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just saw this and read your story and could relate in so many ways. My Timmer was my soulmate too. Always there. I love your pictures of Bailey being there while you sit or work. Timmer was always by my side too. The loss is devastating. I lost Timmer back in January and it still hurts me. I don't want to say it gets better, but we learn to make a new life that is without their presence. It's very sad. Some days I still can't believe it, and, like now, writing this, I'm crying. I miss my guy and I know you miss yours.
I have another cat, but she's not affectionate really. The thing is Bailey and Timmer had such huge presences and big life force. It's hard to believe it's gone.
I hope you are doing better since you said good-bye.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome Bailey. It always so hard to say goodbye. Especially to our soulmate kitties. We sometimes don't know how to go on without their presence in our lives, but they will always have a presence in our hearts.

My dad had a shop dog and shop cat when I was growing up. The dog passed away at 14 due to lyme disease in her kidneys ... her best friend was Sparky the cat. Sparky was 5. The same thing happened to her, about a month after the dog passed - my dad came to work one morning and saw her not using her back legs and crying. He thought a door got shut on her or something in the shop. The vet said the same about the blood clot causing the loss of rear leg use, and that she'd had a heart murmur for a couple years. Vet attributed the blood clot being thrown to possible heartbreak over the dog, as she searched daily for Ulli around the shop.

trom77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Bailey, he sounds and looks like he was an amazing character and fantastic company.

I totally believe you made the best decision for him with the information you were given. It is one of the hardest decisions to ever make and I too was faced with this situation last month when I said goodbye to my 8 and a half year old silver tabby Whiskas.

They leave such a big hole in our lives and it feels like it is impossible to continue as normal without them. I still cry everyday because I miss him so much. You are definitely not crazy, it is clear that you and Bailey were so very close and shared a special bond. It is going to be painful right now, and it still is for me, but I hope you will find peace knowing that the decision you made was with Bailey’s welfare and best interest at heart. Try and concentrate on remembering how he was in his prime and remember the joy and comfort you both brought each other.

I have begun writing in a little note book. Every time a fond memory of Whiskas pops into my head, I write it in the note book. I placed the note book on a window ledge the other day and realised that Whiskas’ paw prints were on the ledge. I don’t ever want to clean it!

I hope with time that our hearts will mend and we will feel less pain. Thinking of you x

RIP Bailey
Thank you for your kind words, and I'm sorry for yout loss. It's getting easier day by day, but I can't deny the fact that there is still a huge hole in my heart and a profound emptiness in my house. My other cats are good, but they're just not the same.

I totally understand what you said about not wanting to clean up the paw prints. I don't want to clean his cat bed or even vacuum up his fur. It's getting to the point where anyone with cat allergies wouldn't last 10 seconds in my house without a hazmat suit.

Thanks again for your reply. I am slowly getting better, and hope you are as well. RIP Whiskas.

trom77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bailey looks like such a wonderful, beautiful boy. It's not crazy to miss him so much, but from the pictures and your story it sounds like you gave him as much love, devotion and snuggles as he gave you. So sorry for your loss.
Thanks so much KarenKat!

trom77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just saw this and read your story and could relate in so many ways. My Timmer was my soulmate too. Always there. I love your pictures of Bailey being there while you sit or work. Timmer was always by my side too. The loss is devastating. I lost Timmer back in January and it still hurts me. I don't want to say it gets better, but we learn to make a new life that is without their presence. It's very sad. Some days I still can't believe it, and, like now, writing this, I'm crying. I miss my guy and I know you miss yours.
I have another cat, but she's not affectionate really. The thing is Bailey and Timmer had such huge presences and big life force. It's hard to believe it's gone.
I hope you are doing better since you said good-bye.
Thank you for your reply. It's hard to believe how hard this has been, and even harder to explain to non-cat people. Next time I hear 'it was just a cat', I might lose it.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you are getting better. RIP Timmer.

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful boy, he was. I lost Harry almost 3 months ago and like everyone on here, know all too well how that feels, how long it takes to move on. It seems to get harder too, every time it happens, I'm finding it especially hard this time. They are so so special, they make us feel special, its hard to describe to someone who hasn't shared their life with a cat but they really are amazing. I wish every day that their lives could be so much longer. It helps to read the stories and replies on here and realise that so many people feel the same and understand, hope it helps you.