Over 1week Old Orphaned Kitten Won’t Gain Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’m new here, both on the site and as a cat carer. I need your help.
Cats aren’t generally accepted in my country as they’re believed to be evil but I love them very much. I ran into this kitten about to be killed by a security man on Thursday (6th Aug) and I took it.
It looked skinny and tiny. Its eyes were shut and it won’t stop crying. It was probably a little less than 1week old, according to what I read.
I had no idea what caring for a cat was like so I searched the internet and for the first time, I learned about KRM. I called all the vets and pet shops, they only had ones for puppies. I tried to order on Amazon but shipping cost ten times the KRM and would be days, if not weeks before I receive it. So I fed the kitten warm water every two hours for two days until I miraculously found a pet store that had this Johnson’s Multi-Milk Gold Premium Milk Replacer for Puppies and Kittens.
When I fed it water prior, it would pee occasionally. Once, it pooped a long soft but solid poo.
When I started feeding it with the milk, its poo became really soft, almost liquid.
It is not weak or anything. It’s quite energetic, especially when it wakes up hungry. I weighed it on Saturday (8th Aug) last week and it weighed 80grams. It’s Wednesday (12th Aug) today and that hasn’t changed. I don’t know if this is normal.
Also, I noticed something it just started doing—wanting to bite my finger and sometimes aggressively. I let it a few times and it seemed to soothe it, but I also read that it’s not advisable to let it do this, so I stopped.
Monday was really emotional for me because it opened its eyes fully and they’re beautiful.
Another thing I noticed is, when it finishes feeding, it starts making a sound, and vibrating. This worries me because i feel it might be reacting to something in the milk?
It most recently now prefers to sleep on my body instead of its own bed. It literally climbs out of it, allows itself fall onto my own bed and then finds its way to my neck or arm and sleeps there.
I just need to know that this kitten will be fine. The vets here are more concerned about when it’s an adult. I’ve gone there several times and they don’t listen. If it were a puppy, they’d be all ears.
Should I worry about the weight? Is the poo normal? I feed it every two to three hours and allow it tell me when it’s full. I don’t let its milk sit for longer than 2hrs before getting rid of it and making a fresh one. I wash it’s feeding bottle in hot water after each use. I make it’s milk with warm water. I would do more if I could, but I don’t even know what I’m supposed to do.
One Vet told me not to be attached to the kitten because they usually die when they’re separated from their mum this early, but how could I not be? Please tell me what else I need to do, I’ll find a way to make it possible. I have attached a few photos to help you understand the situation better. I don’t know how to tell whether it’s he/she. I have named it Peaches anyway. Thank you.

Attachments

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good on you for taking this sweet little one in.
Sounds like you are making the kmr just has you should be, if little one struggles latching onto the bottle then you could always use a syringe.
Please do check out kitten lady videos about orphaned kittens on YouTube, she has some great advise.
Oh and if you ever struggle to get kmr then the other alternative is raw goats milk.
Has mama cat would usually simulate her kittens to go toilet for a wee/poo you will now need to do this until little one about 4weeks old. Its easy to do by rubbing in circular motions with a warm damp cloth in the genitalia area until little one goes (ideally before feeding)
Keep offering milk every 2-3 hrs 😊
Kittens should be gaining roughly 10grams per day, do weigh little one daily.
If you haven't already put a heat pad in where it sleeps but enough room for it to get off if it gets too warm! Kittens this age cannot regulate body temperature.
I hope everything goes okay for the little sweetheart, with the love and care you are giving it, it stands a chance. All the best!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
U Uzo when you write "Another thing I noticed is, when it finishes feeding, it starts making a sound, and vibrating. This worries me because i feel it might be reacting to something in the milk? "

I think the kitten is purring! The sound is a sort of low little rumbling vibration. Kittens and cats purr to comfort themselves. Your kitten is happy because it isn't hungry, its tummy is full, it feels safe and loved.

You are doing a great job caring for this little one. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the kitten is purring! :lovecat2:

The kitten needs to be fed every 2 hours right now, even if you wake it to feed it. At its current weight, it needs a minimum of 24mLs of formula each 24 hours. If you feed every 2 hours around the clock this means 2mLs at each feeding of 12 feedings in a 24-hour period.

Of course, the amount will go up as the kitten grows. Also, as the kitten gets bigger it will eat more at each feeding and the feedings can be spaced further apart, but not now, the kitten is too small.

How much has the kitten been eating each 24 hours?

The poops sound normal on formula. They should be semi-soft.

Thank you for saving this precious baby!
:heartshape:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This kmr is surely ok.

Can you get raw goats milk?

What country are you in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good on you for taking this sweet little one in.
Sounds like you are making the kmr just has you should be, if little one struggles latching onto the bottle then you could always use a syringe.
Please do check out kitten lady videos about orphaned kittens on YouTube, she has some great advise.
Oh and if you ever struggle to get kmr then the other alternative is raw goats milk.
Has mama cat would usually simulate her kittens to go toilet for a wee/poo you will now need to do this until little one about 4weeks old. Its easy to do by rubbing in circular motions with a warm damp cloth in the genitalia area until little one goes (ideally before feeding)
Keep offering milk every 2-3 hrs 😊
Kittens should be gaining roughly 10grams per day, do weigh little one daily.
If you haven't already put a heat pad in where it sleeps but enough room for it to get off if it gets too warm! Kittens this age cannot regulate body temperature.
I hope everything goes okay for the little sweetheart, with the love and care you are giving it, it stands a chance. All the best!
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate this.
I’m currently doing all this, except the heat pad. I can’t find it anywhere. So I put rice in a sock and heat it up in a microwave ever two hours, and place it next to it.
I hope everything goes well too.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
U Uzo when you write "Another thing I noticed is, when it finishes feeding, it starts making a sound, and vibrating. This worries me because i feel it might be reacting to something in the milk? "

I think the kitten is purring! The sound is a sort of low little rumbling vibration. Kittens and cats purr to comfort themselves. Your kitten is happy because it isn't hungry, its tummy is full, it feels safe and loved.

You are doing a great job caring for this little one. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Oh my goodness! This is such a relief!!! I was so worried. Thank you ever so much.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh what a sweet little one Thanks for saving peaches Keep asking any questions you have there are lots of members with experience to help you
Thank you. I most certainly will.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kitten is purring! :lovecat2:

The kitten needs to be fed every 2 hours right now, even if you wake it to feed it. At its current weight, it needs a minimum of 24mLs of formula each 24 hours. If you feed every 2 hours around the clock this means 2mLs at each feeding of 12 feedings in a 24-hour period.

Of course, the amount will go up as the kitten grows. Also, as the kitten gets bigger it will eat more at each feeding and the feedings can be spaced further apart, but not now, the kitten is too small.

How much has the kitten been eating each 24 hours?

The poops sound normal on formula. They should be semi-soft.

Thank you for saving this precious baby!
:heartshape:
Thank you. I have been feeding it ever two hours but not 2mls consistently. Sometimes it wants more, sometimes less.

I unfortunately read on the internet not to wake them up to feed, sigh. So unless it wakes up, I don’t disturb.
Its last meal yesterday was at 11pm. Next today was 2am, then 4am, then 6am, then 11am. Each time, it had about 4-5mls. Sometimes, it just wants 2mLs, never less.

Should I discontinue this and only strictly feed it 2mLs every 2hrs?
Also, I’m surprised and worried that it hasn’t gained any weight since.

I’m glad to hear the poop is normal. I read that soft poo means diarrhea, sigh!

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This kmr is surely ok.

Can you get raw goats milk?

What country are you in?
Alright, good to know.
I unfortunately cannot. I checked everywhere.
I’m in Nigeria.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree the kitten needs more food. It’s been getting enough to maintain and not lose, but not enough to grow.
Do you mean give it more of the milk formula, or include something else to its meal? What else can I feed it?

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ps. Alike hinted above she shall prob have more per day. That is prob why she doesnt add.

Healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day. Some even 20+.
Thank you. Should I feed it more of the milk or something else entirely? Also, if it’s not hungry, should I force-feed it as long as it gets more milk?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just milk at this age. No, do not force feed, but make sure it gets the minimum I stated during each 24-hour period.

How much has the kitten been eating at each feeding? Has it gained any weight yet?

Ashleyninja

Cats made the world Amazing
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Should I feed it more of the milk or something else entirely? Also, if it’s not hungry, should I force-feed it as long as it gets more milk?
You shouldn't force-feed the kitten, also is your kitten progressing? Kittens must have milk at that age, I'm pretty sure that's all. I think when Peaches is 5 to 6 weeks old, then you can start introducing him/her to dry food, but still keep on feeding him/her with milk! To know if your kitten is weaned I think you should check by with a vet, and also you can determine Peaches' gender

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Alright, good to know.
I unfortunately cannot. I checked everywhere.
I’m in Nigeria.
Pardon me, in Nigeria and no goats there?
Here in Sweden we cant get raw goats milk either. So my knowledge here is mostly by hearsey. Even if its massive and thrustworthy.

Other types of goat milk, alike powdered or bottled, are usually also OK to use. Although not the same potential plusses for sickish kittens.
Just make sure its full fat, no fancy low fat diet version. So, at least 2,5% to be useful... Natural goats milk is typically 3-3,4.%

So for example, the Meyenberg powdered goat milk is known as reliable.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my. What an adorable little kitten!

You're a hero in my eyes for saving that baby!

Like others have said, I'm pretty sure the sound is purring!! Sammy used to vibrate too, freaked me out sometimes lol

Status
Not open for further replies.