Outside Walk

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So I kinda wanna try getting spooky on a leash for walks shes getting heavy to lift so what is the best way to get her aclmated to this I'm afraid shes going to disown me if I try

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First get her use to the harness, put it on her inside the house, it can take a couple weeks. Once she is use to wearing the harness then add a leash and let her drag that around the house. Once she is ok with that then you can try taking her outside. Take things slow and don't push her, if she gets really upset inside just take the harness off and let her calm down. If she starts getting upset outside go back inside, either walk her back or scoop her up and carry her.

Most cats don't go for walks like dogs, you pretty much just follow her around were she wants to go and prevent her from going where she shouldn't.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may not be thrilled with you for a bit, but she'll get over it. I promise. And walking a cat is an adventure! You'll notice things in your neighborhood that you never saw before. A cat's eye view of the world is unique and rewarding!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Amethyst! It worked for training three kittens to wear a harness (one kitten just spooks easily and doesn’t want to go out without lots of reassurances.) I wound up adopting one kitten and I take him outside everyday. Now when I pull out the harness and show it to him he gets all excited and gets on the footstool where I put the harness on him. I will add that when I was training him and his siblings to wear a harness they always got treats when I took it off. Over time I weaned them down to just one treat ... but in the beginning I bribed them with three treats for just wearing it for 30 seconds, then a minute, then 2,3,5,10. Once I could get them to run, jump, play, & eat in the harness I got them used to dragging a leash behind them. Honestly getting them used to wearing a harness was the hardest part.

Cat training is all about breaking it into small steps, patience and repetition. Cats love routines, so make it a habit you do the same time every day.

*I found they liked the Velcro vest/kitty holster harness better over the H style harness.
* Taking her out at the same time every day helps.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking it slow is a good idea but don't be surprised if your Cat is fine with it. 2 of mine didn't need any training with a harness or leash and were ok from the first time I tried it. I just put the harness on, clipped on the least, and off we went.