Outside Cat Has Ring Worm!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have an urgent question because as usual, I am a panicky person, or the better words are, a "panicky cat mama".

You see, there is this neighbor of mine who just locked out all of her 3 cats (plus 1 outdoor) and left the responsibility of feeding them majority to me, since I cannot turn my back on them. These cats have been outside for two months or more, I guess, and are confused why they cannot enter their own home when they were used to being indoor cats since as kittens.

Anyway, my question is: I have noticed one of the cats has RINGWORMS! And now I worry as I feed them just outside the door, if my own strictly indoor cats can be infected as well?

Second question: What extra measure shall I make to ensure my cats won't get this fungus? You see, my husband and I live in this small apartment and I worry that there is not much space farthest from the main door where I can keep my own cats for a while until this outside cat is cured.

I told the owner about this and she said she will attend to it after she comes back from her vacation! She left last night. These cats are always at my front door!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ringworm is very infectious. The only way you can prevent its transmission is by preventing all contact. It’s also a pain to treat. Maybe things have changed, but when my cats had ringworm 11 years ago, they had to be treated with 6 weeks of daily pills.

So I would keep the neighbor’s cats outside and your own inside while this situation continues. I don’t have printable words to describe your neighbor.

Thank you for being a good person and feeling responsible for these animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Ringworm is very infectious. The only way you can prevent its transmission is by preventing all contact. It’s also a pain to treat. Maybe things have changed, but when my cats had ringworm 11 years ago, they had to be treated with 6 weeks of daily pills.

So I would keep the neighbor’s cats outside and your own inside while this situation continues. I don’t have printable words to describe your neighbor.

Thank you for being a good person and feeling responsible for these animals.
Yes, ringworm is nasty. One of my cats, Barley, came into our lives because my husband saw him one cold winter morning outside, emaciated, dirty and with ringworms. He brought him into our apartment, sent to the vet the next day to check for ownership (no microchip) and check up, where the vet confirmed it was ringworms. We treated him for weeks. And decided to keep him forever. He is a very gentle persian mix cat. I always believed he had an owner because of his personality. I am lucky we have him now.

My cats are strictly indoors. I am just worried that if ringworms are airborne then my cats are at a risk. What is separating them from the cats outside is merely a door, and my neighbor's cats are always just outside, even blocking our way in and out most of the time. There are instances that they even rush to go inside our apartment as we open the door. It really is so stressful every time.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t think ringworm is airborne but it can easily be transmitted by fomites (that’s a fancy word for “objects”) and on your hands. So make sure there is no sharing of dishes and that you wash your hands before handling your cats, maybe even wear gloves when touching the outside ones.

Good luck and thank you for taking care of these poor kitties. I have no printable words for their owner.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, direct contact. And on people, as long as they are being treated and put on a bandaid, they are allowed back in school, etc. Wash your hands well after touching anything they have, bowls, water dishes, etc. Are you sure it is ringworm? It could be a cat fight, etc., that caused the hair to fall out. If only on one cat it would be very rare to be ringworm because it is very contagious and would have passed on to all of the outdoor cats. If you get it, buy a athlete's foot salve, apply it and keep it covered with a bandaid. keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks guys. Thanks for the info and advice.

I am quite sure it is ring worm as my Barley had one before when we rescued him off the street, but I still hope I am wrong. I will keep observing the cat. I also do hope their owner comes back soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some cheap clotrimizole cream (brand name is Lotrimin in the US) and rub some into the cat's lesions (best to wear disposable gloves---if that's not possible, be sure to wash your hands very thoroughly and use a paper towel to dry with). It won't cure a serious fungal infection, but it could cure a small infection, and will help at least a little, with minimal cost on your part, and might beat back the infection well enough for the cat's immune system to take over.

Last edited: