Outdoor to indoor help

rgosuto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a cat who for three years has been indoor and outdoor. We moved about four months ago and she has acclimated to the new home, but she can no longer go outside in this complex. For the first three months we would let her outside occasionally but our landlord called to remind us that she must stay inside, so for the last month we have had to go cold turkey and keep poor Noki inside!
She has been mostly indoor since we moved, but she now spends hours tapping on the patio glass door, windows, front door to try to get outside. Noki even taps the mirrors and tv screen! Its becoming obsessive. She growls anytime you try to get her to stop- VERY loudly, like a dog (though she has NEVER bitten or scratched anyone in aggression, she only growls). I have tried feliway, which barely worked, and taking her outside on a leash, which still ends up in her growling at us everytime she turns around and sees someone at the end of the leash. She's very much more cat-like now, doesn't cuddle like she did before we moved and refuses attention unless youre at the front door.
My girlfriend and I are running out of ideas, we can't let her outside but we just want our loving kitty again.
If anyone has any experience, please let me know what helps!
By the way, I have plenty of toys and two six foot cat trees, one of which is very elaborate with toys, climbing space, platforms and hidey holes which she uses frequently. She's got plenty to keep herself entertained- I know a big outdoor-indoor transition issue has to do with the lack of interests indoors.
Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Feral cats who've only lived outside can adjust to living inside only, so there's certainly hope for your girl. :hearthrob:

Here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats were taken off from the streets. I also had ferals before whom I fostered and by the time they went to their forever homes, there were already used to indoor living. One was even afraid to step out the door anymore. 😊

One of my cats who I rescued as an adult from the street also does the scratching on the windows, tapping on the doors, etc. She has been with me for years. She only goes out with leash, and is also not very often. But after the scratching, tapping and sometimes even growling she gets probably tired and just sits by the window watching movements outside. Our window has a mini-catio where she can do the sun-bathing during the day while still being technically “inside”. You can ask your landlord’s permission if you can build one yourselves. Otherwise, you just have to ignore the tantrums like I do. She will get used to it in time. She is much safer inside also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgosuto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the resources! Really appreciate it 😊

rgosuto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All my cats were taken off from the streets. I also had ferals before whom I fostered and by the time they went to their forever homes, there were already used to indoor living. One was even afraid to step out the door anymore. 😊

One of my cats who I rescued as an adult from the street also does the scratching on the windows, tapping on the doors, etc. She has been with me for years. She only goes out with leash, and is also not very often. But after the scratching, tapping and sometimes even growling she gets probably tired and just sits by the window watching movements outside. Our window has a mini-catio where she can do the sun-bathing during the day while still being technically “inside”. You can ask your landlord’s permission if you can build one yourselves. Otherwise, you just have to ignore the tantrums like I do. She will get used to it in time. She is much safer inside also.
Thank you!!

rgosuto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks a lot!! I really hope I can figure it out