Outdoor smell?

shannontalan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever heard of a perfectly non aggressive cat getting aggressive/fearful from a smell outdoors?
I opened my back door and both of my cats started growling and howling and run away from Each other and hid.

help, it’s the second time today my cat has flipped out either near the door or outside. A place he normally loves going for a visit…

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! It is not at all unheard of for a scent to cause aggression and scare a cat. It usually signifies to the cat , some form of danger to them. It could be anything from a predator, another cat or even something like chemicals or smoke. Scent is very important to cats as a survival tool. Something is outside your door that they know about whether you can see or smell it or not. Any chance of a new cat in the area, a predator or dog or even a human that has scared them? It may take a bit of detective work on your part but I can assure you that their behavior is trying to tell you something. Trust them to know. Their instincts and sense of smell/hearing are excellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannontalan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! It is not at all unheard of for a scent to cause aggression and scare a cat. It usually signifies to the cat , some form of danger to them. It could be anything from a predator, another cat or even something like chemicals or smoke. Scent is very important to cats as a survival tool. Something is outside your door that they know about
whether you can see or smell it or not. Any chance of a new cat in the area, a predator or dog or even a human that has scared them? It may take a bit of detective work on your part but I can assure you that their behavior is trying to tell you something. Trust them to know. Their instincts and sense of smell/hearing are excellent.
Wow! Thank you. My cat literally flipped out today, craziest thing ever. I’m washing down the yard and keeping him