Outdoor/indoor, and carbohydrates

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you can answer my questions, but I'm not sure whether they are in your "field".

I often see that the domestic cats and some special breeds often are free to go outside as they please, but some breeds, like persians, don't go outside. Is this just a choice the owners make, or has it something to do with the genetics of each breed? I would think that breeds like bengals would want to go outside, but from tv and internet, it seems to me as if these are kept indoors, even though they are full of energy.

So does the genetics decide whether a cat is active or not, and if it is more of an outdoor cat? 

So over to another matter. Cats are carnivores, and as a result they don't need much carbohydrates, and can't process (is that the right word??) it like us.  But does this include all carbohydrates? And is it like how we can't process cellulose so well, or worse? 

Can cats process monosaccharides better, or has this no say in the matter?

I often see people on the internet claiming that cats don't need carbohydrates at all, but even in the wild their prey would contain this, so is it not wrong to say this? And what about important carbohydrates like glycogen and gamma globulin?

Cell membranes contain some short chained carbohydrates as well, is it the same with cats?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think that at least for domestic cats this is really a matter of genetics.  Many if not most people here keep their kitties indoors.  It does take some work with enriching their environment for them to thrive indoors.  As far as diet goes http://www.catinfo.org/  is a good website written by a vet on the dietary needs of a domestic cat.  It is true that there would be a small amount of carbs ingested with prey but the vast majority of a cats natural diet is meat and fat.

The lower level hybrid cats have different needs because of the percentage of wild cat that is in them.  They will often be higher energy, don't do well with processed food and there are often litter box issues.  I know early generation Bengals will go in whatever water they can find rather than a litter box.  Many lower generation hybrids need a raw diet to thrive.

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho Cat Lovers,

Genetics does make cats higher or lower energy cats - such as a Persian (low energy) as compared to a Bengal or Abyssinian (high energy).  Keep in mind, every cat is different though.  As to wanting to go outside - more what the cat has learned and its own personality.  Overall, I think it hard to keep Bengals indoors.

Cats can metabolize carbs, via a different pathway and they prefer to use protein as their energy source over carbs.  In general, not much carbs in a carnivore diet - but they still can be processed.  Stick with well proven diets with high protein.  All raw diets - be very careful - a lot to consider to balance the diet and to not have contamination with salmonella and such. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 Is there a difference in how they digest for instance monosaccharides and other carbohydrates?

And what about important carbohydrates like glycogen and gamma globulin?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Is there a difference in how they digest for instance monosaccharides and other carbohydrates?

And what about important carbohydrates like glycogen and gamma globulin?
I think this question really belongs in the nutrition forum @withoutaname. We have several members there with a keen interest in feline nutrition who may be able to help you or refer you to the right sources :)