Outdoor Heating Pad Suggestions?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to get an outdoor heating pad for my cat.

We do have a heating outlet outdoors but i get worried about something shorting out. Or the cat kneading her claws into it.

What do others do? She is under a "tent", has a cushion, and doesn't want to move. (I made her a house and she doesn't use it.)

I would like to at least heat her cushion when it turns chilly, especially now that her siblings have gone. This will be her first year alone.

Thanks...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always used the K&H brands. They sell two different types and both are really good. I used them for many years with my outdoor feral cats.

Check around for prices. Theses are really pricey now. Amazon has a warehouse deal on one for only $20. Amazon.com: Buying Choices: KH Lectro Soft Heated Pet Bed (14" x 18")

I have used many warehouse deals and most have been just fine.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for the house you made, does it have an exit and entrance (2 doors). Some cats will not use shelters where they feel trapped. I always used to start with 2 holes and then cover one up once they were used to it.

Also has she been spayed yet? Hopefully so as they saying goes..."if you feed, they will breed."

Thank you for caring for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the nicest forum! So many thanks for caring for this kitty (who is a lot of work!) I appreciate the thanks!

I bought the KH pad. I did build a shelter but... my bad... placed it too far away. I don't have any more room on my porch. I will build a little wind shelter (you will see more ? soon) in an old Red Ryder toy red pulley trailer (not sure what you call these) with sides to it. And the heating pad. She has covering on the deck and also can go under the table if need be. And this will be on the deck. I think she wants to be near me and this I can live with.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My feral boys loved the heat pads. I am sure she will love it too.

Have you ever thought of socializing her and making her an inside kitty?

I have brought 5 feral cats into my home. Some more tame than others. It is work, but I no longer worry about their safely outside.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not really. First of all she must be at least ten years old, and I've been feedling her for eight of them and she still doesn't let me touch her, just likes it when i am near her. Second my husband doesn't like cats or care to take on any responsibilities for one. I can't do it on my own. And I am allergic to bug (think fleas, for one thing.)

So I think we are going to have to do it like this. I feel for her, I do. But I really don't think she has the "wiring" to "get" people beyond a certain point. I have come to accept that which in itself was hard, having had housecats all my life whom I loved dearly.

But unconditional love means we love no matter what, and without my love, she would die, and I cannot do that. So I give her my love and ask nothing in return. I think she is giving me all she can but... she is a feral cat who was never socialized. Does "talk" a bit though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had outdoor ferals who had no hope of socialization; in fact, I have two outside right now. You are really doing the best you can for her and her longevity shows that. I have used the KH pads as well and have never had an issue with them. In my case, I have to run it off an extension cord and even that has been fine.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!~ My KH pad came! So as soon as the weather turns cool, she may not have her siblings anymore (she lost both of them this year...) but at least she will stay warm.

At what outdoor temps do you turn it on (and off)? thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started to use mine when it dropped to upper 40's at night. Sometimes at 50. It just depended on day time temps. I turned it off during the day as long as it was 60 and sunny. My boys grew very spoiled and loved it. They wanted to use it on cloudy days even when it was in the 60's. In the winter, I never unplugged it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use it at night when it goes into the 60s but that is out here. For us, the 40s would be very cold and I assume that it would be for the cats as well. It was turned off during the day.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're in the midst of a heat wave but even so the mornings are getting brisk. It's damp and sometimes misty, early AM. I have wondered about even the 60s. Thanks everyone, this will be my first time giving her extra heat care.

Re The moisture. We are up against open space hilly forest so i think the dew hangs around. Who knows what happens at night? And it can get quite gusty and windy.

PS what setting on the heat pad? I am imagining low?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would try low at first to see how the cat reacts. As it gets colder you can turn it up as needed.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to get an outdoor heating pad for my cat.

We do have a heating outlet outdoors but i get worried about something shorting out. Or the cat kneading her claws into it.

What do others do? She is under a "tent", has a cushion, and doesn't want to move. (I made her a house and she doesn't use it.)

I would like to at least heat her cushion when it turns chilly, especially now that her siblings have gone. This will be her first year alone.

Thanks...
Snuggle Safe is a "pad" that you can microwave. You want to wrap it in something soft though. It's a solid, hard disc. But it should last the night at a toasty temperature.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have several Snuggle Safes and they are very effective. Exactly as described by tnrmakessense tnrmakessense but under a blanket or towel they are effective and I have not had any cat refuse to use the bed that I placed one in.