Outdoor feeding station

thewarriors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone point me in the direction of an outdoor feeding station they use? I currently place two bowls under a chair which doesnt do anything when it rains. Thank you.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you can build a rectangular wooden box with a sloped roof and an open front and put it up on cinder blocks. You can get a couple of skids and stack them and put a heavy-duty storage tote on top with a cat-sized hole cut in the front. Might want to cut an exit in the back or side, too, depending on the predator situation in your area. Make sure you weight the tote down so that it doesn't shift around.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they respect their station? :)
Yes. They all learned their places to eat. Of course if there was leftover food in one of the stations, it might get eaten by someone else! Yet wet food was always eaten right away. I left dry food out during the day, but picked it up at night.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
For the most part, we use storage totes on their side, with the lid used as a “lean to” against the opening and a tarp over it -

5B1AF6F7-F29B-438C-A8A4-051A51CE37A8.jpeg

A3B067C1-C83D-4C8B-B56A-4B8F5C8F2235.jpeg

Sometimes we also just use a tote right side up and just cut two holes in it like you would a storage tote shelter.

Doesn’t need to be anything fancy. If you have the money, there are some really nice and well made feeding stations on Etsy though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was, for a short time, feeding what I thought was a stray (turned out to be a neighbor's cat), I used rice bowls to elevate a chair so that he would have enough clearance to get underneath it. Underneath the chair, I used a SureFeed motion detection feeder bowl for him. It wasn't the microchip model. It was simply a motion activated lid. (About $70 vs. $170 for the microchip models.) It kept flies and rain out of the food and kept the food fresher for longer. Not like he ever left anything for later though. 😋 😹 If I ever do go back to feeding any outdoor cats, I will definitely use this feeder again.

The SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl from SureFlap

4A92474D-4090-4F96-A13B-6B47B5328ED5.jpeg

And here is the feeder in action.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catioshowcase.com has various kinds, prices and sizes of cat enclosures pictured. If you search "cat enclosures" you will see many types. Also, Heidi at The Joy of Cats has some nice YouTube videos that go through materials and how-to's. You can make these very affordably and easily. You can also sign up for her blog, which is also very nice!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was, for a short time, feeding what I thought was a stray (turned out to be a neighbor's cat), I used rice bowls to elevate a chair so that he would have enough clearance to get underneath it. Underneath the chair, I used a SureFeed motion detection feeder bowl for him. It wasn't the microchip model. It was simply a motion activated lid. (About $70 vs. $170 for the microchip models.) It kept flies and rain out of the food and kept the food fresher for longer. Not like he ever left anything for later though. 😋 😹 If I ever do go back to feeding any outdoor cats, I will definitely use this feeder again.

The SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl from SureFlap

View attachment 403081

And here is the feeder in action.
I really like your technological approach to cats' world ;)