Outdoor cat in mild pain

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
it has been a while since i've been on here, but i hope that everyone and their cats are doing well and healthy :D
I still haven't been able to find enough time to make a post dedicated to my late cats, I hope to do that by the end of the year.
My ferals have all been healthy thankfully and some have had little health problems but are all doing fine except for one (possibly)

My male semiferal (Blanco) is a year and a half old, and he's been neutered since March. He spends his nights in my garage (kept cool), along with a couple others, and eats wet and dry food mixed with lysine powder. Right now he's been walking kinda slowly, but he is able to run and jump on stuff if he has to. It seems that he's really uncomfortable somewhere in his stomach area (lower body). He still eats, especially the wet food cans, but I think he could eat more since he doesn't finish. I haven't seen him drink water, but that goes for almost all of my outdoor cats. (I have some 6 water bowls scattered around our property)

Blanco has been having this for about 3 days, but he's still acting normal; purring when pet (even gets on two legs to rub against my palm), and typically rolls around. But once he walks around places he looks like he's in a mild pain. I want to do things the most correct way possible, and would like to seek advice. Here's a new format, i'll update it if necessary:

Problem: Outdoor cat in mild pain, walks uncomfortably
Causes: Unknown, worms?, digestive/urinary problem?
Solutions:
- Let time heal (if problem doesn't worsen) & provide extra care and supplements
- Vet visit (last resort)

Notes:
- Another male cat (Niño) had a similar problem earlier this month. He was walking kinda weird and ate a little. Looked to have low energy but is doing fine now, back to normal behavior
- Blanco has always been a vocal cat, and his meows are always sounding like he's in pain, even when he's fine. I just worry since his meows sound more stressful than my other cats, if that makes sense.

- I put "last resort" on vet visit because although I am worried for Blanco, I am recovering from Covid and I'm planning on returning to work and school, so doing a vet visit would stress me financially. It is a possibility but I don't want to go unless it's absolutely necessary. I would like some help regarding what to do, what supplements to give him and keep him hydrated

Many thanks in advance :)

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a thought.... Ever been to a live feed store? They actually sell antibiotics for animals. Now, I may get yelled at, but in the part I've had to treat ailments & infections on my property for wild animals over the years. I spoke to a vet tech online that works with wildlife, and she's explained dosage and how to administer.
Essentially I shake antibiotics bought at live feed store (for farm animals typically), measure out dose per approx weight, then sprinkle over each bowl laid out. Since I can't guarantee which animal will go to.
I've helped heal many critters in doing this in the past. They have Penicillin & Clavamox at my local shop. No Rx required.
If you're strapped for cash but feel it's an infection, this might due. Just a thought. I wish you both luck!💕

stanleysworld

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you can order a worm test on amazon for under $30
Can you isolate him in a small room (bathroom) for a few days and see if this helps him rest/heal

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is good to hear from you again and I am glad that most of the cats are doing well, but am concerned that you had COVID. I hope you are feeling better.

This is tricky because I understand where you are financially, but it always worries me that a male cat, especially, might have trouble brewing. Have you see him pee and it is normal? Poop? If either of those is not up to par, you might have to get him to a vet sooner than later. Having said that, he still might have a problem elsewhere in his digestive tract. You need to watch him extremely carefully if that is all that you feel you can do right now and be ready to take him in if he gets worse.

What you are seeing in Blanco may not be the same problem that Nino had, but may just present similarly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a thought.... Ever been to a live feed store? They actually sell antibiotics for animals. Now, I may get yelled at, but in the part I've had to treat ailments & infections on my property for wild animals over the years. I spoke to a vet tech online that works with wildlife, and she's explained dosage and how to administer.
Essentially I shake antibiotics bought at live feed store (for farm animals typically), measure out dose per approx weight, then sprinkle over each bowl laid out. Since I can't guarantee which animal will go to.
I've helped heal many critters in doing this in the past. They have Penicillin & Clavamox at my local shop. No Rx required.
If you're strapped for cash but feel it's an infection, this might due. Just a thought. I wish you both luck!💕
No i haven't, and I've heard some animal caretakers use natural and "holistic" approaches. I have yet to try that out, I just need to find the correct medicines for every cat. I'll definitely look into any live feed stores around my area

What other products/antibiotics did you administer to your cats? I will not just foolishly purchase any recommendations i find on the Internet, I'll make sure to research the products before giving anything to my cats

Thank you so much for your feedback, i'll let you know if I find any feed stores and effective treatments for Blanco :)_

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
you can order a worm test on amazon for under $30
Can you isolate him in a small room (bathroom) for a few days and see if this helps him rest/heal
I will have to try to find his stool, but it's difficult when there's 24 cats in total
He's mostly an outdoor cat and spends nights in my garage, if it gets any worse I'll make sure to keep him in a dog-sized cage till i get a vet appointment (that's if it worsens, hopefully not)
Thank you so much for your feedback 🙏

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
It is good to hear from you again and I am glad that most of the cats are doing well, but am concerned that you had COVID. I hope you are feeling better.

This is tricky because I understand where you are financially, but it always worries me that a male cat, especially, might have trouble brewing. Have you see him pee and it is normal? Poop? If either of those is not up to par, you might have to get him to a vet sooner than later. Having said that, he still might have a problem elsewhere in his digestive tract. You need to watch him extremely carefully if that is all that you feel you can do right now and be ready to take him in if he gets worse.

What you are seeing in Blanco may not be the same problem that Nino had, but may just present similarly.
Thank you so much, fionasmom. I am doing better this week, but I'm still quarantining right now till I test negative

And well it's weird because I've actually never seen him pee or poop, now that i think of it. I have litter boxes in my garage, a sandbox in my backyard, and sand around the foundation of our house. I clean daily but I surprisingly i never witnessed him doing either 🤔 he's not the only cat i haven't seen go, though.

I will look to buy some probiotics for cats and some other supplements for digestive/urinary treatment. I have pumpkin puree right now, and he's still eating so im kinda hopeful that this will pass. Nonetheless, I have to make sure all of my cats stay hydrated and that their digestion/urinary functions do well

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No i haven't, and I've heard some animal caretakers use natural and "holistic" approaches. I have yet to try that out, I just need to find the correct medicines for every cat. I'll definitely look into any live feed stores around my area

What other products/antibiotics did you administer to your cats? I will not just foolishly purchase any recommendations i find on the Internet, I'll make sure to research the products before giving anything to my cats

Thank you so much for your feedback, i'll let you know if I find any feed stores and effective treatments for Blanco :)_
I never did that with my own cats. I can't afford to go to the dentist myself, but had 4 cats at the beginning of the year get their teeth cleaned and worked on.😄 They always come before myself. I had to learn how to treat wildlife with the antibiotics. I usually use a type of Penicillin called Norocillin. But saw they had Clavamox too there. That's one of the main antibiotics my vet prescribes for my cats.
Since you had said you were currently strapped for cash & couldn't take to the doc, thought it might work.
Around here, it's mostly infected animal bites being treated. Possums & raccoons. I've seen fuzzies go from limping or not even being able to use a leg, to walking right again.💕 Once it was a long time of about 5-6 weeks of medicating. But most of the time ours 1-2weeks of meds. And I always advocate taking pets to the vet, don't get me wrong. But if you're in a jam work no options, it might help. I hope whatever you do, it works out! Thanks for doing what you're doing. On life at a time, wee make a difference
🐾

Last edited by a moderator:

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally relate to your statement on the cats coming before myself lol.
Update: he's still acting in the same way as the past days.. it appears he's walking a little better. He rolls around and scratches trees.. still eating normal. When he meows it always sounds like its a distress call but then once i pet him he starts purring so it throws me off. I bought Purina One urinary tract health formula dry food, it's time all my cats eat quality food. I am aware there are more healthier food options out there but this is the only good one I can find so far
I will definitely consider those antibiotics in case i need them soon, but right now, Blanco is doing ok

you're absolutely right - day by day we make a difference :D