Outdoor cat homing problem

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to visit family in Mexico for 3 days in about 2 weeks and im worried about my ferals. I feed them everyday and they're only accustomed to me. Only problem is that I always have to go searching for them so i can feed them; my backyard is just grass, with all the trees cut down (b/c of my neighbor). so there's no real place for them to sleep and be protected from rain, sunlight, or dogs. I've been trying to work on making custom houses for them but I never have the resources at the right time. I live in Texas and so far it's been humid and hot and the cats don't rest under the improvised houses i made by my porch. They rest by the cutdown tree and where there's shade, leaves and cool soil. I've been looking into catios, but i don't know if they would like to be in those structures when there's nothing cool for them to lay on.

If you look closely there's a tuxedo cat laying by the cut down tree on the left (the one with leaves). There's shade, cool soil (it rained), and leaves
The backyard looks horrible, and i really been trying to convince my parents to help me with some projects, not only for the cats but for home improvement purposes.
backyard.jpg

What im looking for help in is for resources, tips on where i should build something for the cats, something where they'll actually sleep in and relax during the Texas heat and cold winters. Along with that an outdoor litter box for them
note: I just notice that in these hot days, they really like to lay on soil that is cool due to previous rain

This has been my top priority, i can't go to Mexico without feeling worried that my cats will wander away and die
I would sincerely appreciate any comments :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have storage containers like Roughneck in various places on my property. While I think that some ferals have accessed them in rain, I am sure that in summer those are just too hot and that is probably going to be the issue with any type of cat shelter where you are unless you can build something like a catio. I see that you have boards over cans. Can you make any sort of shade structure, even a basic one, but putting a big piece of plywood across two sturdy supports. It would have to be anchored so that it never fell and I am not inclined to any sort of handiwork so can't tell you how that would have to be done. It sounds as if the cats want shade on grass and if you could provide that in a very simple way I wonder if they would hang out more in your yard.

As for going to Mexico, no one can feed them for those few days? You may have to take a chance on having someone put out food and letting them come once they are gone, which it is likely that hungry cats might do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I have storage containers like Roughneck in various places on my property. While I think that some ferals have accessed them in rain, I am sure that in summer those are just too hot and that is probably going to be the issue with any type of cat shelter where you are unless you can build something like a catio. I see that you have boards over cans. Can you make any sort of shade structure, even a basic one, but putting a big piece of plywood across two sturdy supports. It would have to be anchored so that it never fell and I am not inclined to any sort of handiwork so can't tell you how that would have to be done. It sounds as if the cats want shade on grass and if you could provide that in a very simple way I wonder if they would hang out more in your yard.

As for going to Mexico, no one can feed them for those few days? You may have to take a chance on having someone put out food and letting them come once they are gone, which it is likely that hungry cats might do.
my mom was recommending placing a canopy tent over the concrete slab but that might be my secondary option. I was talking to my dad about building a cathouse/storage place but he says it would cost more and preferred doing it after we come back from Mexico. I will definitely try to make another structure based around where the tuxedo cat was, and another structure by the fence. I think i would like to give them a cool objects for them to lay on, possibly cool soil and fake grass? Also, during the summer, where do your cats go?

I have someone that would feed them in the mornings, but since they're only used to seeing me they probably won't all show up. Im still trying to find someone that could feed them in the evenings. But luckily it's only for 3 days

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They will probably still come for the food even if you are not the feeder. My ferals have access to my back yard which has a covered patio and also access to the side garage door. But having said that, they often look for bushes and cool ground in the summer. There are a number of backyards here which I suspect they access and no one minds as it is really not that many cats. Remember that cats can be weird and even if you make a shade structure, which is a good idea and even a canopy would work, they may still have their own favorite spots.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully they will 🙃 I must get things right in 2 weeks, this is my list of things i would like to get done
Cat struggles
- Cat repellent for Trey and John's fence
- Outdoor Cat feeding, housing and comfortable flooring (tent, mud?, cat house [2], outdoor cat feeders [vaselined?], cat sandbox)
- Cat garage (fans, comfortable cool beds, cat tree, cable mgmt.)
- Cat tracking (4 Airtags, 4 custom collars and Airtag accessories)
- Cat health (Pumpkin supplement, Revolution)
- Cat watering (4 outdoor bowls, 1 water jug, 1 [maybe 2] water fountain)

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are planning on building an outdoor home for stray cats too. But I plan on using it so they can't run off. And hold them to hold them temporarily. We are going to build a place that will have shade and a wall to block sun, wind, snow etc. And will include boxes for them to huddle in.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
We are planning on building an outdoor home for stray cats too. But I plan on using it so they can't run off. And hold them to hold them temporarily. We are going to build a place that will have shade and a wall to block sun, wind, snow etc. And will include boxes for them to huddle in.
Yea and im worried b/c my mom is tired of me having some cats in the garage every night even though i clean up everytime. I hope when i get back from Mexico I can have something like this built in my backyard.

There's this video also that is giving me some ideas : TikTok

Attachments

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a video of the one of the photo? We are trying to get ideas for building something. I'm guessing those 5 cats already knew each other. I'd be worried about a cat fight in such close quarters. Lol