Outdoor cat deterrent

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I rent a nice townhome in a relatively quiet area. I have two girls, the older of which is pretty self assured and the younger being a scaredy cat. About 6-7 months ago a young black cat started hanging out around the property. He was recently neutered when I first saw him but no ear tip. He is what I would call a soft feral - he’s ok being near people and is pretty confident but definitely no interest in being pet or being an indoor cat. He’s got a healthy coat and he’s probably behind the desiccated rodent corpses near the dumpster but someone appears to be feeding him.

Anyway, I normally wouldn’t care since he seems set and healthy but he’s figured out my girls live here and has started spraying in front of my living room windows and sitting in said windows. My confident girl goes on walks outside and has traded scent with him (rolling in the grass, heavy rubbing against those bushes) and really doesn’t care much. But my other girl is terrified and is now hesitant to even come downstairs. There are so many different deterrent products out there, I didn’t know if anyone here had any experience with something that definitely worked? One limitation I have is the space in front my living room window is a sidewalk that humans use so I can’t use one of those things with a sensor that squirts water. I really don’t want to have to trap him and take him to a shelter and it’s not fair to my one girl to be afraid in her own home 🤷‍♀️

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AFAIK if the cat doesn't have an owner you can talk too, and fencing and motion activated sprinklers are out, the only option I've seen members successfully discuss using that you haven't discussed is closing the window shades, or buying a colorful sticker (they have floral patterns for example) that will let in some light but block the view.

I've not see any real discussion of other deterrent products being successful. Maybe if you live somewhere it doesn't rain much.

You can sometimes borrow a trap from shelters/animal resue groups, or maybe there is an animal control department in your town that will trap the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, unfortunately I already have those static cling patterns for windows up so I think it’s a scent thing 🤦‍♀️

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some deterrent sprays for outdoor use. I haven't tried any personally but heard good things about them. Maybe someone else has experience using them!
Do you have an enzyme cleaner for the markings he leaves? That might help.
Also, you could use a deterrent around that window and the windowsill. You can make your own with rosemary oil and I forget what else (besides water), or you could try lemon/orange which many cats hate. Tinfoil.. something to get him away from your windowsills after you clean up the urine / marking successfully with some good enzyme cleaner?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about motion activated air cans instead of sprinklers? It might still startle the neighbors, but at least they won't get wet. I might have to do that myself as a stray cat is sitting on the outside window ledges a couple times a week and upsetting my cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's any consolation, your girl WILL eventually get used to his scent and presence. It may take up to a year, but in any cat introduction, it is slow going. If he is neutered he really shouldn't be spraying. Though it does happen in some males as you have found out. If he is neutered and cared for, he has someone taking care of him. It would be tragic to bring him to a shelter. He will most likely eventually get bored with your cats too and find a new place to mark. Give your nervous girl lots of soothing and encouragement, Put some sticky double-sided tape on your window sill to discourage him, it may have to be replaced pretty often outside. Cats HATE sticky things on their feet. If your girl is hesitant to go outside, don't force her. Going outside for any cat, even on a leash can be dangerous, it is much safer inside. I have had many escapes from harnesses guaranteed to be escape-proof, a charging large dog can be a powerful motivator and can't be predicted.