Our Two Rat Traps

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're in Hawai'i on Big Island.
We have many fruit trees scattered througout the yard that draw rats.
Rat lung worm is a problem in our area.
I had been scattering slug and snail bait and setting poison bait boxes trying to help, control the vectors for the parasite.
We had talked about getting a cat to assist in the rat abatement for quite awhile.
Finally, M'Lady said there was a "Christmas Sale" at the "Dog Pond", buy one cat get one free, such a deal.
We went by and picked a couple out, two black males.
I am very partial to black cats.

The acted as if they were litter mates, making them a good pair choice.
We picked them up after having their plumbing ammended.
They were designated as "Outdoor Cats".
They live on the screened back lanai.
After they acclimated to calling here home, I installed a pet door on the lanai entry screen door.

They quickly became an integral part of the family.
Every morning we go out with our morning coffee, feed them, and spend some time with them, now a ritual.
They are our primary source of comic relief.

Being "Outdoor Cats", they are not the most civilized, not the most well mannered, not the most docile of cats.
I lived in Alaska for almost 35 years, working in bush vilages much of the time.
They reminded me of bush kids, rowdy, noisy, not many rules to follow, but good kids.

They were constantly sneaking into the house, crawling under and tearing up ther bottom of the roll-up screen doors, just to be near us.
Just this week we finally gave in and began to alow them access to the house, no more chasing them out with a squirt bottle.
Last night they were allowed to stay the full night.
Naturally, they slept on out bed.
That will take a bit of getting used to.

I can't find the pics of them, so I just took a couple more quick and dirty ones for this post.
Hunter

The name was given with great expectations for his rat killing powers.
Also called Tubby, Fat Cat, Einstein, and a few other less flattering names.
He is the "needy" one, a lap cat that loves his morning massage at all hours of the day.
He has a lumbering walk much like a large predatory cat, lion, tiger, etc.
He's also a bit of a klutz, tripping over his feet a lot.

Then, there is Dexter

He came by that name because he would climb up the screen enclosing the lanai to escape between the screen and the roof, before I put in the pet door.
He is also called Slim, Skinny Cat, Dummy, the less politicaly correct Pansy Cat, and Pussy Foot, because of his mincing style of walking.
He also is called a lot of other less flattering names.
He is the tree climber extrordinaire.
He doesn't like to be picked up, or sit on a lap.
He just loves to be near us and forces us to bend over to reach him on the ground to pet him.
He is also the rat catching champion.
He is our favorite.

I've come to the site because of questions about cat "body bug" control to be addressed in another forum.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley: From one black cat lover to another, welcome to TCS!
welcome-banner2.gif
Hunter and Dexter are beautiful cats, just beautiful. I see that Dexter really has gotten into the good life and is now sprawling on the bed as though he owns it. That didn't take long! ;) Your description of their personalities really brought them to life - they both sound like wonderful cats. And I know exactly what you mean when you say that Hunter walks like a large predatory cat - my late cat Wesley (also black) had the same walk.

I've not seen your other post yet about the problems Hunter and Dexter are having with bugs but will take a look as soon as I finish writing this. I can well imagine that chasing (and catching) rats makes for extra severe flea infestations. Rats carry diseases, too. I once had a cat get extremely sick after catching a rat so I always worry about these situations. Still, I have to ask. Have Hunter and Dexter lowered the rat population in your yard?

Please take a look around the site - you'll find there is a massive amount of information available here in the articles and threads. It's also a great place to make friends. This is a community as well as a resource for help with cat related issues. And post lots of photos. We can never have too many photos! :camera:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
F767E682-CE0F-4D78-9C04-C36550284472.gif
Voyager, Hunter and Dexter, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
665AAF6C-2DBA-4B74-9CD2-B77BDCB8E4AE.gif

Glad to have you with us and feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and and do check out the many informative articles we have here Articles | The Cat Site

Do post more photos of Hunter and Dexter and we have a special thread just for them here Black Cats Only

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :hithere:
Hunter and Dexter are very handsome boys. :purr:

I love how they've wormed their way into your home, bed and, probably, heart. :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Say as nice of things about them as you want.
But, we all can see just what scruffy rascals they are from the pics.
We tried bathing them both once.
They were not happy with that.
Then, Dexter got another bath for sneaking into the house before it was OK to do so.
Now he really gets nervous when being held near water.
He pushes his feet out and spreads his toes and claws.
Neither can understand why we climb into the spa and immerse ourselves in the water.
They sit on the bench or put their front feet on the rim of the tub to look at us and obviously think how dumb we are.
We've decided that they get enough bathing from the rainfall now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spent most of the day attacking black algae around the yard - on the roof, and the concrete pad by the garage.
Had to keep the cats from drinking the water on the pad because of using an algaecide in it.
I used the broom to chase them off.
Usually, they play with it when M'Lady sweeps the lanai and garage.
I had to instill a bit of respect for it in them before I could use it effectively to ward them off.

I rinsed my feet off when done.
Tubby heard the water running and ran out through the pet door butting it open with his head.
He gives me a headache every time I see him do it.
His head must be made of rock.

They love to drink from this faucet

We keep 2 large bowls on the lanai.
1 in the screened area, and 1 out on the open area.
They prefer this to both of those.

Tub has the most brutish looking profile

That flat face from the forehead to the tip of his nose just makes him look sinister and deadly.

From the front, head on, he has the cutest round face with those big yellow eyes

or something like that

Dexter has a more kittenish shape to his head, being more vertical as it passes his eyes.

The shape of his head, the way he tucks his front paws and his being a talker makes me think he has some Siamese in him. The best part is that he doesn't have that Siamese yowl, but has a very soft, quiet, kittenish meow. Once he starts talking I do my best to keep him going.

And then, finally, the guys doing what they do best.

Found this video of the guys a few weeks after getting them

Last edited: