Our Tragedy Today

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry this is a very sad post to have to make, completely devastating to write and for those who will read it.
My beautiful Damien died today.
He was only 20 months old, we just werent expecting it, he was healthy and so young and full of fun and not even fully grown yet.

I just cant believe im saying these words, my Damien my boy, its like its not real like hes coming back. Hes only been gone less than a day and i miss him.

He was just laying on the floor under the kitchen table when i got up to give them breakfast this morning.
I wondered why he didnt come for his food.
I went to where he was laying and i knew.

I cried. My husband cried. My children cried.
We still cry.
We took him to the vet and she started what she called a pre liminary exam, and almost straight away noticed his mouth, gums and tongue were blue tinged.
She was checking inside his mouth when she said she could see something in his throat. She got out some kind of long tweezers and pulled out a fairly large piece of hard green plastic.
She then told us she believed our boy had choked to death.
Oh dear God i never thought something like this could happen!
Why didnt i hear him? How does a cat choke? What did he choke on? My God what did my poor baby go through? My heart breaks for him he must've been so scared, and i ask again, why didnt i wake up and hear him?

Im so sad i cant bear it.
Im sorry this is a long post, i cant sleep, i just keep thinking.
20170920_104818_optimized.jpg

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry <3 accidents happen-i worry about this scenario exactly and pick up any little bits of plastic BUT things hapoen-ive come home to find my kitty playing with a bottle cap or something and wondered where they found it. I sweep and im careful but no ones perfect-we all just do the best we can.

Sending you hugs, and again im so sorry.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh HellsBells80 HellsBells80 ! I am so sorry for your loss. When you post on the games forum I have seen your picture of sweet Damien. Please try not to be too hard on yourself. Kitties are curious about everything and they get into everything, too. That's one reason we love them so much. We want to blame ourselves when something goes wrong, but sometimes things just happen. You and your family are in my prayers. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your kind words, I appreciate it so much.
This is just so shocking, I mean the thought of this happening never crossed my mind. I always look out for broken toys or anything like that, that could be dangerous, I just can't understand how this happened.
What about the others, will they grieve for him? How will they cope? What am I to do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The others will miss him too, just grieve with them and comfort each other. Accidents happen, but I hope you can remember that it was an accident, there was no intent on your part so please don't hold any guilt. You would never intentionally do anything to harm that sweet boy. And he knows it. He knew he was loved, and he took that with him when he left, and he thanks you for the wonderful home and the love you gave him. If any good can be seen at all in a tragedy like this, you have just performed it, you may have prevented another family from going through this pain by warning them of household dangers, you are doing a good deed in the middle of all this pain, he would be proud of you, and i thank you too.
The bond you have with him will tie him forever to your soul, the new path he follows will forever parallel your own. We can never change the past, but go forward as they would want, to add new loves to our heart and find happiness once more in being alive. As we would want for them if we were the first to go.
There are no answers for your heart, tragedies like this remind us how fragile life can truly be. My heart goes out to you, i know how much this hurts and how long it takes to get through it. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care of yourself, there are others who need you..... RIP beautiful Damien. You will never be forgotten and you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so, so sorry...
((HUGS))) and love being sent.

Please try to be kind to yourself and your family..
Yes, accidents do happen. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try to keep things kitty-proof and child-proof, badness happens..
Kittens are so into everything!! and I mean everything!!!

Damien was loved-- that is all he knew.. love.. keep thinking of that.

When I was living at home, One day, my mom was hand sewing something. She was extremely careful with the thread, and the needles.

I came home, saw my cat vomiting something which kept popping back into his mouth. It was gross.. Immediately took him to the Vet.. The Vet opened his mouth and looked. Sure enough, there was a needle, attached to string, stuck in his soft palate-- upper roof of mouth.. YUP... he was playing with the string, swallowing it..

My mom felt horrible.. Cats get into everything...

My angel guy ate a bell... go figure... We feel horrible, but things happen..

love, and hugs

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is terrible, I am so sorry that this tragic accident happened to you all, sometimes really bad things just happen but please don't blame yourself although I also would beat myself up and feel guilty about it but there was nothing that you could have done, just very bad timing and a tragic accident and like someone said cats do get into everything, it is so hard to cat proof the entire house.

Years ago I noticed something at Slim's rear end, and when I picked him up and started pulling on it it came out of his rear end, about 1 foot of string toy that he ate!!! We were VERY lucky that it didn't lodge in him, he would've needed surgery or worse passed away like your little one, but my point is these things unfortunately do happen, we didn't see him eat it so there is no way you could have too.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so so sorry this tragic accident happened, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If any good can be seen at all in a tragedy like this, you have just performed it, you may have prevented another family from going through this pain by warning them of household dangers, you are doing a good deed in the middle of all this pain, he would be proud of you, and i thank you too.
Yes-after i read this thread yesterday i went through the house and made sure theres no little things she mighy play with that she shouldnt. *hugs*

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Damien, dream you deep. You walk in your family's heart forever.

I am so so sorry you lost your furbaby in such a devastating way. I know you adored your boy, and would have protected him from anything in this world. Cats are masters at finding things they shouldn't have, and there is no such thing as "watchful enough." You did nothing for which to blame yourself. You loved him, cared for him, held him. You did so many things JUST RIGHT. And he knows. He knows he was and is and always will be loved. Love does not die, you know. It changes form and continues on, still Love. Damien is just a thought away, loving all of you still and forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We laid Damien to rest yesterday at the bottom of our garden, near the conifer tree he always loved to hide in, he was always happy in that tree. I had wanted to have his body cremated so I could have his ashes but we just couldn't afford it, so a little memorial garden will be just as nice.
Lucifer and pagan have been wandering around the house calling for him, they miss him I think, I speak his name often to them and they purr and knead on his blanket. :sniffle:
Scarlett and willow have just been playing with little Jasper, who never really got to know Damien, it's like they are using Jasper to replace Damien, but they don't seem to miss him, maybe a good thing.
I miss my boy:(