Our sweet Palermo

lawrence38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We only had Palermo for 3 years that felt both long and short, definitely too short in terms of her life, but certainly a fulfiled one. She and her sister Corleone were just a few weeks when we found them in a ditch, and having taken them in, although we never planned to adopt a pet due to travel commitments, we simply could not give them away once we fell in love with them.
Palermo was essentially the sweetest, most gentle cat I've ever had the chance to be around, she had a kind of personality and loving gaze that truly transcended what some define as a "pet" or "animal". Myself, and my wife especially spent plenty of moments, hours of peaceful joy in her presence.

Although she was also playful as her sister, it seemed by far the most favorite thing in the world for her would be to sit on our lap and be petted. In fact, almost every weekday before I left work and was usually in a bit of a rush to get ready, she would always wake up with me and sort of follow me around and demand to give her a few pets to start her day, and as soon as I would try to sit on the chair for breakfast, it was guaranteed she would jump on my lap and sprinkle few hairs on my ironed trousers to last me throughout the day :petcat:.

It was extremely hard losing her, as it happened so fast, out of the blue, she developed a auto-immune response, still not clear why and how, which within 12 days after the first symptoms left her completely weak, not being able to eat or barely lap few drops of water. Probably what broke our hearts the most is also that we had a bit of a false hope, as the emergency vet hospital we took her for the last couple of days had said she has a fighting chance, and they only called us when she had already died, alone, in an oxygen chamber. Before we took her in, she hardly made any sounds, and the daily ritual of going to the vet and back for her treatment, she took all the pain and no doubt suffering, but that very last day when we dropped her to the hospital, the last minute of so of travel she cried and cried in a most heartbreaking way...as if she knew it was the last time when we'll see her alive.

We're still thinking a lot of her and what she meant for us, even though it's now been 10 months since her passing. Thank God that although her sister also seemed to suffer quite a bit the first few days, she rebounded and has been acting as invaluable support for my wife, who had also lost her father just few months before Palermo, which made the suffering so much harder. We have recently adopted a small kitty, her name is Sorellina, because we felt Corleone really needed to have someone to spend her seemingly endless supplies of energy, and despite our fears of not accepting a "stranger" cat, she has been remarkably accepting of her.

We will always love and miss Palermo and we are looking forward to seeing her again some day, and happy to carry her in our heart till then.

Palermo.jpg

Rest in peace sweet, gentle princess
Mar xx '16 - Apr. 24 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Palermo, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

SUCH a lovely girl she was, is, and will always be! And in That Place Where All Is Known, she blesses you for your care of her, and your love for her, and she sends her love, now translated and purified into Love, back to you, full measure, pressed down and overflowing. She is with you still, and will always be.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylvester and I are always sorry to see any kitty move on but when it is another Tuxedo we have even heavier hearts, but she is fine now, just fine, no more pain or suffering and when you meet again it will be just wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your hearts heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry that you lost Palermo at such a young age. It is a tragic loss for your family no doubt. She must have left big pawprints on the hearts of everyone around her that will never be forgotten!

It is just my opinion, but I believe you have done the best thing that you could possibly do to cope with her loss by adopting Sorellina. There are so, so very many cats and kittens that need a forever home, it seems to be the caring, wise and humane thing to do. May you, your wife, and your two fur babies have many happy, healthy years, and fond memories together.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Palermo's love being passed on to another little one is a great honor for her. To have her love mean enough to you to want to pass it on is heartwarming. Her love is spiritual, so eternal. She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. She did not die alone, she carried your love with her in her heart. I pray your memories will eventually bring you peace instead of pain. Do not let her death be more important than her life. Her life was so much more.
They were both brought into your life for a reason. It was meant to be that your life paths crossed. They needed you so much then, and you learned to love them and give them the home they wanted so very much. To have never met them at all would have been unthinkable. Though she now follows a new path, it will always parallel your own.
I wouldn't be surprised if you found a few of those hairs on your trousers for a while afterward. They sometimes leave us a reminder of themselves in subtle ways.
You gave her her world and she is at peace. In the words of someone else, "Do not cry because she left you, smile because she was there".......My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts, and how long it takes to heal a broken heart. May God bless you and your family for your big hearts.
RIP dear Palermo. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Good night, sleep tight, little Princess!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a tragedy that you lost your beautiful Palermo in such a tremendous and mysterious way, not even knowing why.
Though her life was short, I'm sure it was intense and above all dense with love, both given and received, and this is what will remain as a treasure, as a legacy. This is what will keep you company till when you meet her again, never to part.

Palermo also knew you were in pain and had so much love to give, so she led you to cross the path with Sorellina. Palermo will guide you in your life and will cast a ray of wonderful light along your path to prove you her love and gratitude.

RIP Palermo, help your sister Corleone and her new friend Sorellina from up there..

P.S.: May I ask you why you chose such names for them? They sound so much Italian ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawrence38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a tragedy that you lost your beautiful Palermo in such a tremendous and mysterious way, not even knowing why.
Though her life was short, I'm sure it was intense and above all dense with love, both given and received, and this is what will remain as a treasure, as a legacy. This is what will keep you company till when you meet her again, never to part.

Palermo also knew you were in pain and had so much love to give, so she led you to cross the path with Sorellina. Palermo will guide you in your life and will cast a ray of wonderful light along your path to prove you her love and gratitude.

RIP Palermo, help your sister Corleone and her new friend Sorellina from up there..

P.S.: May I ask you why you chose such names for them? They sound so much Italian ;)
Actually its sort of a silly reason, one of the nights before finding them abandoned in a sort of dry river bed while jogging, we were watching the Godfather movie with my wife, she loves Italian food as well, her original idea was to call them Spaghetti and Gnocchi but I felt it was a bit...much and not knowing for sure if they are boys of girls, we could not tell, we kind of assumed they were boys as the poor things must've been starving for days in that place, hiding under a big stone for some shade, they had this big head and smallish body, undernourished for sure (Cyprus where we were at the time gets very hot and even end of Apr. days like those can be "hot" by normal standards). Plus Corleone has been quite hilarious from the first day we met her, she has this sort of Butch personality, and even when so small and weak she was doing these funny bonking moves as if she was threatening us, hence why I thought of "Corleone", up to this day we use the saying, "Corleone is coming to make you an offer" :D

It was most appropriate as she is such a determined, stubborn little kitty, she "trained" us to pick her up and put her on top of cupboards she can't reach for example and many other crazy things she does, so she carries the name with pride.

Cyprus was also long time ago a colony of the Venetian Republic, there are still lotsa monuments and relics from that era in Cyprus, so, who knows, maybe they do have some Sicilian cat DNA.

So that's the story why we named the 2 beautiful girls Corleone and Palermo, and rest assured you are not the only one to wonder, vets we took them to both in Cyprus and here especially after we had moved had a laugh about it. We kept the name of the small kitty we adopted recently as Sorellina for the same reason, to sort of keep the Sicilian tradition going 🇮🇹

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So that's the story why we named the 2 beautiful girls Corleone and Palermo, and rest assured you are not the only one to wonder, vets we took them to both in Cyprus and here especially after we had moved had a laugh about it. We kept the name of the small kitty we adopted recently as Sorellina for the same reason, to sort of keep the Sicilian tradition going 🇮🇹
Just curious, because I'm Italian, that's all ;)
Thanks for sharing this beautiful story with us.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Palermo. Yes , three years is way too short , but they were good happy years. You saved her and her sweet sister and gave them both a beautiful life. Palermo was always be grateful to you for that , for giving her a life that she never would have had if you never saved her. She had to leave you , but left behind her beautiful sister for you to continue to love and also the new little kitty. It is an honor to her that you are giving another poor kitty a good life and a home where she will be cherished and loved. That is the greatest honor you could give to your precious Palermo. She will always be watching over all of you and smiling.
RIP Sweet Palermo!
May you always feel the love your family holds in their hearts for you.
You will be missed always!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for appreciating my sweet Lola in the profile picture.
She's an angel at the Bridge now, I'm sure she welcomed your beautiful Palermo.
She's gone nearly 3 years ago, I'm still crying and in pain.
Antonio , I am so truly sorry that you are still in so much pain over the loss of your sweet Lola. I know they say it gets easier , but I have never felt that.
My Mickey is gone over five years now and I still find myself in pain and crying over his loss. Your Lola was a beautiful and special kitty and you will always feel her loss.
I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your pain.
I feel that pain also and my heart hurts along with you.