Our new kitten...

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I post here infrequently about my two adult cats, Kimmy and Galahad. Never thought there would be a baby in the house, but here we are...

Yesterday morning as I left for work, I heard a very loud noise coming from my truck. I checked everywhere, but I couldn't find the source. Finally, I popped the hood and saw this little guy tangled up in the engine, scared to death! I got under the truck and freed him, and then he scurried down - and climbed right back up and got tangled again! Oh, boy. I got him out again and brought him in - I named him Dakota (after the truck). I am 99% sure he is a boy, but just in case - the name is androgynous!

He is a little cutie and very, very vocal. So far he is eating kibble, some wet food, and drinking water. Some people told me he was old enough to eat food and not KMR. I weighed myself and then held him and weighed again - did that a couple times and, using that method, he's roughly 2.4 lbs. Not sure how accurate this is...wish I had a kitchen scale.

My little guy likes to run around and is cautious about Kimmy and Galahad. They both were not too fond of him at first, but Galahad has seemingly warmed up to him just a little. Kimmy is not a fan, but I hope that changes!

Here are some pics! I am a newbie to the kitten world - as far as I know, this may be the first home he has ever had. I want to make sure he's treated right.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I should note he has peed at lease once...on a towel. ;) As soon as he did, we took him to the litter box and I pawed at the sand and let him do the same. I found some smaller than usual poops in their too, but I can't tell which cat left them. I cannot say for sure if he has pooped yet since he came in!

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, minutes after making this post we found a little surprise on the couch. :)

Same thing as the pee, I moved the poo to the litter box and showed him how to bury it. Any tips for litter training much appreciated!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, minutes after making this post we found a little surprise on the couch. :)

Same thing as the pee, I moved the poo to the litter box and showed him how to bury it. Any tips for litter training much appreciated!
I would try just leaving a little bit of his poop in the litter so he knows that's his toilet it doesn't have to be on show he will be able to smell it good luck.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I post here infrequently about my two adult cats, Kimmy and Galahad. Never thought there would be a baby in the house, but here we are...

Yesterday morning as I left for work, I heard a very loud noise coming from my truck. I checked everywhere, but I couldn't find the source. Finally, I popped the hood and saw this little guy tangled up in the engine, scared to death! I got under the truck and freed him, and then he scurried down - and climbed right back up and got tangled again! Oh, boy. I got him out again and brought him in - I named him Dakota (after the truck). I am 99% sure he is a boy, but just in case - the name is androgynous!

He is a little cutie and very, very vocal. So far he is eating kibble, some wet food, and drinking water. Some people told me he was old enough to eat food and not KMR. I weighed myself and then held him and weighed again - did that a couple times and, using that method, he's roughly 2.4 lbs. Not sure how accurate this is...wish I had a kitchen scale.

My little guy likes to run around and is cautious about Kimmy and Galahad. They both were not too fond of him at first, but Galahad has seemingly warmed up to him just a little. Kimmy is not a fan, but I hope that changes!

Here are some pics! I am a newbie to the kitten world - as far as I know, this may be the first home he has ever had. I want to make sure he's treated right.
Oh how gorgeous - congrats on being a new kitten mama ❤❤❤

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a little girl to me, but I have been wrong before! You are an angel to have taken him/her in, bless you. She most likely got separated from her family or her mother got killed and she was seeking help. Since she is most likely a kitten born to a stray and not used to a litter box, I would place her there after every meal and frequently until she gets the hang of it. If it isn't working she could be confined to a small room like a bathroom or utility room with a litterbox until she learns. Taking her out frequently so she doesn't get lonely. she looks about 8-10 weeks old and would benefit from some goats milk, or lactose-free milk. Most cats develop intolerance to cow's milk at a young age. Your mature female will act as a mother surrogate over time, they are not as fond of changes and new family members as males so it will take a while. Growls, hisses, swatting, and pinning to the ground will be perfectly normal, and frankly, the kitten will need it. Kittens are nothing but pure energy and activity and sleep just as hard. You will busy! All the luck, and thank you again.....

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with di and bob di and bob that it looks like a girl. But being that small, the nutsack isn't as predominant. The lady I got my kittens from said they were both girls. I quick check of the back end and I was like, "Ummm, I don't think so." :lol: I also agree that keeping the kitten confined to a small room with a litter box and food will help with the litter training. At that age, they may not be able to seek out the proper place to go so they use where is available. Once he/she gets the hang of it, you can start moving the box out little by little until you get it to where you want it. You could also place different litter boxes around so there is always one available if needed no matter where he/she goes.

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, good news! I was up all night with the baby waiting for her to “have to go.” I kept placing him/her in the litter box, and they kept hopping out! Finally, I buried a piece of poo with my hand to model for them...and they looked at me like “Ooooh!” And they pooped in the box! When I got up this morning, she was peeing in the box! So happy...and hope this lasts!

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone else able to weigh in on the gender? Opinion is 50/50 on boy or girl.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like a girl to me too, that's my vote :) Another pic could help us too. Maybe one from a more straight- on angle.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always recommend young kittens in a sanctuary room first, it helps with the training and only letting them out in the house unless being monitored. They have small brains so small memories. Otherwise you will need to have litter boxes out in the living room as well around the house. I do think its a girl to.