Our Kitty Was Attacked, Fractured Lower Jaw And Head Trauma. Need Advice

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Matt79 - just to wish you both the very best as you go through this and a warm welcome to the forum, too!

You know your setup there best and can best judge where she'll be the most comfortable. The least amount of stress and anxiety will speed her healing, and you're in the position to optimize that.

I'll just mention what's been an unease for me from the moment I read that she's in a garage - and, remember, I have no sense whatsoever of the 'landscape' there - my worry goes to any potential for her to get outside (i.e. as you enter/exit). So, if there's any extra precautions you're able to take....even, perhaps, if you believe she's totally safe, then I'd strongly encourage you to take those extra (maybe superfluous) steps to ensure she doesn't stray. That would be disastrous.

Someone suggested that, if the meloxicam doesn't appear to be 'cutting it' that you ask for 'tramadol'. Now, that's an opioid, a plus, but it's a horrid-tasting tablet - so, given her oral injuries, I don't see that being a viable add-on.

Modern pain relief is often managed with a combination of drugs, each targeting a different pain pathway. Here's a post I made to someone else explaining that: Multi-modal Pain Management One of the advantages is that the amounts of each drug can be reduced.

Buprenorphine might be a viable option - it's very effective in cats. Someone here has had it compounded into a cream/ointment that can be used transdermaly, just a dab on an ear lobe.

Anyways, if the meloxicam is keeping her comfortable (and, it sure looks that way), best to leave well enough alone. That info may be useful down the road or in another situation, though.

We'll stay tuned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matt79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Matt79 - just to wish you both the very best as you go through this and a warm welcome to the forum, too!

You know your setup there best and can best judge where she'll be the most comfortable. The least amount of stress and anxiety will speed her healing, and you're in the position to optimize that.

I'll just mention what's been an unease for me from the moment I read that she's in a garage - and, remember, I have no sense whatsoever of the 'landscape' there - my worry goes to any potential for her to get outside (i.e. as you enter/exit). So, if there's any extra precautions you're able to take....even, perhaps, if you believe she's totally safe, then I'd strongly encourage you to take those extra (maybe superfluous) steps to ensure she doesn't stray. That would be disastrous.

Someone suggested that, if the meloxicam doesn't appear to be 'cutting it' that you ask for 'tramadol'. Now, that's an opioid, a plus, but it's a horrid-tasting tablet - so, given her oral injuries, I don't see that being a viable add-on.

Modern pain relief is often managed with a combination of drugs, each targeting a different pain pathway. Here's a post I made to someone else explaining that: Multi-modal Pain Management One of the advantages is that the amounts of each drug can be reduced.

Buprenorphine might be a viable option - it's very effective in cats. Someone here has had it compounded into a cream/ointment that can be used transdermaly, just a dab on an ear lobe.

Anyways, if the meloxicam is keeping her comfortable (and, it sure looks that way), best to leave well enough alone. That info may be useful down the road or in another situation, though.

We'll stay tuned.
She is in a garage , but it's a partitioned garage. She has her own section , and she is familiar with it as that's where she is every winter ( I live in Northern MN ) although it's floor heat , it does get to 50* in there at times , but if anyone here is from Minnesota, they know 50 ABOVE zero is tropical in January :blush:

The partition she has is about 1/3 of the garage, All to herself. Which is about 500 sq ft with a window

And also , thank you so much for the pain medication recommendation I will soak all of this in and save it for the vet on Monday! I bet she can't wait to hear from the guy who's now an internet veterinarian over the weekend :D

Matt79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That little tongue just got me. As you might guess, looking to the left of this post, I'm a fool for a tortie. I'm SO glad she's doing better now, and keep us updated!
She tries sooooo hard to lick , but then just ends up snorting and hacking. So cute, but heartbreaking at the same time

I will definitely keep everyone updated!! By the time she's healed you will all be sock of me :grouphug2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No way we will be sick of you. NO WAY! This is what we do. We love cats, and ANY cat in need is "our" cat. .

Do talk with your vet. If she's one of the really good ones, she will welcome questions, and respect you for trying to be proactive...even if she disagrees.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Chakita looks really comfortable there, so probably no need for any add-ons. "If it ain't broken....."

Sorry you had to do all that s'plainen about her suite - I wasn't second-guessing you, really just easing my mind by way of putting it out there.

Matt79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Chakita looks really comfortable there, so probably no need for any add-ons. "If it ain't broken....."

Sorry you had to do all that s'plainen about her suite - I wasn't second-guessing you, really just easing my mind by way of putting it out there.
Absolutely no worries. Love talking to you people, as you make it so easy to vent while giving me amazing answers.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She certainly looks like she appreciates your touch in that video. She must be very happy to be back with you. That love from you will go along way to help her heal.

I am so sorry she got hurt. She CAN adapt to being an indoor cat. I had a tortie once that could have been her twin, and I was able to turn her from an outdoor only cat to an indoor cat. I'm wishing the best for both of you. You are now part of our TCS family.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just found this thread and would like to extend my complete support. My very best wishes for Chakita to heal and make a full recovery. :vibes::vibes:
Sending special thoughts to you and your Tortie girl. :lovecat:

ETA: Being a midwesterner myself I fully understand 50 F in January being a tropical temperature. :lol2:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Chakita, in the video she looks like a sweet cat :( she looks like she has healed well which is a very good sign. If this was a person who did this to her intentionally i would be keeping her indoors, cause the moron who did this to her will see her ouside again, and do something else. There are mentaly sick people out there who enjoy hurting animals like that and even worse from what i have seen. i hope chakita recovers fully. all the best to you both