Our fixed male is attacking our babysitters

rawveganwurzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What steps can we take other than crating to prevent this behavior ? He left deep puncture wounds in her legs last night .

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Please explain the situation leading up to the attack---also, is he a young fixed male, or an older one???

Do you have a new baby that is being babysat, or older children---just wondering is this the first experience he has had with a babysitter or visitor in your home??

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have given way too little info. Does the sitter like cats? If she likes cats does she possibly have one of her own (or even another animal at all) that your cat smells on her? Does your cat act like this around other people or just her? You say babysitters, so does the cat attack all of them? Also just to be clear is this a babysitter for human kids? or someone taking care of the cat? If it's for the cat, I highly suggest finding a new sitter, you want one your cat likes.

If it's for kids then my suggestion would be to just put him in another room or crate, with food, water, toys, litter box, etc. while she is there. Have people that come to babysit give him high value treats (something he really likes but doesn't get normally) but no touching, basically come in give treat, then leave him. Over time he should learn that the sitter means he gets a treat. Or depending on if you cat is more toy motivated, get a toy he really likes, and he only gets that toy from the sitter when they come. You basically want him to associate someone new coming into his house with him getting something good.

Another thing to keep in mind, although I hate to have to bring it up and is unlikely if the cat is doing this to multiple people, is that pets can be protective of their owners. If the sitter is (or appears to the cat to be) hurting or being mean to the kids the cat may try to defend them.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
   I agree 100%  with all of the above that @Amethyst  wrote---especially the smell of another animal---and we all know how they love to mark with their cheeks around our feet and legs.  Prime attack spot!

I also meant to ask---is he this way with any family members?  Or strictly just the babysitter?