Our first pregnant foster cat

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ugh, I know! I did not foresee her having more than 4! I never thought 7, she didn't look that big and I never felt more than 4 in her stomach. She is so happy and proud of her babies. 
Congratulations!  Our foster cat had 7 on Saturday too.  I swear they are more work than a newborn - I am exhausted.  

Your Mama sounds a lot like Panda behaviorally too - she doesn't maul me, but it's hit or miss whether or not I'm going to get purrs or hisses when I go in the room.  And for the first 2 days every time I removed babies to supplement I would come back and the whole litter would have been moved!.  We eventually took all the furniture  that she could get behind or under out of the room - except for several different nesting boxes so she couldn't hide them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Congratulations!  Our foster cat had 7 on Saturday too.  I swear they are more work than a newborn - I am exhausted.  

Your Mama sounds a lot like Panda behaviorally too - she doesn't maul me, but it's hit or miss whether or not I'm going to get purrs or hisses when I go in the room.  And for the first 2 days every time I removed babies to supplement I would come back and the whole litter would have been moved!.  We eventually took all the furniture  that she could get behind or under out of the room - except for several different nesting boxes so she couldn't hide them.
Thank you, Mfair, and congrats to you as well! You're lucky mama lets you near without attacking. I almost needed stitches this morning from the gashes she left in my leg :( .... She has started to move babies when I try to rotate the big ones out, or even grab them to weigh them. So I blocked off the areas and am hoping the best at this point!

sarthur2: Things are going OK. We moved mama from the bathroom into our office. A bigger space in the hopes that she doesn't feel that we are always coming in to see the babies. She attacked me really bad this morning when I was trying to rotate some big babies out. I am at the point now that I don't think it is worth the stress on her if I am rotating her kittens. I supplemented one kitten this morning with nearly 1mL because I had the chance. He was born the largest at 113 grams but has gained only 3 grams every day, still not the smallest kitten of the group by total weight though. I was just concerned that he was only gaining 3 grams. Is it OK to let them be and not supplement so long as no one is falling behind? Everyone else has been gaining nicely and sort of "catching up." 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd rather you supplement whoever needs it in front of mom rather than rotate babies since it's upsetting her so much. I don't want you getting scratched any more! She can't help it - she's hormonal and it's instinctive to protect her babies.

So keep weighing and supplementing the ones who are not gaining enough. With 7, small gains are going to happen because there's not enough to go around. But they need more food. Is she okay with you supplementing?

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd rather you supplement whoever needs it in front of mom rather than rotate babies since it's upsetting her so much. I don't want you getting scratched any more! She can't help it - she's hormonal and it's instinctive to protect her babies.

So keep weighing and supplementing the ones who are not gaining enough. With 7, small gains are going to happen because there's not enough to go around. But they need more food. Is she okay with you supplementing?
She's not okay with anything I do to her babies. If I even come into the room, she is on high alert. There is only that one baby that has not gained as many grams per day as the others. I am praying I don't need to step in at all because I can't even trust her anymore. She is too quick to even prepare for an attack! 

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd back off for the day. Only enter to feed her. Maybe give treats when she's behaving. Talk to her while you're in the room, but don't touch or even appear to notice the kittens. If they're all gaining and doing okay without much help from you, give her a day to calm down? I'm sorry. I really don't know what can be done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Mom needs a break. Just keep an eye on the little one for now. Hopefully mom will chill out soon!

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone!! The advice and encouragement helps me more than you know! I feel so bad for her, I wish she knew we were just trying to help her out. I will let her rest for today and hopefully she will ease up soon. She purrs when I talk to her and even seems like she wants to love me, but is so unsure!! Maybe once the kittens are older and she see's them being friendly to us she will learn that we are OK! Thanks again! I will keep you updated. 

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update! I was able to weigh all kittens while mom ate her wet food. ALL have gained at least 9 grams! I am so relieved. Mama cat seems happier now that I have let her settle down. She is still very protective when we are near her babies so we are only handling them while she is busy eating and only when necessary (weighing every night) :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's wonderful! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One question....do the kittens need a heat source when mama is out of the nest? Sometimes when I peek in on her she is outside of the nest laying down. Is this OK? I have felt the kittens and they seem OK, huddled in a group together.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a heating pad in there the entire time and they're usually huddled on the other side. I don't think they need it, but I'm also keeping the room at 77 degrees. If they're not crying and sleeping okay, and not getting a draft from a window or fan, they're probably okay. Can try offering a rice sock and see if they like it?

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again!
Jingles kittens are now 18 days old! Everyone is doing great except the one female. She gained only 4 grams yesterday and lost 2 today, she weighs 312 grams. I stepped in and just fed her 8.5 mL's. She took to the syringe very quickly and lapped up every drop I gave. I stopped at 8.5 because she seemed less interested. Am i doing everything OK? I read at this age she should be eating 55mL's a day split into 6 feedings.. so every four hours is sufficient for her? Thanks!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again!
Jingles kittens are now 18 days old! Everyone is doing great except the one female. She gained only 4 grams yesterday and lost 2 today, she weighs 312 grams. I stepped in and just fed her 8.5 mL's. She took to the syringe very quickly and lapped up every drop I gave. I stopped at 8.5 because she seemed less interested. Am i doing everything OK? I read at this age she should be eating 55mL's a day split into 6 feedings.. so every four hours is sufficient for her? Thanks!!
My math could be wrong, but I think she needs more like 90ml a day. It's 8ml per ounce. Since she's been losing, I would feed her more frequently for now.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. I went back and offered her more, she only took an additional 2.5mL's and then fell asleep so I put her back with mom and she started to nurse. Should I assume she will need to be fed in four hours, or should I weigh her first to see if she has eaten on her own??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would try to feed her again. This way you know she's getting what she needs, even if she also nurses mom. The fact she took the syringe so easily tells me she was very hungry.