Our first pregnant foster cat

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!!
We (My husband and I) recently rescued a stray female roaming our property. Turns out, we think she is quite pregnant. We originally saw her about six weeks ago with four tom cats following her, multiple attempts to trap her at that time with no luck. We are seasoned kitten fosters for a local rescue but have never cared for kittens under three weeks of age, or a pregnant mama cat. We have had no luck with securing help from any rescues around us, so we are doing this rescue on our own :paranoid: ..
Just looking for a place to come once she is in labor if I happen to have any pressing concerns. I will attach some pictures for you to see our pretty mama. Her belly pokes out on each side, more so on her right, and her nipples are enlarged and pink. Yesterday was the first day I could feel tiny movements in her belly, right near her rib cage and only in that one spot. Any advice for this journey is much appreciated, and any guesses on how far along she may be as well :clap:

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping her! Moms usually deliver within 2-3 weeks after you first feel movement. Now would be a good time to stock up on a few kitten essentials, which I'm sure you have experience with - a small scale for weighing them daily, some kmr (powdered bg PetAg is best), and a needleless syringe in case you need to supplement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the advice! I am hoping it is a smooth journey for us all :)

kcid629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in the same boat as you! I took in a pregnant mama cat about 3 weeks ago. I have no idea on how far along she is or her history! How is your mama cat doing?

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am in the same boat as you! I took in a pregnant mama cat about 3 weeks ago. I have no idea on how far along she is or her history! How is your mama cat doing?
Hey kcid629! Our mama (we named "Jingles" because we could hear her collar jingle when she would come by the house) is doing really well! She has such a big appetite right now, her belly is getting pretty big! She is very moody and unpredictable, I am hoping it is just the pregnancy hormones and not her "catitude."  She will turn around and bite you even if she is purring. Ugh! I was guessing she was around 8 weeks now but we found her in our bath tub nesting tonight - hasn't done that before. Her mammary glands feel fuller so I am hoping it is sooner rather than later. What does your mama kitty look like? Does she look pregnant yet? We took in Jingles 2 weeks ago and she was already very round 

kcid629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 4 year old named her Bella but I've just been calling her Mama. She was very round when we took her in as well! I actually just noticed movement from her stomach, she has long fur around her abdomen so it's hard to see and she normally lays in a position in which you can't see. She's very moody as well, she won't let me touch her stomach at all! It could be because she's pregnant or it could be her personality, I guess we'll find out! I can't wait for the babies to be here! You'll have to keep us updated on Jingles!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's a beautiful girl. Thank you for rescuing her. If she's given birth before it will be natural for her, but we have several threads and articles for pregnant cats and babies.

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

View media item 212113How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful girl. Thank you for rescuing her. If she's given birth before it will be natural for her, but we have several threads and articles for pregnant cats and babies.

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns
View media item 212113How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?
Cat Pregnancy
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth
Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!
Premature Kittens
Post-Birth Complications in Cats
Thank you so much for all of the information! We are still on kitten watch. I think this Friday will make her nine weeks pregnant. Her nipples have been really dry, I applied organic coconut oil (she actually enjoyed it, normally wont let me near her belly) how often can I apply the coconut oil?

persian2momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, welcome to the rescue club!! :wavey:I have a Momma who ended up being PG. she kept getting bigger, cudnt tell when she wud give birth? I can say, get a big box, put a heating pad in 1/2 of it, and keep WASHED CLEAN, warm blankets in the box. Our new momma gave birth at night all over the fam room downstairs. I didn't have the heat up, when we got up to check her, (she had 9!!!, but one passed cuz it was too cold) we warmed up others, then put them in the birthing box we made. Now all 8 are doing good, & even gaining weight. Have on hand some eye cream from Vet (eythamyacin), and some kitty formula and a syringe, in case you need it. IF YOU EVER HAVE TO CLEAN YUKKY EYES, USE COTTON BALLS, DIFFERENT ONE FOR EACH EYE, as well as different one to dry. (Use warm water) purel yur hands between eye cleaning, & kittens... We have 8 kittens 13 days old, and only the striped ones have gunky eyes... The black ones are all great (3).:wavey: keep us posted, we just went thru this, and I freaked-out several times, if I can do that for you , & make your rd go smoother, I'm glad to do it!! I think I can answer any new kitten question, now! TA-da!! NOT!! But, I can help!;). Blessings, praying..

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice persian2momma! I swear, the stray cats around here talk to each other and tell them to show up at my house! :lol3:

Does anyone want to give me an idea of how far along she may be? I will attach a picture of her the day we rescued her. It was three weeks ago and her belly was already round. More so on the right side. I was thinking she was six weeks pregnant in this picture simply because she was showing. That would make her nine weeks this Friday but she is showing no signs of oncoming babies. Am I on track??

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember when you saw the kittens moving?  She will give birth  2- 3 weeks after wards.  So she could give birth any day now.

Does she have milk in? It can come in up to a week or just after delivering.  - So helpful .

The kittens will 'drop' into the birth canal within 24 hours of birth.  the cat may look slimmer but if the kittens are really large or many you may not notice this.

Within the last 48 hours she can lose her mucus plug, how ever some cats lose it over the span of a few days.

Also in the category of just before giving birth she may or may not have lost of loose stool, become affectionate and want belly rubs and lose her appetite.

Early/1st stage of labor you will see heavy breathing and rippling of the stomach.  This can last up to 24 hours.  She can also have braxton hicks type contractions off and on for a couple of days.

She won't go into the nest until right before she delivers. so it will be clean and flea free.

As @talkingpeanut says "There is no 'always' with cats"  Welcome to the waiting game.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Handsome Kitty, I felt bubble-like sensations in her belly when we first rescued her...does that count as true movement? If not, it was a week ago that I was able to feel actual body parts moving around. She is very protective of her stomach so it is hard to get a good feel. She has been hiding behind the toilet today (we have her set up in a spare bathroom) and while I was in there a few minutes ago, I actually saw a ton of movement in her stomach. I had never observed this before!

She doesnt have milk in yet but her mammary glands feel fuller this week.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea about the bubble sensations.  It could be why they say 2 -3 weeks, since you felt them a week before seeing movement.  Either way you have at least a week to go. 

Some cats like to be in cooler places near the end.  Can't get much cool than under the toilet tank
.  She should be more social right before she gives birth and may want you with her for comfort.

Make sure she has lots of fresh water and wet and dry kitten food to eat.  She needs the calories.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update: she has been meowing for me throughout the day. Not sure if she is just getting used to me now or if this is pregnancy related. She also seems to be grooming off the hair around her nipples.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we are still on kitten watch. Poor Jingles is just so uncomfortable but has been rolling over insisting on belly rubs, so out of her character. She looks huge but I know she is not nearly as big as some mama kitties get. Her belly has felt more hard to me the past few days. I am so ready for some fuzz balls to arrive! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everyone is ready! Belly rubs are definitely helpful to mom. Has she shown interest in any location for nesting?

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everyone is ready! Belly rubs are definitely helpful to mom. Has she shown interest in any location for nesting?
Oh yes, she likes the coolness of the bathtub so we put lots of blankets in there and left a little spot bare so she can cool off. She spends almost all of her time in there - we have a webcam set up so we can spy on her