Our Elephant Calf is Dying

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little boy. RIP baby 😔😔
Mom (Rani) is still grieving but getting comfort from the other elephants as well as the zoo staff. I'm sure she knew he was ill when he was born. Animals know that kind of thing. And at least he knew he was loved the 27 days of his life.

What I'm mostly curious about though is this disease that's killing off the wild elephants. Hundreds a day.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but since you said the father was like this when he was little, is there any possibility the defect is being passed on?

I really do hate to say this as (as I mentioned before) an elephant is such a big deal. It's not just, well, can we get another male, because the answer may be no.

But I would be looking to see if there's any kind of genetic test they can do to find out if this will just continue to happen over and over. You may not have a better option but at least you would know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought he was but after more research he wasn’t. He was healthy. He didn’t eat a lot but he had no birth defects and after 2 or 3 feedings by staff Raja fed from Pearl. Avi couln’t.

And I can’t do the test. I am not a caretaker at the zoo. I’m sure the caretakers have thought of everything. St. Louis is known for having one of the best zoos in the country. Possibly 2nd in the world (behind the zoo in Australia run by The Irwins)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so sad. Baby elephants in the wild have a high mortality rate under normal circumstances, I didn't know about additional issues going on with them. That is what makes poaching in the wild so devastating. They have a long gestation period, then a high mortality rate among the calves then the calves that do survive stay with the mother for a long time.