Our daughter's first day of Grade 11 (pic)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see a tortie! 

I'm not familiar with the dispute, but man, regardless of who is right, that can't be good for the kids, who are supposed to be in school getting an education. 
 I hope it ends soon, poor kids.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the dispute either- but it seems to be about wages and such.  Teachers work hard.  And they aren't compensated very well for what they do (like a whole lot of other jobs).  And I understand.  

BUT- it's about the kids.  It looks like they have no clue when the strike will end.  How happy is everyone going to be when you have to make up that time and it runs into other holidays?  When we had a week and a half of snow days last year that nobody saw coming- parents (and teachers) were MAD that some school districts had school on Saturday- others made the day longer, some had vacation time taken away.  

They need to come to some sort of compromise.  

Is your daughter happy about the extra vacation time? Or is she over it too?  

Love the cat on the bed too 

Cheryl

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't the first time this has happened either right?  i think I remember you posting about it.  Or was that someone else?

Is there some sort of homeschooling that she can do at home for now?  She's getting so close to college age; it's awful that she has to lose class time over it!  And that they teach the kids that this is how to settle things. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My partner was in the education system before he retired. We went through two short-ish strikes, both not based on monetary issues. The students' year was not at risk. Also went through two elementary teachers strikes and had the kids out there on the picket line supporting the teachers. Again, these strikes were not based on monetary issues and the kids' year was not at risk. However, the BC teachers and the BC government have had all summer to work something out. I don't understand why the government is willing to pay everyone $40/day for childcare but not mandate the teachers back to work and force mediation. I think the government is worried it would lose the cost-of-living battle and then have all the other unions on their back about it. Used to be that the autoworkers unions were the most powerful, but now it is the teachers unions.

Grumble: the teachers didn't go on strike when I was a student on Vanlsle.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will always be pro-union and I support the teachers being able to get raises and such, just like anybody else. However, I find it frustrating that, while I received a 1% raise this year and considered myself lucky to get that, that's not the case with teachers. They tend to get considerably more than 1% and that's frustrating. And when they get their raises and perks, our property tax always increases to pay their salaries. So I can see this from both sides.

Ultimately, though, it's the students who suffer in the end. They have to make those days up somehow.

We have teachers from a couple different school districts that have been striking. In their defense, though, they have received no wage increases in about four years and have been working without contracts for that long. It's not just the teachers at fault; it's also the school boards. But it's the teachers who will get the blame.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I see a tortie! 
Yup that's her kitty Sparkle - they have grown up together, 11+ years so far. I didn't realize Sparkle was on the bed when I took the (bad Photobooth) picture.

They need to come to some sort of compromise.  

Is your daughter happy about the extra vacation time? Or is she over it too?  

Love the cat on the bed too 

Cheryl
Neither side will budge and the mediator they hired walked away, saying the sides are too far apart. The government said they won't legislate teachers back to work this time, it didn't work in the past. You'd think someone higher in government would step in but nobody wants to get their boots muddy.

Our daughter is not happy about it. She has a pretty heavy course load her Junior year, and this time next year she will be using those grades (if she has them) to apply for university. The work is going to have to be accelerated this year, it's going to be tough.

She has also been looking for a (first) job all summer, but we live in an area with many retirees and she's competing against them, and they have experience when she doesn't. Getting jobs is really tough for kids these days.

She is pretty deflated at this time.

This isn't the first time this has happened either right?  i think I remember you posting about it.  Or was that someone else?

Is there some sort of homeschooling that she can do at home for now?  She's getting so close to college age; it's awful that she has to lose class time over it!  And that they teach the kids that this is how to settle things. 
The issue has been going on for 12 years (our daughter's entire school career so far), but actually goes back decades. Unfreakingbelievable.

Yeah, in June some of the school kids staged their own "strike" outside of the schools when they shut down early. It didn't do anything, of course, but I guess they were desperate to show how they felt. The worst were the kids who graduated, the ceremonies had to be moved to another location and sponsored by the parents, teachers couldn't attend since they were striking.

Unfortunately, home schooling isn't going to get the grades and report cards she needs. And everyone else will be behind, too.

My partner was in the education system before he retired. We went through two short-ish strikes, both not based on monetary issues. The students' year was not at risk. Also went through two elementary teachers strikes and had the kids out there on the picket line supporting the teachers. Again, these strikes were not based on monetary issues and the kids' year was not at risk. However, the BC teachers and the BC government have had all summer to work something out. I don't understand why the government is willing to pay everyone $40/day for childcare but not mandate the teachers back to work and force mediation. I think the government is worried it would lose the cost-of-living battle and then have all the other unions on their back about it. Used to be that the autoworkers unions were the most powerful, but now it is the teachers unions.

Grumble: the teachers didn't go on strike when I was a student on Vanlsle.
The BC government "started it" but the union is a bully, too. They are both bullies and I'm tired of hearing "it's for the kids" and "kids first" makes me mad.

But thanks everyone for your comments!

Last edited:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They never even sent report cards out from last year?  Unbelievable!  I would be very ticked off too!  I hope for everyone's sake that both sides see just how stupid they're being.  

Cheryl

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like the schools are going to use the 3rd term report card grade as the final grade. That means the last term didn't matter at all, too bad if you worked really hard. Some parents are asking to borrow school books now, to help teach their kids, but the schools are saying no and telling parents to go to the public library.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!

I don't have kids so I don't really pay much attention to school related news, and while I knew there was some issue going on in BC, I didn't know much about it, or how bad it has gotten, until just now.

In the end, there are no winners.  Teachers are losing out on money that they won't recoup, and kids are losing out on education which they need, and will still need to makeup for during the school year so it doesn't affect their transcripts or grades.

Without a mediator or a mandate to return to work, this strike could go on forever because both sides have their heels dug in.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of recently graduated unemployed teachers. Get a group of kids together and all go in on the cost (if the $40/day does not apply to high school kids) and hire one as a tutor for half-days. Accelerated learning leaves a lot of kids behind.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-parents-are-taking-action-1.2755804?cmp=fbtl

I was just reading the news. This article confuses me.

A website set up to raise money for B.C. teachers during the ongoing province-wide strike has collected almost $3,000 in its first three days online.

The site, Families Funding Teachers, was set up by parents who say they are angry with the government's decision to compensate them during the teachers' dispute.

Kate Milberry, an East Vancouver mom with a PhD and a specialty in social media, says she helped create and launch the site on Labour Day after a lively Facebook discussion with her community.

She says she was incensed when she first heard of the government's $40-a-day compensation plan—believing that money should be going directly to teachers and education—and likened the payments to a pressure tactic.

"Receiving money from the government could be something that makes them [caregivers] feel better. It certainly could make their lives easier, and they might be more inclined to turn around and pressure teachers to go back to school," Milberry said.

The site is encouraging anyone and everyone — whether they have school-age children or not — to donate funds to the BCTF, and Milberry says the thousands of dollars that have come in is an encouraging response.
Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like the B.C. Government is giving all B.C. residents $40 per day while the teachers are on strike.

Why are people being given money?  And why are they angry at being given $1200 per month?    How is this payment to the B.C. citizens considered a pressure tactic?  I don't have kids, and even if I did, I sure wouldn't be upset about being handed an additional $1200 per month!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! This is just awful. :( I can not believe she hasn't gotten last year's report card and that they are going to pretty much wipe out the last term!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like the B.C. Government is giving all B.C. residents $40 per day while the teachers are on strike.

Why are people being given money?  And why are they angry at being given $1200 per month?    How is this payment to the B.C. citizens considered a pressure tactic?  I don't have kids, and even if I did, I sure wouldn't be upset about being handed an additional $1200 per month!
Parents of children 12 and under can sign up to receive $40 per day from the government. The Education Minister basically said kids 13 and over can take care of themselves while parents are at work, and can access the internet to keep up with their education.

Many feel it is a political move by the government to show they are "doing something" and also try to get parents on their side of the dispute. The program can cost up to $12M a day - the same cost for the public schools to be open for a day, for ALL grades. 

The money is free, to use as you wish, you don't have to use it for tutors or childcare. Many aren't buying into the "bribe," everyone wants their school-age kids in school. I'd sign up, though, if I could. 

It's very sad that the Grade 12 students are the ones who are really getting the shaft. 

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...rrupted-students-stressed-by-strike-1.1343829

Last edited:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter is a senior.  If we lived there we'd all be stresssed 
  Poor kids- I really hope it gets straightened out soon

Cheryl

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand a strike if they haven't been getting raises.

But if they did get a raise, even a small percentage, they should be happy. I didn't get a raise for 2 years now and I am not happy, but I am glad to have a job. Granted, I do not know WHY they're striking, so I really can't say much, except, I am sure a lot of graduates would be very happy to have their jobs!

Here on Long Island, many schools are not offering lunches. The students must bring their own in. Some schools will not offer vouchers for those who can't afford food either.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Parents of children 12 and under can sign up to receive $40 per day from the government. The Education Minister basically said kids 13 and over can take care of themselves while parents are at work, and can access the internet to keep up with their education.

Many feel it is a political move by the government to show they are "doing something" and also try to get parents on their side of the dispute. The program can cost up to $12M a day - the same cost for the public schools to be open for a day, for ALL grades. 

The money is free, to use as you wish, you don't have to use it for tutors or childcare. Many aren't buying into the "bribe," everyone wants their school-age kids in school. I'd sign up, though, if I could. 

It's very sad that the Grade 12 students are the ones who are really getting the shaft. 

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...rrupted-students-stressed-by-strike-1.1343829
Thanks for the explanation. Now the article makes more sense. Too bad the writer didn't take the time to do more investigating and tie things in to make a full story.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So the government is paying the families of students 12 and under $40 a day? But can't afford to pay the teachers? Somebody needs to get to the bargaining table. Union-busting is what they're trying to do. If the government has the money to pay families, then the government has the money to give the teachers a raise.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^IKR? 

BUT, on the flip side, the government has a problem with the teachers demanding an increase (wages and benefits) that is almost double of that given recently to other public sector employees. BC is not doing well, unemployment is high and for every $1.00 earned here, the debt owed is $1.50, yikes! And that is just personal debt and doesn't count the mortgage debt which is astronomical, people have borrowed their brains out buying over-priced houses (6 to 9 times that of income). And, we are already taxed to death here. 

In addition, the teachers want a $5K signing bonus. It is estimated that in BC, for every employed teacher, there are 4 qualified ones not employed, so why would you give a signing bonus? 

Teachers make a GOOD salary here, it's about double what I would make teaching in Texas.

http://www.bcpsea.bc.ca/bc-teachers/collective-agreements/teacher-salary-grids.aspx

Teachers also get tenure after 5 years. Sadly, we have encountered many tenured teachers who are coasting and not doing their job. When you have someone like this teaching your kid, you really wish they would step down and let someone with enthusiasm for the job come in.

Like Natalie_ca said, there are no winners in this situation. But definitely the losers are the kids.

Last edited: