Our cat just went for dental

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our adopted 8 years old cat just went to the vet for dental for the first time yesterday. It was supposedly to clean her tartar but when she was returned to us the vet has plucked out her 3 decayed teeth at the back. As we are first time pawrents, we were very worried for her. When she got back home, she hid underneath the bed for the longest time but still came out for a while when we took a brush and combed her. Initially she only ate one bite of her food and left it there for hours but she started slowly eating hours later. As they have already mentioned that she might not have the appetite to eat, so I am not very worried on this. Vet has told me that he is suspicious of some kidney issues my girl has had (not confirmed) due to her old age and told me to come back for her review a month later. I have noticed when she grumbles at me, she sounded different...maybe it’s just me...is it normal? What is to be done for her to make her feel comfortable? Should I not feed her dry food but wet food for the time being? Can I prevent her kidney issues? I’m very worried for her...it’s our first cat and we want her to live as long as possible comfortably.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're worried about her kidneys, the best thing you can do is transition her to an all wet food diet. Dry food is dehydrating. Kidneys have to work harder in a dehydrated cat.

Did she get an injection for pain management at the vet and did she come home with any pain medicine? If she did, give it without fail even if she doesn't look like she needs it. It's easier to stay ahead of pain than to catch up to it.

Cats are pretty resilient and she should be back to her normal self in a few days. Call the vet if her appetite hasn't returned in three days. Sometimes they are given a long lasting pain injection that makes them loopy for as much as three days. You don't want her to go without food much longer than that though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet has always removed decayed teeth if they were found during a procedure; it is better than sending her home and telling you to bring her back for more anesthesia at another time.

I would follow what daftcat75 daftcat75 suggests and was going to ask all the same questions if I had posted earlier. My cats have never bounced immediately back after a dental procedure and needed some time to recover. You may or may not want to give her human food, but Gerber's baby food meats are helpful in a pinch. Make sure that if you buy another brand there is nothing else added like flavorings of any kind.

8 is not old for a cat although many senior blood panels use 7 as a cut off age. Give your baby wet food, calm down from the dental procedure, and then pursue information about the condition of her kidneys with the vet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to take the dry food away today. Many cats barely chew their dry food before they swallow it. She'll manage if this is all she wants to eat. But over the long term, you will want to transition her first to timed meals if you're free feeding and then to more wet than dry until she's eating (almost) no dry food anymore. Some cat parents still leave a little dry out for overnight or daytime. But even for this, there are timed feeders that you can use with ice packs to put out meals when you aren't awake or home.