Our cat has sudden bald spot

ellaeunc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! question if this is something that I should be worried about on our cat 😥. I want to bring him to his vet ASAP but we cant bring him right now because of the surge in covid cases on our area. I noticed that he has this bald spot on January 19 at night when I was playing with him. It doesnt look like fleas plus he had treatment prevention for fleas. It was not there during the afternoon. Today, I noticed that there are slight scabbing on that spot. We thought that he just became irritated of his collar before that's why he scratched that spot so we removed it. He doesnt scratch it anymore after that. Beforehand, he used to groom that spot on his neck alot. I am worried is it something alarming for cats to have? I bought him an elizabeth collar too so he wouldnt scratch it anymore. Hope you could help me, thank you!
Picsart_22-01-22_05-25-35-045.jpg
Picsart_22-01-22_05-25-35-045.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Good that you are keeping a diary through pics! Keep it up. But, if he stopped scratching that area when you removed the collar, why use the E. collar now? If it is just a precaution, I wouldn't use it - that will allow more air to the spot for healing purposes. You'll just have to keep an eye on him to see if he continues to scratch that spot. You might also send pics to your vet to see what they might think/offer.

You can also try to use chamomile tea bags - any of the grocery store brands should do as they are almost always German (you don't want English, or any flavorings or additives). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and dab it on that area 2-3 times a day with cotton balls or a soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should he somehow ingest any of it. When doing this, don't try to remove the scabbing you see, it should come off on its own if he is healing.

If he goes outdoors, it might be best to keep him inside until you can tell what is happening with that spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellaeunc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for the response! It was very helpful and it eased my anxiety. I posted on some sites and they said it might be ringworm so I became really worried after that.

We were wary that he might scratch that spot that's why we put on his e.collar. We removed it after reading your reply since the spot already looks like it is healing and the fur on the spot is already growing. Also, thankfully he does not scratch it anymore during the previous days :hearthrob:

Thanks for the chamomile tea! I`ll try it once I get some of it and dab it on that spot. The scabs are slowly detaching/peeling so I think it looks better now. I hope it continues to heal in the next days. Oreo is an indoor cat so I think we are safe on that :catrub:

Here is how it looks like today, the scabs are more detached from him and slowly peeling off:
Thank you again!!
20220124_210937.jpg

Hi. Good that you are keeping a diary through pics! Keep it up. But, if he stopped scratching that area when you removed the collar, why use the E. collar now? If it is just a precaution, I wouldn't use it - that will allow more air to the spot for healing purposes. You'll just have to keep an eye on him to see if he continues to scratch that spot. You might also send pics to your vet to see what they might think/offer.

You can also try to use chamomile tea bags - any of the grocery store brands should do as they are almost always German (you don't want English, or any flavorings or additives). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and dab it on that area 2-3 times a day with cotton balls or a soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should he somehow ingest any of it. When doing this, don't try to remove the scabbing you see, it should come off on its own if he is healing.

If he goes outdoors, it might be best to keep him inside until you can tell what is happening with that spot.