Our cat can't meow properly

CarterUSM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Our cat Louie, a 12yo female, is seemingly unable to meow properly at the moment. Instead of the typical meow sound, she is currently only able to make a rather raspy, squeaky sound, and this has been ongoing for the last week or so. Otherwise, she appears to be perfectly healthy; she is eating and moving normally, is displaying no external signs of pain or illness. (We don’t think it’s laryngitis, having examined the various symptoms, but obviously don’t know this for certain). Unfortunately, she is very difficult to catch; she is resolutely an outdoor cat who refuses to come inside our house.

We have thought that the recent very hot weather may have been a factor (we live in Cyprus, where no appreciable rain falls between April and October), but our other cat has not experienced the same problem (although she is much more of an indoor cat than Louie).

Our veterinary clinic has advised us that they really need to examine her physically in order to make a proper diagnosis, but for reasons stated above this is not practical.

Would anyone be able to suggest any medication which may ease this condition, without requiring taking her to the vet for examination?

Very many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given the scenario, there is unfortunately nothing anyone on here can advise beyond she needs to see the vet. I do understand the outdoor status makes it challenging but without knowing what is causing it there really isn't anything anyone can advise. A change in sound could be sim0le aging or it could be something compressing the throat internally or it could be leftovers from an encounter with danger. There really are too many possibilities so that without actually looking and feeling it's impossible to guess what and advise. Really the only thing I have is offer more wet food for hydration in cade she's dehydrated.

Sorry it's not more but there really isn't much to go on.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, encourage drinking water and not let her meow toomuch. It may be just the way she sounds too, some cats with Siamese background (like all of mine) never sound 'normal'. I have one that sounds like a kawasaki reving up! Not one of them has a 'meow', they all sound strange.......

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had squeaky meows, and then he was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid. Once on medication his meows went back to normal. I'm not sure if the hyperthyroid is the issue or not.
But yes, I'd get her checked out by a vet

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was interested in this because cinnamon, one of my formerly outdoor cats also has almost no meow most of the time, or it is very gravelly. He can get louder when he plays with Zena etc. But sometimes when he meows to me no sound comes out.

I don’t know if this is a change or if he has always been this way. when I first brought him in for TNR, he did not meow at all. I’ve only ever heard him meow since he came inside to stay.

I hope you can get her to the Dvm and see if anything is wrong that might be causing that. Hopefully it is just dehydration.

My cats have had all different types of meows. Sometimes little chirrups and soft meows to the meezer loud meow, or to the traditional meezer type meow Quinn has. He has a very sing song meow, which can be very high-pitched or he often wails too carrying his toys around. When he was a kitten, he had the highest pitch little mew I’ve ever heard unfortunately I never got it on video. I’ll never forget when he learned how to go down stairs. He meowed for me to come and watch him.

Here are links about cat laryngitis and possible causes, as well as some treatments which include, steroids, diuretics, and humidity.

If she has a virus it would be a good idea to take her inside so she can recover.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One my mine had a number of episode of tonsillitis when she was a kitten and young cat. The only evidence she would have would have would be that her normal meow would turn soft and raspy. Just like a kid she would go onto antibiotics like amoxicillin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarterUSM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your replies.

The problem appears to have healed itself, and happily Louie has now got her meow back. Maybe it was just a temporary issue such as a sore throat, which of course we humans suffer from now and again!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your replies.

The problem appears to have healed itself, and happily Louie has now got her meow back. Maybe it was just a temporary issue such as a sore throat, which of course we humans suffer from now and again!
I'm glad it took care of itself! One of our cats gets a bit of this every now and then, too. A little slippery elm bark syrup helps soothe a throat. So does making sure she gets enough to eat -- she's not a food-driven cat (and also has a tendency to gets constipated, which affects her appetite) and we suspect she gets a little acid reflux at times.