Our Beloved Tarifa Has Ascended

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Tar as an 11 months kitten from a friend who did rescue/adoption shortly after losing a tiny angel to wet-form FIP. I was looking for a kitten who would roll with the punches of a multi-cat family. Right away, my friend said, "Torie!" which was her name with her. So I made an appointment to see her.
She wasn't really what I was thinking of. She was almost an adult, of full size. I'd never thought about a tortoiseshell before, as I don't think I'd ever met one. But I knew she came very highly recommended, and most importantly, I knew she needed a loving permanent home. I could give that.
So she came home with us. We bought a new activity center right around that time, with a hammock up top and sisal uprights and a couple of platforms. She took to it right away. In a small house with a lot of cats, she fit right in. There was no acclimation process, no being in a separate room for two weeks, no hissing, no fighting, no ANYTHING.
She was the perfect kitten.
She was the perfect addition to our family at a time when I was bowed down with grief. Amiable, friendly, sweet, playful and calm, she was truly a rare treasure.
She never had any health issues. Not one. A couple of weeks ago, she stopped eating very much. The right side of her face seemed swollen. I attributed this to an upper respiratory thing, like a cold. As a completely indoor, always healthy cat in a low-stress household, I prayed and hoped she would recuperate quickly.
She seemed to. Her appetite returned. Her hygienic habits were always impeccable, and remained so. She spent most of her time in the office with me. I missed her presence beside my feet at night, but I wanted her to choose where to be and what to do.
A few days ago, she moved from the office to the living room, at the other end of the house. It's a huge room with a step down. She navigated it well every time. I would come and get her, and she'd wake up and come out to eat in the breakfast room instead of in the office. She almost always finished every bit.
My roomie slept on the sofa at times, and she said Tar would climb up there and sleep right next to her.
Yesterday, her eye looked very strange, like she had cherry eye. It was tearing a lot. My attempt to clean was refused. It was obviously painful. Early this morning I made an appointment.
I thought it would be a URI that could be cured with antibiotics, maybe steroids as well for the inflammation.
It was not to be.
The doctor took a look at her and immediately asked to sedate her, saying he was sure it was a tumor in her mouth.
He said her eye was "gone" and that it was incurable.
I had to put her before me. I've been here so many, many times. It never gets easier.
She was 17 years, 11 months, and 6 days on this earth. Seventeen of those years were spent with me, in three different locations.
Elvis, who loved her dearly, and Baby Su, who, if she liked any cat, liked Tar, will miss her very much. My roomies are very, very sad.
A part of my soul goes with her.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry! Be it sudden or slow, it never matters in how much it hurts. I wish I had words to help you through this, but you are a strong person and I know you can find comfort in knowing she is not suffering and that you can be heartened by the fact that she feels young again, and that she is waiting for that day that she can share her renewal with you. I also know you are the type of person who will be able to remember all the wonderful times and years you and she had together even as you feel the sorrow you feel right now. RIP little Tar.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a shock. I didn’t expect it either so I can only imagine. My heart breaks with yours. I felt I knew Tarifa. I’m glad she spent some nights cuddled with your roomie.Those nights were a gift from Tar. She has been such an amazing kitty and important part of the family. You saved her and brought her to a home of pure love. As you know, that is the best any of us can ever have on this earth. Although I know your roomies are hit hard by this too, I’m glad they are there. You, Baby Su and Elvis will have some support. I know they understand the magnitude of this, as do I. On this day it is hard to find the words but I think you know that my thoughts and prayers are completly fixed on you and the others now. Tarifa has grown the most beautiful wings. Full of kittenish energy again, she soars. If she cannot be with us then we do know that we need all the angels we can get and she has joined the ranks of those who keep watch over you. She takes a part of all our hearts with her. Each one another feather in her wings to carry her higher. She will have the most beautiful view, the softest clouds and the best company to keep until we see her again. The hardest part for us is waiting but she will greet you again. I cannot take your pain but I definitely share it. I will be here. :grouphug2: We all will.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet friend, she had a very long and good life with you, and it sounds like she didn't have to suffer too long at the end but cats are masters at hiding pain, but as soon as you saw she was in peril you reacted but there was nothing that could've been done, but she had a wonderful life here with you and thankfully you took her when you did, who knows what would've happened to her if you didn't?

You will meet again one day and she will show you that she is just fine, and it will be wonderful.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tarifa, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

You have heard (seen) me say this over and over again, but...I do it because it is true. Seventeen wonderful years, but where there is love, an eternity together is not long enough, is it? And again, this is the deepest truth I know, that love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Tarifa's love for you is now translated and purified into Love, and remains by your side. Because Love abides, always, forever, Love abides. Though you will miss her physical presence so very much, reach out and her Love is there.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. :hugs: You are an amazing person, and i'm sure she had a wonderful life by your side. Your post made me tear up. Tar is resting peacefully now, and i'm sure she's taken many wonderful memories with her.

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted Tar as an 11 months kitten from a friend who did rescue/adoption shortly after losing a tiny angel to wet-form FIP. I was looking for a kitten who would roll with the punches of a multi-cat family. Right away, my friend said, "Torie!" which was her name with her. So I made an appointment to see her.
She wasn't really what I was thinking of. She was almost an adult, of full size. I'd never thought about a tortoiseshell before, as I don't think I'd ever met one. But I knew she came very highly recommended, and most importantly, I knew she needed a loving permanent home. I could give that.
So she came home with us. We bought a new activity center right around that time, with a hammock up top and sisal uprights and a couple of platforms. She took to it right away. In a small house with a lot of cats, she fit right in. There was no acclimation process, no being in a separate room for two weeks, no hissing, no fighting, no ANYTHING.
She was the perfect kitten.
She was the perfect addition to our family at a time when I was bowed down with grief. Amiable, friendly, sweet, playful and calm, she was truly a rare treasure.
She never had any health issues. Not one. A couple of weeks ago, she stopped eating very much. The right side of her face seemed swollen. I attributed this to an upper respiratory thing, like a cold. As a completely indoor, always healthy cat in a low-stress household, I prayed and hoped she would recuperate quickly.
She seemed to. Her appetite returned. Her hygienic habits were always impeccable, and remained so. She spent most of her time in the office with me. I missed her presence beside my feet at night, but I wanted her to choose where to be and what to do.
A few days ago, she moved from the office to the living room, at the other end of the house. It's a huge room with a step down. She navigated it well every time. I would come and get her, and she'd wake up and come out to eat in the breakfast room instead of in the office. She almost always finished every bit.
My roomie slept on the sofa at times, and she said Tar would climb up there and sleep right next to her.
Yesterday, her eye looked very strange, like she had cherry eye. It was tearing a lot. My attempt to clean was refused. It was obviously painful. Early this morning I made an appointment.
I thought it would be a URI that could be cured with antibiotics, maybe steroids as well for the inflammation.
It was not to be.
The doctor took a look at her and immediately asked to sedate her, saying he was sure it was a tumor in her mouth.
He said her eye was "gone" and that it was incurable.
I had to put her before me. I've been here so many, many times. It never gets easier.
She was 17 years, 11 months, and 6 days on this earth. Seventeen of those years were spent with me, in three different locations.
Elvis, who loved her dearly, and Baby Su, who, if she liked any cat, liked Tar, will miss her very much. My roomies are very, very sad.
A part of my soul goes with her.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , I am truly saddened by this heartbreaking news.

Tarifa, you came into your mom’s life when she needed you the most. You became her precious Tortoiseshell treasure. I am so glad you had Terasgirl06 as your mom for seventeen years, no one could love you more.
Run free and chase the butterflies and the birds, you little darling :redheartpump: .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave that little girl her everything, a home, and a family to love. You had seventeen years with her, a testament to your devotion and care. Her heart will always be tied to your own, love is spiritual, so eternal. She will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers.
To be remembered and mourned is an honor. She will live on through your memories now, and though her physical presence will be dearly missed, the love she leaves with you will help you through theses times of sorrow. My heart breaks for your pain. You are not alone in this, please let us share your pain to make the burden lighter. my thoughts and prayers are with you all, take care of yourself, your other little ones are grieving too.......RIP beautiful Tarifa. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this last night and it made me so sad that I couldn't even respond. I know you must be feeling it a billion times more than me. The loss of a cat is so hard to take, I don't know what to say. What could bring comfort? Sending hugs, love, & prayers is all I can think to do. Hope it helps a little. :hugs:❤🙏