Otoscope Speculum Size

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want/need to buy a basic otoscope to use on a colony of fairly friendly ferals/strays. Does anyone know what size speculum is typically used for a cat? Unfortunately, everything I've seen includes sizes for cats AND dogs. It doesn't say what size for a cat and what size for a dog. The size will make the difference between buying a human or veterinary otoscope.

All the cats have been treated for ear mites as a sample of wax I collected show a living ear mite under a microsope. I'm concerned though that they may have a secondary ear infection. While some may be friendly enough to let me look in their ears and medicate them, that doesn't necessarily mean they're friendly enough to take to the vet. As it is, the one I'm concerned about will not approach me and let me touch her unless I'm kneeling down inside the house at the sliding glass door. I'd have to trap her to take her to the vet's and then I'd lose all the trust and progress I've made with her. It's taken three years to get this far.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your veterinarian would be willing to provide that info. I'm impressed you are collecting more tools than I have, but we haven't had any mite issues since Tom's symptoms cleared up as a kitten after the shelter treated him, and no ear infections since my guinea pig in 2007.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought about emailing or calling the vet, but the receptionists and techs are the ones that always answer. They ALL seem to have a "chip on their shoulder" everytime I politely inquire about something that takes my business away from them. They refuse to answer anything, insisting the cat MUST be seen by a veterinarian. I don't understand it because the vet/owner is totally ok with me doing this type of thing with the cats.

Also, I'm kind of irked with the vet about a screw up relating to my diabetic cat. So I've been avoiding the vet clinic in general.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about emailing or calling the vet, but the receptionists and techs are the ones that always answer. They ALL seem to have a "chip on their shoulder" everytime I politely inquire about something that takes my business away from them. They refuse to answer anything, insisting the cat MUST be seen by a veterinarian. I don't understand it because the vet/owner is totally ok with me doing this type of thing with the cats.

Also, I'm kind of irked with the vet about a screw up relating to my diabetic cat. So I've been avoiding the vet clinic in general.
Would you be able to call them, and simply (and kind of bluntly) say you need the VET to call you back at their convenience?
If they won't work with you, shop around.