Other licensing questions

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mark, first of all, thank you so much for your time and for being willing to share your skill and experience with us.

It's clear from your introduction that you have a wealth of experience in animal control, education and welfare advocacy.

Based on your experiences, knowledge and research, if you have the time to address some general questions, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

In communities that require licensing, especially given low compliance in licensing pets, does it not make sense to include vets, breeders, and pet stores in the process? When I want to go fishing, I purchase a fishing license at a sporting goods store...

Along these same lines, never having adopted an animal from a shelter (just parks and my backyard
), I have no clue here, but do animals have to be licensed before they leave the shelters for their new home? Wouldn't it make sense to enable vets/shetlers &etc. to license the animals? Wouldn't that dramatically change the revenue generated by increasing compliance? And couldn't vets/shelters &etc. be incentivized by being able to keep some small percentage of the licensing fees?

I have many other questions, but think this is good for a start.....

Thanks,

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW, I'd love input from others as well. Especially those of you who rescue or work with rescue orgs... because one of the potential stumbling blocks in having vets become "watchdogs for licensing" is how it affects those who rescue. But perhaps this is also a method for not only increasing compliance with licensing laws, but for determing "owned" vs. "rescue" animals. Our vet sure knows which animals are our pets and which are ferals being brought in for medical attention, spay/neuter, vaccinations, etc. Perhaps this could be a way to help differentiate between "owned" and "unowned" animals?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets (not all) in our city offer city licenses for sale at their office for convenience. In my experience, I've usually had to ask about it, though. Most don't suggest it automatically, so I'm sure they're not policing it (at least I hope not
- we license our own pets, but not every foster that comes our way).

To my knowledge, the shelters here require licensing as part of the adoption fee if you live within city limits.

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by LDG
Mark, first of all, thank you so much for your time and for being willing to share your skill and experience with us.

It's clear from your introduction that you have a wealth of experience in animal control, education and welfare advocacy.

Based on your experiences, knowledge and research, if you have the time to address some general questions, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

In communities that require licensing, especially given low compliance in licensing pets, does it not make sense to include vets, breeders, and pet stores in the process? When I want to go fishing, I purchase a fishing license at a sporting goods store...

And Mark said....
It makes sense and some communties do have multiple license locations depending on the enabling laws. Our city has us, the SPCA, the City Treasurer, and several hardware stores. Having veterinarians, pet shops and others in the loop would make it easier to find a place to purchase a tag. Having a comprehensive public education program (ads at renewal time) along with a viable mail in renewal system can boost compliance.

Along these same lines, never having adopted an animal from a shelter (just parks and my backyard
), I have no clue here, but do animals have to be licensed before they leave the shelters for their new home? Wouldn't it make sense to enable vets/shetlers &etc. to license the animals? Wouldn't that dramatically change the revenue generated by increasing compliance? And couldn't vets/shelters &etc. be incentivized by being able to keep some small percentage of the licensing fees?

And Mark said....
Again, depends on where you live. In most localities a rabies vaccination is a prerequisite for a license and the majority of animal shelters do not have a licensed vet on staff to administer the shot. Most give 7-10 days to get a license and can follow up if desired. As for revenue, sure. The more locations, the less hassle, the better chance of compliance. Our city offers $1 of the $5-$25 fee to the vendor for each tag sold. Not SUPER lucrative but its at least something.

I have many other questions, but think this is good for a start.....

Thanks,

Laurie
You are quite welcome,
Mark

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by LDG
BTW, I'd love input from others as well. Especially those of you who rescue or work with rescue orgs... because one of the potential stumbling blocks in having vets become "watchdogs for licensing" is how it affects those who rescue. But perhaps this is also a method for not only increasing compliance with licensing laws, but for determing "owned" vs. "rescue" animals. Our vet sure knows which animals are our pets and which are ferals being brought in for medical attention, spay/neuter, vaccinations, etc. Perhaps this could be a way to help differentiate between "owned" and "unowned" animals?
Since the vets only make the licenses available, it would not be a case of policing. Our city has a law, which we have yet to enforce, that requires veterinarians to provide us with a list of rabies vaccinations given each month. Name, address, animal. Before anyone screams privacy - animal medical records are NOT confidential. Only human to human doctor (thats MD) are covered by this privilege. Pets do not enjoy this human right. With this list, we could greatly increase compliance with a simple, "Dear Owner of a recently vaccinated animal. Did you know that city licenses are required for ALL animals aged 4 months or older...." 10 days later, no license, we forward an invoice. I would agree that this is a little draconian but it if people complied voluntarily, it wouldn't be needed.

"Owned" vs. "unowned". You feed it, you allow it to remain on your property, you provide water or shelter, you take it to a vet and provide medical care - you have established ownership. Buy a license. There is no % of what is owned and unowned under most codes. For some locations (like NJ) even having animals on your property (whether you claim them or not) makes you liable both criminally and civilly for damages!

What is the difference between a "rescue" and an "owned" animal. As far as our code is concerned, you have 10 days license free. After that, its yours. Establish some type of registration that provides for limits on numbers, routine basic inspections, and a clearly defined operating requirements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you!

Mark, as you know, there are tens of millions of actually unowned animals in the U.S. In your experience and work in the area, does it seem feasible that there is someway for people who encounter these animals - whether its in an RV Park, small farms where people dump animals, urban alleyways - is there some way to structure local laws so that these animals can be cared for but not owned? Do you think it possible to legally create a difference between "caretaker" and "owner?" In the thread Katie started about Why the "R" in TNR = abandonment, we've asked very similar questions about legal definitions, but I guess this is what it boils down to. ?????

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by LDG
Thank you!

Mark, as you know, there are tens of millions of actually unowned animals in the U.S. In your experience and work in the area, does it seem feasible that there is someway for people who encounter these animals - whether its in an RV Park, small farms where people dump animals, urban alleyways - is there some way to structure local laws so that these animals can be cared for but not owned? Do you think it possible to legally create a difference between "caretaker" and "owner?" In the thread Katie started about Why the "R" in TNR = abandonment, we've asked very similar questions about legal definitions, but I guess this is what it boils down to. ?????
Yes. With a proper evaluation and criteria we can "define" anything!