Other cat behavior after lost cat returns.

Matsui55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Recently I added a 1 year old male cat to my household, which already has a 13 year old and 2 year old male. The idea was to have a playmate for the 2 year old - he was constantly asking me to play (I work from home).

The new cat (Boots) was feral for his first three months, then fostered for 5 prior to arriving here. He LOVES the other two cats. But he is 24/7 in their face. He and the 2 year old (Bo) did play, but also scrapped - it was the groom/bite/scrap things which I've researched and was fine with. They did seem to get along decent, but Bo did get annoyed with him (Boots CONSTANTLY does the aggressive head rub, it's like a spear, lol)

Last week, Boots darted out of the house and I couldn't get him back in, then lost him in the woods when a torrential rain started. I was able to successfully track him, then trap him 4 days later. He returned as if nothing happened.

Ever since that incident, Bo absolutely hates him. For the last five days, it hasn't subsided - Bo won't even tolerate Boots getting 5 feet from him - it's growling, lashing out etc. Bo now wants to go outside all day - just popping in to eat, growling, then demanding to go back out. He's lost his sweet disposition while in the house. Outside, he's the same cat.

I have ordered the Feliway multicat, but wanted to ask a specific question. Would getting them all groomed/cleaned possibly help? I'm wondering if Boots is carrying a smell that Bo finds unsettling. I know this sounds minor, but it's causing some stress in the house.

Thank you for your time if you read this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Before you go down the grooming path, try exchanging their scent with each other - rubbing towels on each and then the other. You can also use a brush on Bo and then on Boots for scent exchange. There is also another 'trick' recommended on this site that you might want to try if the scent exchange doesn't prove effective - using vanilla: Ode to vanilla extract.

Aren't you worried about Bo not coming back one of these times while he is outside? How frequently did he go out before this all happened? If it not common for him to be outside, I wouldn't let him. And, if the scent exchange doesn't work, you might have to consider doing introductions between the two. I've included an article about that, but also one on non-recognition aggression in case there is something suggested in it that might help.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matsui55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Before you go down the grooming path, try exchanging their scent with each other - rubbing towels on each and then the other. You can also use a brush on Bo and then on Boots for scent exchange. There is also another 'trick' recommended on this site that you might want to try if the scent exchange doesn't prove effective - using vanilla: Ode to vanilla extract.

Aren't you worried about Bo not coming back one of these times while he is outside? How frequently did he go out before this all happened? If it not common for him to be outside, I wouldn't let him. And, if the scent exchange doesn't work, you might have to consider doing introductions between the two. I've included an article about that, but also one on non-recognition aggression in case there is something suggested in it that might help.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Hondo/Bo have been indoor/outdoor their whole lives. I live on a small street / cul de sac with hardly any traffic. They both will come in when called, almost immediately. They generally roam within two houses and our front/back yard and visit the neighbors daily - they have treats for them, etc, and they have a dusk curfew. I know this is a passionate subject among cat owners too, so while I'm happy to make my case, I don't want to derail the topic.

The brushing idea is fantastic, and I will definitely check out the vanilla link and the introduction links. Thank you very much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bo now wants to go outside all day - just popping in to eat, growling, then demanding to go back out. He's lost his sweet disposition while in the house. Outside, he's the same cat.
Hondo/Bo have been indoor/outdoor their whole lives...I know this is a passionate subject among cat owners too, so while I'm happy to make my case, I don't want to derail the topic.
I only brought up the issue about Bo going outside because it seemed you were concerned by it. I thought it might have been a 'new thing' resulting from Boots' and Bo's incident. If he goes outside normally and isn't avoiding anyone by doing so now, then it's not necessarily part of the bigger problem you are trying to resolve.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matsui55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Feebys.

We have a diffuser going (Chewy delivered in one day....wow!). Tomorrow is vanilla day.

Haven't had a chance to try to brushing to transfer scent, but will try that tomorrow.

I really hope this works.

Thanks again.