OTC Food for Kidneys

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie just had his latest kidney test (BUN/creatinine) yesterday which we do on a regular basis. His BUN was 41, which was down from 42 and creatinine was normal, down from 2.2. The Renal Index, however, indicated kidney failure projected for the next 24 months. He is not diabetic or hyperthyridic. We are going to schedule an echocardiogram and xrays. Ultrasound done previously showed nothing significant.

So this is my question: I have studied Tanya's information, which is overwhelmingly impressive, and would like to know which of the non-prescription food was successful with their cats. I prefer that he eat wet, but if there are any thoughts on dry that will be appreciated as well. He rejected Science and Royal Canin already. Tanya has a massive lists of foods and I am just trying not to purchase one of each although it may come to that. I am not as concerned about cost if Jamie would eat the food; what bothers me is that it all goes to waste.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not in the least helping you with your specific question, but was wondering if you have feral cat caretakers in your immediate area that might be willing to accept the foods you try that Jamie just doesn't like. Most canned foods can be stored for a few days in the refrigerator, and some can even be frozen (obviously not in the original cans). Even more applicable to any dry food you would buy. The feral caretakers near me would be glad to take the food as many of them are paying for the food they give their colonies out of their own pocket. You could at least discuss the option with any of them you know and see if they would be receptive to the idea.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would highly recommend that you only feed wet food as kidney cats need as much hydration as possible. Since he is a candidate for kidney disease, might as well get an early start on that.

As far as the right food, anything he will eat. Since I've had three kidney cats, I learned early that what they might like one day they might not like the next day, so I wouldn't suggest buying anything by the case unless you have more than one cat. I did spend a lot of time at cat food stores buying one can of everything, then back the next week doing it all over again. I simply went down the list on Tanya's site buying in order of the least amount of phosphorus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you both! I do have ferals on my property who I have TNRed and a couple who hang around who will definitely get the food if Jamie does not eat it. As for buying one each of the low phosphorous, that is probably the best idea. His vet said that first and foremost he has to eat. He leans toward wet food, so that is one good thing.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you can find it in the US but Meowing Heads is low phosphorus, it is a UK company. My cats both love it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Jamie just had his latest kidney test (BUN/creatinine) yesterday which we do on a regular basis. His BUN was 41, which was down from 42 and creatinine was normal, down from 2.2. The Renal Index, however, indicated kidney failure projected for the next 24 months. He is not diabetic or hyperthyridic. We are going to schedule an echocardiogram and xrays. Ultrasound done previously showed nothing significant.

So this is my question: I have studied Tanya's information, which is overwhelmingly impressive, and would like to know which of the non-prescription food was successful with their cats. I prefer that he eat wet, but if there are any thoughts on dry that will be appreciated as well. He rejected Science and Royal Canin already. Tanya has a massive lists of foods and I am just trying not to purchase one of each although it may come to that. I am not as concerned about cost if Jamie would eat the food; what bothers me is that it all goes to waste.
I read good reviews about farmina for urinary tract so I bought a bunch today. I no longer worry so much about ingredients like peas as long as meat is the first ingredient

Last edited: