Oscar, the kitten attacked by a dog.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Posting this for another member here, NayaZ.

Oscar was found lying at the bottom of a lady's garden on Friday. The lady that found him kept him in a handbag for about 18 hours and was feeding him baby biscuits soaked in cows milk! After Naya found out about him, she rushed him to the vet and the vet said that he was most likely attacked by a dog. The lady saw another black kitten but he ran off and despite the lady looking for hours, he has not yet been found.

Because of the attack, Oscar has severe concussion and nerve damage, resulting in partial paralysis that we are hoping isn't permanent. He can't stand or sit up but does move his back legs and moves his front legs a little. He was completely flea infested and his ears were caked with dirt. He is now flea free and his ears are a lot better. He has an abcess on his shoulder from the dogs teeth that the vet drained with a needle and Oscar is on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

Naya has been giving him subcutaneous fluids every few hours, tube feeding him formula and Oscar will lick about a tablespoonful of kitten wet food from her fingers a few times a day. It takes him almost half an hour and he's exhausted by the end. He is urinating and moving his bowels so at least we know they're working. He can hold his head up for a minute or two and can sometimes turn himself over by twisting his body a bit.

Naya, Oscar and I would really appreciate you sending vibes for the little guy. He has a big purr and lots of personality. I promise to keep you updated on his progress.

His pictures are in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho....php?p=1021234

mugsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! He is so adorable! I hope he makes a fast and pain-free recovery!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! He is such a beuatiful little guy. He is in the best hands he could be in, so I know if he is meant to pull through, he will. Sending Get Better Vibes across the pond to him and all your little charges.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Major vibes coming your way for Little Oscar!!!

Our Humane Society has a little girl that had a similar story. Most likely attacked by a dog, she has neurologic damage and when she runs, sometimes her front legs stop and her back legs keep going so she flips over a lot. The good news is that as she gets older she is regaining some control. Young animals sometimes recover from these things much better than if it had happened to an adult. I hope this is the case for Oscar.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little guy. He looks like such a sweetheart. Hope he recovers well and grows up strong and mischevious.

nayaz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning folks... Naya here, Oscar's carer. Just thought I would up date you all on the morning of Day 3.

Mr Oscar protested so much at his tube feed this morning that he bit through BOTH tubes (didn't break off any) and ended up having to be syringe fed... AND.... he swiped at me with his right paw! His left is still fairly immobile due to the abscess on his shoulder, but there is definitely more movement in the right.

And you know... after injecting fluids into his neck, showing plastic tubes down his throat, putting foul tasting antibiotics in his mouth... I picked him up for a cuddle and he purred and tried to head bonk my hand... awww!

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NayaZ

Morning folks... Naya here, Oscar's carer. Just thought I would up date you all on the morning of Day 3.

Mr Oscar protested so much at his tube feed this morning that he bit through BOTH tubes (didn't break off any) and ended up having to be syringe fed... AND.... he swiped at me with his right paw! His left is still fairly immobile due to the abscess on his shoulder, but there is definitely more movement in the right.

And you know... after injecting fluids into his neck, showing plastic tubes down his throat, putting foul tasting antibiotics in his mouth... I picked him up for a cuddle and he purred and tried to head bonk my hand... awww!
Awwwwwww

He's a fighter, that's for sure! Bless you for taking care of him.