Ornery cat

Anuranfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a stray cat this last summer. He’s a very affectionate adult cat. However he is very demanding when he wants attention. If he doesn’t get what he wants when he wants it he will claw any furniture he is near. He has 2 scratch posts but won’t use them. He only claws the furniture or carpet when he wants something and is not getting it. We think this was a habit he had when with his previous owner. We love Cooper in all ways but this. Here is a picture of Cooper before he became a member of our family. He liked to sleep in the chicken’s nest box. Not unusual to find a couple eggs under him. LOL
5C81861A-2E58-41D0-9D30-10D5DC4068E6.jpeg

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The little guy thinks he's a chicken XD He's adorable, I love this type. They are also very difficult, personality-wise. There was this advise - it was used in children not cats, but I grew to believe it works with them too... whenever he wants something you can't give him, shower him with affection instead. I feel everybody wants attention and love more than they want any non-essential stuff. Plus, by paying attention to him, you may distract them from the thing they initially wanted and forget all about it.

And if discipline is the problem, sometimes a time-out in a different room (devoid of furniture to destroy, preferably) might get the message across that there are some boundaries even he can't cross. Good luck!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry about your problem; but I have to laugh a bit about it! My cat Beju did so many things when he wanted our attention: he would “twang” the flexible door stops on the wall; he’d push on the bi-fold doors; he’d open a cabinet door just enough to let it bang shut 😆. Looking back, I guess he got what he wanted-out attention! I miss Beju 😕 and his funny bids for attention...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I’d give the guy what he wants ;) he looks so regal in the chicken box and I’m sure he deserves whatever he wants :)

I understand this is not a piece of advice you were looking for though, so there’s one thing you can do to break the habit: ignore his clawing every time he does it. I’m guessing you react whenever he claws into the furniture, so in a way he gets the attention he demands, even if that’s the negative one. You’d need to ignore the scratching every single time and every family member would need to do this impeccably. After some time that will work, he’ll eventually learn he doesn’t get attention through destruction. Your furniture will pay the price though, but you can temporarily cover it with sticky tape or other covers to protect it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anuranfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice. We’ve had some luck with giving Cooper some timeout when he’s being bad. Thankfully he’s not a vengeful cat, he just wants to be loved. While he is getting familiar with our habits and likes, we are getting familiar with his habits and likes. It’s hilarious when he thinks he’s finally pushed us too far. He will lay down and hide his head under a sofa or chair. Not his whole body, just his head. Then if you reach down and pet him, he will back out, sit on his haunches and look at you. Then he acts like nothing ever happened. It’s impossible to stay angry with him.
Cheers

Attachments