Oreo Has Diabetes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about not updating in so long. I had nothing new to report for a while there, but unfortunately now I do. He started on Levemir insulin a while back which is keeping his sugars contained very well, in fact he's now on a lower dose than he started on. Hopefullly he will soon be off insulin altogether. That's the good news.

Now for the bad. His limp came back and got worse over time. After several visits to the vet and a 2nd opinion and 3 different pain medications, none of which helped one bit, my vet did xrays. It looks like it may be cancer in his left knee. :(

So Tuesday he's going in for a needle aspiration bone biopsy and a chest xray to see if there are any lesions there. Bone cancers metastasize to the lungs first.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, that poor sweet Oreo, having to go through this. And you, as well. :hugs: :hearthrob: :hugs: I will be sending many good wishes and hopes for good news on Tuesday, or the best news possible. :vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers:

Please let us know as soon as you do.
Liquid Mice 400x495.jpg

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Margd for the flowers and the funny, lol. Thanks Eric.

He's about the same. He still hobbles. Poor baby. I really dread Tuesday. It'll take a few days to get the results back.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I got his appt changed to 4pm today at the referral clinic. I was trying to spare Oreo 2 separate visits but the referral clininc wanted me to drop him off and leave him for about 8 hours, that way they would have enough time to do an eval and a biopsy under sedation if that's what the surgeon decided. This is the clinic where I've had not so good experiences before. Also they a mixture of bad reviews online. This vet has seen Oreo's films but has not seen him in person yet. It has stressed him out to no end being dropped off, I really want to avoid that.

I would rather bring him in WHEN the surgeon could see him but things are done for the surgeons convenience, not for the patient's. So like it or not I'll have to take him in for a separate appt for the biopsy which I think they will want to do and just do the eval today. It's not easy on me either. I'm not young and Oreo is heavy. Last week I hurt my back getting him into the carrier and it stayed sore for 2 days.

Meanwhile I called the 2nd opinion vet. She can't do a biopsy but could do the amputation if he has CA and it has not spread yet. It's not cheap either, but she figures it's LESS expensive there than at the referral clinic which has a 24/7 ER. They quoted around $1000 for the amputation and they figure that it will be around that for the biospy alone. Does this seem excessive?

God, why does it always seem to cost $2000 no matter what? That kind of money doesn't grow on trees, not for me anyway. And it'll be even more expensive at the referral clinic. I don't know what to do. I've been crying all morning. Life is just too much. I haven't told you all the other crap that's going on but it also involves money or lack of it.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back. Dr. B thinks it's osteosarcoma :( He said it looks like bone tissue is being eaten away at the distal end of the femur (at his left knee). Thursday morning Oreo will have a bone biopsy.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although Dr. B said bone cancers are more common in dogs and more lethal, he would have to do some research into how cats are affected. Just now I did some searching too. What I found was not good. It said up to 90% of these cancers have already metastasized at the time of diagnosis.

:(

margd

Veteran
Purraise
:bawling::(:mad: I'm so sorry to hear this. Even though you suspected this was the case, to hear it from the vet has to be heart breaking.

Until you find out that Oreo has cancer and that it's metastasized, I'll be doing my version of praying that there is still hope for your dear boy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::bicolorcat:

Many hugs to you, Ginny. :catrub::catrub::catrub::gingercat2::gingercat2::gingercat2:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
IMG_2872.JPG

Ginny is having problems uploading a photo of Oreo so here is one that I have. It's from a few weeks ago and shows him in his carrier to the vet. Poor baby! :redheartpump: black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif :redheartpump: His eyes are so sad. I wish that I could give him a big kiss and take all of his pain away.

Gepetto_wishing_3035.jpg

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Margd. I still don't know what I did wrong. Here Oreo had just been seen by the 2nd opinon vet and was safely back in the carrier and so ready to go home! He's so cute! But I am partial.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back a while ago from taking Oreo in for his bone biopsy. It'll take 10 days to get the results back.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oreo's procedure is finished and he's sitting up looking around but still groggy and getting IV fluids. He'll be ready to come home by 2pm.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Ten days? :jawdrop: You're going to be a nervous wreck the entire time. After you get over being a nervous wreck for today. I really hope ... Never mind. As I was about to write, you posted that the procedure is over and that Oreo will be able to be picked up at 2:00 pm. Give that brave little boy a big kiss and snuggle from me.:catrub: