Oreo Has Diabetes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, actually his ears are warm. I think really think part of it has to do with stress, his vessels constrict. Still planning to take him to the vet on Thursday morning for curve testing. He's going to hate me. I didn't get the ReliOn meter. Now I'm just going to order the AlphaTrak online, the expensive one. It's only $50 for a set up, strips not included. They are as expensive as the ones I have now. It's what the vets use and it takes 1/2 the amount of blood that the current one I have does. If I'd only known, I wouldn't have wasted as much money as I have.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
How infuriating about the testing meter. :mad: :angryfire: I don't know how many times I've ordered something, only to find there are better ones out there. Sending sympathetic vibes...:vibes::vibes::vibes:And also, good luck vibes for Oreo's vet visit...:vibes::vibes::vibes:I hope everything goes well!:crossfingers:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I hope so too!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The relion meter requires a very small amt of blood I have no issues with mine. The alpha track meter strips are very expensive and are only available online.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oreo scratched the fire out of my hand last Thursday when I tried to get him into the carrier for his curve test at the vet office. Since then I've gotten a bigger carrier AND a ReliOn glucometer but haven't used either one yet. Wanted to let my hand heal first, it's much better today. It may be I will NEVER get Oreo back in a carrier of any size, and I'm going to have to figure out a new approach to testing him. He is not a climber and does not like being put on top of the counter so I'm going to try restraining him on the floor with my legs while crouched over him. He's going to have to get used to this. I've been giving insulin blind and so far so good but it's still dangerous. They all still miss their kibble and look for it, but reluctantly accept the Purebites as a substitute treat. Honey is doing much better completely off the prednisolone for several weeks now. Nat too, and Oreo hasn't thrown up either since switching to low carb/no dry. They clean their bowls at mealtimes.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I am really curious to hear how the new meter works. It makes sense that you wait until your hand is recovered, though. Heavens only knows that you don't want to gash it back open again. Have you ever considered one of the restraining bags on the market to keep him immobilized? I say that without knowing if it's even possible to get him into one - since he fights going in the carrier so hard, he might struggle just as hard with a restraining bag.

It is such tremendous news that Honey is doing well without her prednisolone and that Oreo and Nat are keeping their food down. Sending vibes that this continues! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :grouphug:

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oreo scratched the fire out of my hand last Thursday when I tried to get him into the carrier for his curve test at the vet office. Since then I've gotten a bigger carrier AND a ReliOn glucometer but haven't used either one yet. Wanted to let my hand heal first, it's much better today. It may be I will NEVER get Oreo back in a carrier of any size, and I'm going to have to figure out a new approach to testing him. He is not a climber and does not like being put on top of the counter so I'm going to try restraining him on the floor with my legs while crouched over him. He's going to have to get used to this. I've been giving insulin blind and so far so good but it's still dangerous. They all still miss their kibble and look for it, but reluctantly accept the Purebites as a substitute treat. Honey is doing much better completely off the prednisolone for several weeks now. Nat too, and Oreo hasn't thrown up either since switching to low carb/no dry. They clean their bowls at mealtimes.
I've been in California attending a memorial service for the last 65 days but I have been thinking of you and Oreo a lot. Sorry to hear you had such a time getting him into the carrier- big hugs to you both for that stress! Neosporin time?

I know many are able to approach the kitty from behind and hold between their knees, that would work as well as the burrito wrap- whatever works. Glad your kitties are doing better, i did not know Oreo was vomiting, does your vet know the cause of his vomiting, if I may ask?

I was also wondering what size lancet you are using, most meters come with 33 guage and that is way too small. You want 25-28G, I think they are sold as alternate site testing. Have you ever tried using Feliway during test times?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really curious to hear how the new meter works. It makes sense that you wait until your hand is recovered, though. Heavens only knows that you don't want to gash it back open again. Have you ever considered one of the restraining bags on the market to keep him immobilized? I say that without knowing if it's even possible to get him into one - since he fights going in the carrier so hard, he might struggle just as hard with a restraining bag.

It is such tremendous news that Honey is doing well without her prednisolone and that Oreo and Nat are keeping their food down. Sending vibes that this continues! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :grouphug:

I remember you sending me that link for the restraining bag and at this point I might have to order it seeing as how I'm running out of options. They are settling down with their wet food but they keep begging for more, especially Oreo and Nat. But when I give them an extra little snack midday they all come out to eat. I think I'm giving them enough though considering the difference in calories they got with the dry food. Thanks for the vibes. I need all the help I can get!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in California attending a memorial service for the last 65 days but I have been thinking of you and Oreo a lot. Sorry to hear you had such a time getting him into the carrier- big hugs to you both for that stress! Neosporin time?

I know many are able to approach the kitty from behind and hold between their knees, that would work as well as the burrito wrap- whatever works. Glad your kitties are doing better, i did not know Oreo was vomiting, does your vet know the cause of his vomiting, if I may ask?

I was also wondering what size lancet you are using, most meters come with 33 guage and that is way too small. You want 25-28G, I think they are sold as alternate site testing. Have you ever tried using Feliway during test times?

Thanks Ruth for thinking about us! I'm using a 30 gauge lancet but with this new ReliOn meter I may not need a bigger size since it requires half the amount of blood than the other meter. We'll see how it goes.

Oreo's vomiting happened only 2 days the week he got diagnosed and none since (hope that continues!) He was starting to spill ketones in his urine at that time. The vet said he was concerned that it might be pancreatitis if the anorexia and vomiting continued.

I haven't used the Feliway but I do still have a spray bottle of the stuff. I wonder if it goes out of date? My hand is much better, it doesn't even hurt now and yes I washed it and used Neo.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Any update on Oreo? I know you're waiting to try the meter on him, but I was just wondering how he is today. :wave2:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been at work all day. He was waiting at the door and fussed at me, along with the others, that I wasn't here to feed them on time :/ Right now his belly is full so he's fine. Giving Lantus 4 units twice a day.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Here's hoping Oreo keeps doing well! Love to all five kitties. :lovecat2:

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear Oreo isn't had an ongoing vomiting problem! My Tiger did have acute pancreatitis that turned to chronic and it was a nightmare. Fingers crossed that Oreo never has to deal with pancreatitis! Although I haven't had time to post much hre, I am still thinking of your Oreo and hoping it is going better for you all. Please let us know how you are doing!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ruth and Margd! Oreo threw up before I could get their food put out one morning this week. It was only saliva, and it did not hinder his appetite one bit. When I got the food put out, he gobbled it up and it stayed down. So I'm thinking he was having some hunger acidity. That happens to Nat sometimes too. Anyway, I'm going to take him next Friday for his curve and a recheck to make sure he does not have pancreatitis or ketones in his urine. Last I posted I was giving him 4 units twice a day of the Lantus. I had to work my way up to this dose slowly and now that he's been on it solidly for over a week now I think it's time to see how that dose is doing. They will have to give him a little bit of a sedative.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update! He sounds like he's doing so much better.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ruth and Margd! Oreo threw up before I could get their food put out one morning this week. It was only saliva, and it did not hinder his appetite one bit. When I got the food put out, he gobbled it up and it stayed down. So I'm thinking he was having some hunger acidity. That happens to Nat sometimes too. Anyway, I'm going to take him next Friday for his curve and a recheck to make sure he does not have pancreatitis or ketones in his urine. Last I posted I was giving him 4 units twice a day of the Lantus. I had to work my way up to this dose slowly and now that he's been on it solidly for over a week now I think it's time to see how that dose is doing. They will have to give him a little bit of a sedative.
Do you check ketones at home? My vet said to get Ketostix at Target, so I could check Tiger at home. I will continue sending healing vines and good wishes r you and Oreo, I hope his curve isn't going to require a sedative, poor baby.

(Not that you need anything more to worry about, but, have you had bloodwork done on Oreo, if so, did it include testing kidney function, i.e. BUN,CREA and urinalysis? Not always, but sometimes an early symptom is clear or white foamy early AM vomit. Hopefully, Oreo is simply early morning hunger like you said. My Tiger was very early stage CKD, but it was not ever a major issue, thankfully.)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Oreo had a panel done when I took him in back in April. I can't recall what his BUN and Creat were but I have the copies at home. A urine sample was drawn too. He threw up again this morning right before breakfast. Then ate heartily. What I usually do when I'm off is divide their meals so that they get 2 big meals and 2 small ones. Those 2 mornings he vomited, I had forgotten to give an extra meal the night before to hold them til morning. At least that what I hope it was. :/

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today Oreo is at the vet having his curve testing done. I just called and talked to the vet taking care of him. His first +2 hour check is 163! Even while stressed out, poor baby! I couldn't hear him meowing in the background but the tech said he wasn't too happy :(

Hopefully he will get to come home sooner rather than later. I've got my ReliOn glucometer there for them to compare with their AlphaTrak.

He's been having scabs reappear these last few weeks. It seems like the very same ones he used to have before I took them all off grain a few years ago. His poor little back used to be covered in scabs which he would lick until they bled. I"ll have the vet look at him and see what might be going on. Maybe the Lantus insulin doesn't agree with him?

I'm only giving two other food sources that may be suspect, one is the Bonita flakes and the other Purebites. I didn't notice him scratching, licking, and pulling out his fur while still on the ProZinc insulin. There may be some ingredient in his wet food that may be causing the problem too. I didn't expect this to happen. Will update again when I know something.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Good news that you got him to the vet! I know that couldn't have been easy.

I really hope the vet has some helpful suggestions about the scabs. Having had a dog with a similar problem, I know how really uncomfortable those things can be for our poor babies. In my dog's case, she was allergic to fleas but poor Oreo seems to have a far more complex case of allergies. Poor sweet boy. :sickcat:

I'm looking forward to hearing how the two meters compare.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was much easier getting him into the new larger carrier. I didn't even give him time to try what you called the "4-leg-splay to prevent incarceration" method, lol. And partly he wasn't expecting me to get him, so the element of surprise helped. But I can be sure he will remember this for a long time and will make me pay hell getting him in there again. I hope I don't have to go back for a while at least.

I miss my kitty. Can't wait to get him back home. I hope he doesn't think I've just dumped him off and left him there for good. :(